Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 4, 2009, 6:29 PM   #131

Hi Sarah,

Those Panasonic FZ-28 sample photos are great! Thanks for sharing!

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2009, 6:48 PM   #132

T & Hiro-

Of course you are both very welcome. The whole idea of the thread, as I understand it, please correct me if I am wrong, was to provide a centralized information source and photo samples, where possible, on super zooms and entry level DSLR cameras.

We hope that you are enjoying a great Holiday weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2009, 6:56 PM   #133

Default Now Here is an Really Good Built in Flash

Here is another photo sample for littlejohn-

Once again it was taken with the Sony H-10 camera using just the H-10's built-in flash unit.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 4, 2009, 7:05 PM   #134

Default Panasonic FZ-28 Existing Light Photo

Here is another photo sample for Rita-

It is a hand held, no flash shot with the Panasonic FZ-28 camera taken from a distance of about 22 to 25 feet.

Rita, you asked how the FZ-28 compares to either the Sony H-20 or the Kodak Z-980 camera. Well without a doubt, the FZ-28 is the king of the hill. The Sony H-20 is only a 10X optical zoom camera, but it is one of the best cameras out there if you shoot in the full auto mode, and it has one of the best built-in flash units in the industry ( up to 20+ feet of Flash Range).

The Kodak Z-980 is one of the current crop of 24X optical zoom cameras. However, it does not have the high iso capability of the FZ-28, but neither are its 24X zoom cousins, the Nikon P-90 and Pentax X-70. All three of those cameras are produced in a single Chinese factory. However, if you like to use external flashes, the Z-890 has a nice hot shoe.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Sep 4, 2009 at 7:17 PM.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 8:43 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
The whole idea of the thread, as I understand it, please correct me if I am wrong, was to provide a centralized information source and photo samples, where possible, on super zooms and entry level DSLR cameras.
Yes Sarah, you are absolutely right. Thanks!

Quote:
We hope that you are enjoying a great Holiday weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Yep, we are. We started with Sushi lunch.

Hope you are having a great weekend too.

- Hiro
Old Sep 4, 2009, 11:51 PM   #136

Default The Sony A-230 at ISO 1600!

Hi there-

I got tired of paying bills and pulled out the Sony A-230. Bradley happily posed for me. This was taken at ISO 1600 using 2nd curtain flash from the A-230 DSLR's built in flash unit, at a distance of 20 feet, using my non IS Sigma 18-125mm lens at full zoom, 125mm.

I bet you are scratching your head and wondering what the heck is 2nd curtain flash.
The F stop used was F 5.6 and the shutter speed 1/25 of a second, with the ISO at 1600. In 2nd curtain flash, the camera takes the photo at F 5.6 at 1/25th, and just as the shutter is closing it puts out about a 1/2 power blink of the built-in flash unit to get rid of shadows.

I was very pleased with the resulting photo considering we were at 20 feet and I was hand holding the camera. The super steady shot feature built into the A-230 camera body made my cheap Sigma 18-125 non IS equipped lens (cost $165) instantly have IS!

No point & shoot super zoom could ever produce this image quality at ISO 1600, not even the king of the hill, the Panasonic FZ-28! That is where the DSLR really scores big due to its much larger CMOS imager, that is 15 times larger than the imager even used on the FZ-28!

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Sep 4, 2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 12:21 AM   #137

Quote:
Hi there-

I got tired of paying bills and pulled out the Sony A-230. Bradley happily posed for me. This was taken at ISO 1600 using 2nd curtain flash from the A-230 DSLR's built in flash unit, at a distance of 20 feet, using my non IS Sigma 18-125mm lens at full zoom, 125mm.

Sarah Joyce
So, from this I understand that you are happy with the capability of the built-in flash on the Sony a230 at the 20 feet range.

Sarah, please know how much I appreciate the effort you are putting in here to help educated us. Thanks also to Bradley for being such a willing model and guinea pig!

This picture of Bradley from 20 feet that was done so well with the Sony A230, you are saying could not be matched with the point and shoots. Can you show us the same with one of the point and shoots in order to drive the point home of how different it would be?

You are my hero!

Rita
ritap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2009, 9:12 AM   #138

Quick question....if I purchase another lense other then the kit lens (sony a230), lets say the 18mm-250mm, does that mean I could put away the kit lense for good or sell it since my new lense would cover all of what the kit lense would cover and more ?
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2009, 9:47 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_b View Post
Quick question....if I purchase another lense other then the kit lens (sony a230), lets say the 18mm-250mm, does that mean I could put away the kit lense for good or sell it since my new lense would cover all of what the kit lense would cover and more ?
I think that depends on the picture quality you are after (flexibility vs quality). Usually a prime lens is better than a normal zoom lens and a normal zoom lens is better than a super zoom lens if your budget is less than $500.

I'm an Olympus user, so I could get a 18-180mm instead of 14-42mm & 40-150mm. But, the IQ of the Oly 18-180mm is not really great. So, I decided to go with two lenses.

That being said, the Sony 18-250mm ƒ/3.5-6.3 has a high IQ according to slrgear.com.

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...ct/1125/cat/83

- Hiro

Last edited by hiro1963; Sep 5, 2009 at 9:55 AM.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 10:13 AM   #140

Good Morning to all-

Rita-

Yes, I will certainly take a comparable super zoom photo of Bradley so that you can actually see the difference side by side between the super zoom and the DSLR cameras. Remember one thing however, the A-230 by being set to ISO 1600 actually took the photo, the flash which came as the shutter was closing used somewhere between 30 to 50% of it actual power, to provide a small amount of "fill flash" to get rid of those deep shadows so characteristic of existing light photos.

anthony_b-

Yes, if you purchased the Sony 18-250mm lens you would not need the kit lens except for macro or close-up photos if you desired. There are a good number of Sony users who use and like that lens. To me, there is too much distortion at the wide angle end of the lens, it is too expensive, it is not very "bright," and I would be the first to admit that it offers the real convenience of a single lens solution. Hiro also provided some good information as well.

Hiro-

Many thanks for the link to slr gear. If a person shoots a lot of low light level photos, a lens beginning at F 3.5 might not be the best solution. Your example of the ZD 18-180mm lens is a perfect one. I own that lens, but I hardly ever use it due to its poorer than normal optical and image quality.

Bradley and I hope that everyone is enjoying a great Holiday Weekend.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Sep 5, 2009 at 10:16 AM.