Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:17 AM   #181

09/06/2009

Good Morning, Folks-

We had an active day yesterday in this thread. We often hear the request, "...I want to take better photos..." or "...Family photos, and preserving memories, are my highest priorities..." Taking much better photos with your camera often involves several important steps. Let's examine those steps, one at a time, shall we?

(1) Your Camera: Selecting the correct camera for the kind of photos that you really want to take is very important. Carefully analyze the broad range of photo situations that you want to photograph. It is a wise step, to make an actual written list of the photo situations you plan to photograph. That way you can review, amend, and fine tune, that Photo Situations list, quite easily.

At the outset, your camera has to be able to take very good photos of the most difficult photo situation on that list. If your camera can handle the most difficult photo situation, on your Photo Situations list, then your camera can easily handle any of the other photo situation on your written list. How do I really determine what my most difficult photo situation really is? Just ask, in an active Forum like this one. We have many well qualified photographers who willingly volunteer there time for free, to help other photographers. Take advantage of that free, caring, help.

Consistently taking really good photos is very much like playing the piano. You have to practice! Taking lots of photos, increases your confidence and skill with your camera, and constantly improves your photo taking skills.

(2) Setting up your photos properly:
Get into the habit of setting up your photos properly and in advance, rather than just snapping the photo and accepting the results. When you just snap the photo, you often don't like the resulting photo very much. When you don't like your photos, in general, it time to start planning and setting up your photos properly! In any photo situation, such as important birthday party, or an important holiday like Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas, you have just one opportunity to tak good photos. When the event is passed, you cannot go back and re-take those photos again.

So setting up your photos properly adds some insurance to the photo situation. Get that great photo that you have in mind. OK, what is really involved in setting up your photo correctly? (a) Think about the up coming photo situation a bit. Does the photo situation involve rapid physical action, such as sports, dancing, or children at play, where you will need to "freeze" the action, so as to speak? If that is the case, you will need a faster than normal shutter speed. If the photo is to be taken out of doors, it is as simple as manually setting a numericaly higher ISO speed, which in turn, will increase your camera's shutter speed and "freeze" the action in your photo.

(b) If you are taking the photos indoors, then getting the correct amount of light into your camera to properly record your photos is the essential element in getting good photos. When taking photos indoors, the most common way, we add the necessary amount of light to get a good photo, is by using your camera's built-in flash unit. So, your very first priority, when taking flash photos is to know the flash range of your camera. What is the flash range of your camera? It is simply how far out, measured in feet, your camera can properly light a good photo. If you exceed the flash range of your camera, your photos will come out very dark. Most people don't like dark photos where you can barely make out who really is in that photo. How do I find out the flash range of my camera? Well, you will usually find the flash range of your camera, right in the instructions that you received with your camera. Or you can always ask me and I will be happy to give you an easy, friendly answer.

Please keep in mind that some cameras, especially the small pocket variety of snapshot cameras, have very small built-in flash units that don't put out very much light for your photos. So knowing and understanding the limitations of your particular camera's flash range will really improve your indoor flash photos if you keep your subject with your camera's flash range.

(C) Carefully frame your photo.You want to isolate your subject, somewhat, to eliminate any distracting elements. You can do this by zooming closer from a distance so that you have exactly the photo that you desire. Also, please be aware of other people in your photo. Think of the typical birthday party situation. Your photos will look much nicer if you do not "chop off" the tops of people's heads, or arms and legs. Take a second and be careful when framing your photo. You can eliminate many photo problems, by just framing the photo carefully and properly.

Folks, if topics like this are helpful to you, we can continue further. Please just let me know. Also please don't hesitate to ask any question you desire. Bradley and I are here to help you.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Sep 6, 2009 at 12:00 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2009, 12:22 PM   #182

Hi Sarah,

How's your weather over there today? Any chance to go out to take some landscape shots w/A230?

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2009, 1:06 PM   #183

09/06/2009

Good Morning, Hiro-

I am sorry to report that it is raining heavily right now. It has rained on and off since I got up this morning at 6:00am. However, if it does clear, please be assured that we will head out and grab some landscape shots.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 6, 2009, 1:17 PM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
09/06/2009

Good Morning, Hiro-

I am sorry to report that it is raining heavily right now. It has rained on and off since I got up this morning at 6:00am. However, if it does clear, please be assured that we will head out and grab some landscape shots.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks Sarah!

You have a great day too!

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2009, 1:29 PM   #185

Folks, if topics like this are helpful to you, we can continue further. Please just let me know. Also please don't hesitate to ask any question you desire. Bradley and I are here to help you.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce[/QUOTE]

I am enjoying this immensely...keep it coming !!!
Stan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2009, 1:42 PM   #186

Default Substutite Landscaps on a Very Rainy Day

Hiro-

It is still raining heavily, so here is a landscape that a good friend took recently in Beijing in the Forbidden City at night, just after sun set with his Sony A-900.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 6, 2009, 2:52 PM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiro1963 View Post
BTW, FZ-28's hue looks way off??
- Hiro
Yes, I noticed that too. Unfortunately those images don't have any EXIF data so it's hard to tell what has happened. I'm surprised by the poor quality of the image considering how good the FZ28 is. Something is definitely not right.

Sarah, is it possible for you to post the original FZ28 shot with the EXIF information?

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2009, 3:45 PM   #188
Administrator

That looks like it was a flash photo, and if an external flash was being used, and the white balance wasn't set for it (to flash or daylight to match the temperature of the flash light), then a blue hue like that would be the result (and given the higher ISO speed setting, it would also be picking up ambient light at a different color temperature causing issues with a given mixture - as in the warmer color towards the back of the image).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2009, 3:54 PM   #189

JimC and Tullio-

I am doing laundry right now, but later this afternoon, I will retake the photo and see if we can get a getter result.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 6, 2009, 6:02 PM   #190

Default The Sun is Out! Canon XS Landscapes

Hi there, Folks-

The sunshine just broke through after all that rain. So here are two landscapes for you. The top two and smaller landscapes are from the Sony A-230. The bottom two and larger landscapes are from the canon XS. Enjoy!

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Sep 6, 2009 at 6:47 PM.