Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 5, 2009, 10:52 PM   #171

tcn1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2009, 10:54 PM   #172

Old Sep 5, 2009, 10:55 PM   #173

Old Sep 5, 2009, 10:56 PM   #174

Old Sep 5, 2009, 11:03 PM   #175

The next one is a typical photo we would take from home - birthday party as it was. I was standing at the end of the table so probably 2-3 ft. away.
In the last is not really an action shot b/c i don't think she was moving hardly at all but............ demonstrates another shooting place.
My skills are horrid but I understand filling the pic. The worst part of with my camera is the shutter lage and lack of continuous action but as you have seen from above it is an ancient camera!
Thanks,
t
Old Sep 5, 2009, 11:10 PM   #176

This last photo is a school program - it was held in a gym but normally they are held in an auditorium that is dark, not as light as this gym. My daughter is on the risers so she is probably 30 ft. Does that help with all of my scenrios?
Old Sep 5, 2009, 11:13 PM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Hi there, T-

Let's see if we can analyze why the photos you took at the football game of the cheerleaders, went wrong. Would you mind if we did that? I think it might be helpful to all of those who are following this thread.

(1) You mentioned a point & shoot camera, what camera was it exactly.

(2) What was the lighting that you used to take the photos?

(3) If you used flash, was it an external flash, or the camera's built-in flash?

(4) If you used either kind of flash, how many feet were you distant from the cheerleaders?

(5) Were you using the fully automatic mode or something different?

(6) Did you move out of the spectator grandstand area to get closer to the cheerleaders in preparation for taking your photos?

(7) Could you please post one of the photos taken of the cheerleaders, to help in analyzing the photo?

Bradley and I hope that you are enjoying a wonderful Holiday Weekend. We have a small shaft of sunlight and the heavy rain has just stopped. We hope that bodes well for tomorrow (09/06), although right now the weather folks are forcasting showers for tomorrow.

Sarah Joyce

canon powershot a250

internal flash only

anywhere from 10- 40 ft.

I was on the track

It rained here too! Just this morning and then it moved on. We are having unseasonal gorgeous wether and I just hope, hope, hope it doesn't decide to get hot again!
Thanks,
t
Old Sep 5, 2009, 11:18 PM   #178

correction canon powershot a520
Old Sep 5, 2009, 11:34 PM   #179

T-

Please be sure to make certain the images are at least 500 X 400 pixel when you upload them. And yes, we would love to see more photos. By analyzing photos, we can learn how to make them better, every one of us.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2009, 12:05 AM   #180

T-

Let's begin with the photo of the two cheer leaders at the top of page 18, we will refer to that photo, simply as "photo#1."

The problem with "Photo #1," is that it was improperly framed; feet and arms were "chopped off" or excluded from the photo. You were, however, within your A-520's flash range, so the exposure was pretty good.

The next photo, the second photo from the top of page 18, we will call "Photo #2." It is dark because not enough light was taken in by your camera. You were probably exceeding the flash range of your camera, in other words, too far away to get a properly exposed photo.

The next photo that we will refer to as "Photo #3," is the large photo, taken out of doors. The rapid action of the cheer leading was blurred because the shutter speed was not high or fast enough to freeze the action. You can increase the shutter speed your camera is going to use by manually and numerically increasing the ISO setting.

The Birthday photo we will call, "Photo #4." This photo was properly exposed and the action stopped because, (1) you were within the flash range of your camera. and (2) your daughter was almost still.

In "Photo #5," taken out of doors, showing a child kicking a ball was well exposed as you had good out door lighting, and the action was slow enough to be handled by the shutter speed your camera selected. However, look closely at the lady in the background. You "chopped" the top of her head off!

In "Photo #6," take at the school program in the gym, the foreground is well exposed, while the background sort of "grays out" due to being under exposed. Try to isolate your subject and keep your subject within your camera's flash range. That way your photos will get and look much better.

Please keep in mind that your photos are not as bad as you might think. With small adjustments, staying within your camera's flash range, and a better camera your photos will indeed get better.

So what you have to think about is this: what kind of budget are you going to allocate for a new camera? If you can plan to use the Sony H-20's built-in flash whenever you do not have good out door lighting, without fail, then because of the much longer flash range of the H-20 (up to 20 feet) you could get by with an investment of just around $240.00.

However, it you want to shoot low light level photos without using any flash, then you are going to have to move to a better, camera with better features, and become competent, confident, and skilled in using that new camera. I hope this critique of your photos has helped and that you are beginning to feel better about what you have to do to improve the photos that you take.

Many thanks for uploading your photos.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Sep 6, 2009 at 12:09 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote