Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 4, 2009, 11:57 AM   #121

anthony_b-

Yes, there are subtle differences between the Canon XS and the Sony A-230. I think that the new kit lens, the better menu, and the ability of the A-230 to shoot at ISO 3200 are definite pluses for that DSLR.

Keep in mind that we were yesterday forced to shoot around the house as we awaited that computer delivery. We had now formal studio which would have made things easier. That makes things a bit jury rigged and more informal. Thanks for chiming in and being a part of the thread.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2009, 12:17 PM   #122

Default Panasonic FZ-28 Stage Photo

This one is for Rita-

I have been searching through old files looking for Panasonic FZ-28 sample photos. Here is one taken at ISO 800 from a distance of about 30 feet without flash and hand held.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 4, 2009, 12:47 PM   #123

Default Panasonic FZ-28 Flash at 45 Feet

Rita-

Here is a hand held FZ-28 photo where the ISO was switched to ISO Auto and the FZ-28's built-in flash was used to trigger a DigiSlave Model 3000 slave flash. The distance was about 45 feet.

Rita, are these the kind of FZ-28 photos you wanted?

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 4, 2009, 1:07 PM   #124

If I can get pictures like that from my FZ 35 I will be more than happy. Can't wait to start experimenting this weekend !
Stan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2009, 1:42 PM   #125

Hi Stan-

Thanks for your post. Yes, the FZ-28 is a pretty amazing camera. Thus, I would suppose the FZ-35 will be as well. Please don't be discouraged if your first attempts don't exactly match our photo samples. We bring to these cameras the experience of being a highly motivated hobbyist/photographer for over 60 years.

Also please keep in mind that we are always happy to handle any and all questions and photo technique discussions.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 4, 2009, 1:50 PM   #126

Default Flash Photos at 25 feet, Anyone?

This photo sample is for, littlejohn-

This is a flash photo taken with the Sony H-10 from a distance of 25 feet, using the camera's built-in flash.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 4, 2009, 3:36 PM   #127

My next question is then, if I should choose to purchase the sony a230............
Because Sony has the special lens mount, I would then be locked into a Sony or Pentax(?), correct? Unless of course I wanted to repurchase the same lenses for (eg) a Canon or Nikon later. Which leads me to --- Does Sony historical have good dslr cameras? Are the more expensive models as good as the 230 seems to be in comparison with Canons? Like I said earlier, I have always been told Canon was the leader so that is why my questions are geared in that direction.
Is 10 mp enough mp in a dslr? How quickly will the need arise (in general) to go to a more advanced camera? I know no one is a fortune teller, just curious if you might have an idea.
I am really grateful for the information because I can tell you in our area there is no one that can answer my questions.
Thanks,
t
tcn1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2009, 5:14 PM   #128

T-

Thanks for your post. It clearly shows that more info is needed. Let's handle each topic individually.

DSLR Lens Mounts: Each camera manufacturer uses a proprietary lens mount. Thus, DSLR lenses made with a Canon lens mount, cannot be installed on a Nikon DSLR, on a Pentax DSLR, on a Sony DSLR, or an Olympus DSLR etc. None of the DSLR lens mounts are either interchangable or universal. Any over the years some camera manufacturers have even changed their proprietary lens mounts several times. Canon has changed their mount 3 times in the last 20 years. Minolta changed their DSLR lens mount in 1985, and then when Sony purchased the combined assets of Konica-Minolta in around 2005, Sony adopted the Minolta "A" mount as their propietary DSLR lens mount. It is for that reason that Minolta "A" mount AF DSLR lenses can be used on Sony DSLR cameras and they will work perfectly.

Earlier in this thread, I spoke about the need to be very careful in making a DSLR decision. Essentially you are "buy into a system. You may change DSLR bodies, but you keep your lenses to use on the new DSLR camera body. Thus you can see why changing systems can be an expensive proposition.

Is 10mp enough in a DSLR camera: IMO, I find 10mp just fine, once you get above 14 or 15mp then, you get into a problem associated with "pixel density." The size of an APS-C imager used in many DSLR cameras is fixed in its physical size. Therefore, if you desire to add additional pixels to an APS-C imager, beyond about 12mp, all of the pixels, or photo sites as they are technically called, must all be physically smaller. As the individual pixels become physically smaller they individually become less efficient at capture the light that makes your photo. That, simply stated, is a short description of the pixel density problem.

Does Sony Historically Make a Good DSLR Camera? The simple answer is yes, they do. They got all of the KM engineers when they purchased KM and they have also invested millions in new product development. I added the Sony A-230 to this evaluation at JimC's suggestion. I actually had only little hands on experience with Sony DSLR camera before this thread. I had used borrowed Sony DSLR cameras for short periods of time. However, I had tons of experience with Canon, Nikon, Pentax, and Olympus DSLR cameras over many years.

I have to be very honest with you and tell you that I have found that I really like the handling, layout, and the menu structure on the Sony A-230 DSLR camera a lot.

If I purchase a higher level DSLR camera, will it take longer for me to grow out of that camera body? There is no really clear cut answer to that question. If you are not the kind of person who has to have the very latest gear, your DSLR camera body turn around period, will naturally be longer. You must remember that when you opt to go for a higher level DSLR camera, your initial investment increases. Sometimes when a new model is introduced to a product line, the DSLR camera that was replaced falls in price rapidly. For example, that happened when Pentax introduced the new K-7 DSLR camera. The K-7 replaced the K-20 camera which had been selling for around $1,100.00. In a period of 2 to 3 months the price of brand new K-20 models plummeted to $699.00, or just about a 50% reduction in price.

Well T, that covers the issues raised in your post. Have a great Holiday Weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 4, 2009, 6:36 PM   #129

That helps a lot! I was not aware that each company had its own lens mounts. I was concerned about the camera only have 10 mp but it sounds as though that is sufficient.
I appreciate your answers.
Thanks,
t
tcn1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2009, 7:25 PM   #130

Hi T,

Sarah already replied to your questions excellently.

You might want to check out these articles also about the myth of megapixels.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/08/te...y/08pogue.html

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote