Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:46 PM   #111

T-

I am as persoanlly surprised as you are! I added the Sony to this review at JimC's urging. Frankly, I was not expecting the big surprise that I have experienced.

I have been pleased and surprised by the image quality of the Sony A-230 DSLR camera. The Sony A-230 has consistently stood up to the challenge presented by the Canon XS DSLR camera.

I for one, at this point in time, favor the Sony A-230 camera and its amazing image quality. In reality I actually have more Canon brand resources: please read this as: the required electronic flashes, the necessary lenses, and appropiate accessory items.

None the less the Sony Alpha cameras have managed to capture my interest and motivation. Where will I go? Most probably to the Sony A-550 camera next.

Sincerely,

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2009, 11:07 PM   #112

Rita-

We have multilple subject here. Let's begin with the outstanding flash range of the Sony H-20. The H-20 actually has a flash range that honestly exceeds the flash range provided by both the Sony A-230 DSLR camera and the Canon XS DSLR camera.

That Sony H-20 flash range is very good. The H-20 camera also has excellent image quality for a super zoom point and shoot camera. But, no, the Sony H-20 super zoom will never produce the excellent image quality of those 2 DSLR cameras: the Canon XS and the Sony A-230 cameras. It is good, but, unfortunately not as good as a DSLR camera.

As you might have noticed, Rita, the image quality of the Sony H-20 is rather unusual. It is right up there!However the Sony H-20 is indeed a point and shoot super zoom camera, not a DSLR camera. It is not magic nor a miracle.

Unfortunately, the Panasonic FZ-28 is no longer available on most dealer shelves. So your only realistic option is the new FZ-35 camera that has just been introduced by Panasonic.

Yes, there are indeed a few super zoom options available and that are very good,as well. I think the Kodak Z-1012 has to be right up there with the best of the super zoom cameras. It can operate at ISO 800 and has that lovely Kodak color. So that is surely a viable super zoom option.

However, Rita, at the bottom line, is the fact, that DSLR cameras will always have a somewhat better image quality than any of the super zoom, point and shoot cameras. By the way, finding a FZ-28 now is virtually impossible. If you do find one, they are going for $400 to 450.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Sep 4, 2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 11:13 PM   #113

Folks-

This thread is beginning to have a life of its own. Bradley and I will continue to post side by side photo samples, but we might not be able to get to every question and comment as we head up to this Holiday Weekend.

Please be patient with the two of us, we are only human. We will attempt to answer everything, but it might indeed be a bit slower than normal, due to the heavy traffic on this thread.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 3, 2009, 11:17 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Hiro, my friend, I sincerely hope that you will remain with us-

Sarah Joyce
Thanks for your kind words Sarah. I'll definitely stick around.

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2009, 11:20 PM   #115

Hiro, my friend-

I absolutely guarantee that it will be interesting and exciting. So, please fasten your seat belt, and off we go!

Sarah and Bradley
Old Sep 3, 2009, 11:32 PM   #116

Sarah,
Thanks for the discussion of the flash comparison. Please as you do these test samples, please let us know the shooting distance you are working with.
Rita
ritap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2009, 12:04 AM   #117

Rita-

I will be happy do that If flash distance/range is important to you, Bradley and I will be more than willing to let you know the full details on the exact distance.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 4, 2009, 7:18 AM   #118

Default Testing requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Rita-

I will be happy do that If flash distance/range is important to you, Bradley and I will be more than willing to let you know the full details on the exact distance.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks Sarah, I appreciate it.
I think so far, some of the nuances that your more trained eyes are seeing are sometimes missed by me.
In my mind one of the benefits of the test you are doing is to really see how much distance or light reduction has to be introduced into your shooting situation before you see a large significant change in picture quality. Since we are testing both DSLR and point and shoot it will help us better understand the range limitations of our point and shoots and whether or not we can live with that limitation.

I would really appreciate seeing the Panasonic FZ28 in your test since obviously the FZ35 is not yet available to include (my local store still has an FZ28). I have seen some serious claims of capability on the FZ35 that make it intriguing. And especially since this is more expensive and has a longer zoom, that comparison to your DSLRs is key to point out where the shooting situations really start to separate themselves between the DSLR's and the long range super zoom.

Thanks again,
Rita
ritap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2009, 9:11 AM   #119

Hi Sarah, in looking at the comparison shot of the red olympus camera, indeed the a 230 was a tad sharper but the canon had a bit more color saturation (in the second comparison you made with center focus), then the other comparison with the facial picture it looked to me as the A230 had a more lively color...in other words, less of a washed out look.

Last edited by anthony_b; Sep 4, 2009 at 9:26 AM.
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2009, 11:37 AM   #120

You look great in all the pictures but I think both Sony's are better than the Canon....JMHO
Stan C. is offline   Reply With Quote