Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 7, 2009, 12:33 AM   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Hi there, Folks-

I am getting up a Canon XS DSLR camera, side by side comparison photos, that were taken at ISO 1600, as well. We want to give equal coverage to all of the cameras that we are examining in this thread.

Once again, because the XS is also a DSLR with a physically much larger imager, the comparison shows that like the A-230 image this is alo a pretty clean image with pretty good definition and with less visible electronic noise.

If you are wondering why all of our photos today (09/05) are indoor photos, we had a cold front move in last night bring heavy rain showers today. We will hop that tomorrow (09/06) we will have better weather and that we can get outdoors.

Sarah Joyce

Sarah Joyce
Sarah...could you do the same with the H20?? I know you;ve said it tops out at 800 and maybe your could try Bradley at both 800 and 1600..??

He deserves special mention...and kudos to you, and the other contributors.....this has been a most amazing read...

thanks all...

need a hugging smiley
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:08 AM   #202

Sarah-

I think T needs a camera bag, UV filters, memory card and extra battery too. And maybe a rocket blower, a bottle of lens cleaner and microfiber cloths. I think that's the reason why he asked you about the package deal he found.

Personally, I usually buy those accessories separately though. I had to buy several bags until I found the right one for me. Right now I have one backpack (Lowepro Fastpack 200; $50 from ebay) and one small shoulder bag (Crumpler 4 million: $60 from Adorama). The Crumpler 4 million is perfect for my setup (E410 w/two kit lenses). Two multicoated UV filters for the standard zoo lens and the tele lens (HOYA HMC: $20 and B & W MRC: $30, both from ebay).
I got my memory cards from Newegg.

If T is going to get an external flash also, the Crumpler 5 million bag would be one of the choices.

Oh, and I also think T should stick with the 55-200mm as Jim mentioned.

- Hiro

Last edited by hiro1963; Sep 7, 2009 at 9:53 AM.
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:11 AM   #203

Sarah, I don't know whether you had both cameras set at default exposure, contrast, saturation, etc., but assuming you did, the Sony is definitely rendering the scene better. The Canon is over exposing a bit, which could easily be corrected by reducing exposure by -0.3 or even further. This is the primary reason I don't like to compare cameras based solely on their default settings. IMO, one should try to obtain the best image possible (w/o any PP of course), tweaking the camera as needed to reach that goal. I always keep in mind that not all cameras perform their best at their default settings.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:17 AM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Sarah, I don't know whether you had both cameras set at default exposure, contrast, saturation, etc., but assuming you did, the Sony is definitely rendering the scene better. The Canon is over exposing a bit, which could easily be corrected by reducing exposure by -0.3 or even further. This is the primary reason I don't like to compare cameras based solely on their default settings. IMO, one should try to obtain the best image possible (w/o any PP of course), tweaking the camera as needed to reach that goal. I always keep in mind that not all cameras perform their best at their default settings.
Good point. I tweak my E410 as follows:

• Vivid: Saturation +1, Contrast -1, Sharpness -1
  • Natural: Saturation 0, Contrast -1, Sharpness -1
  • Muted: Saturation 0, Contrast -1, Sharpness -1
W/Noise Filter OFF.

- Hiro

Last edited by hiro1963; Sep 7, 2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:20 AM   #205

Good Morning, Hiro-

Thanks for your post. I, to was attempting to point T towan the Sony 55-200mm lens. instead of the 70-300mm lens. The filters, the bag, rocket blower and the like usually cost more when you get them all packaged into a kit. I prefer to purchase them separately. I use a Sumdex vido case and it has just the right amount of room for me, and by using the front zip pocket, it doubles as my purse as well. But as ypou can see those are personal adaptations.

I get a lot of use out of my external flash (fill-in, bounce, and straight flash for max distance), that is why I recommended the external flash as a logical add on sometime in the future. Thanks for being so thorough in your thinking and planning, Hiro

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:25 AM   #206

Tullio and Hiro-

Yes, to get a good comparison, I have left both the A-230 and the XS at their default settings. It is very logical indeed, after you have made a firm camera decision, to tweak color, saturation, sharpness, and contrast to me your personal requirements, and to get the most from that specific camera. As Tullio, mentioned, not all cameras perform the best at their default settings.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:46 AM   #207

Quote:
Thanks for being so thorough in your thinking and planning, Hiro

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Good morning Sarah-

My pleasure! Since I have been through all those stuff, I thought I should share my thoughts.

You have a great day too.

- Hiro
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:51 AM   #208

Quote:
Yes, to get a good comparison, I have left both the A-230 and the XS at their default settings.
I don't consider this a good/fair comparison. By comparing cameras w/o tweaking their settings, you are simply looking at the most appealing implementation of the camera's default settings, not necessarily the camera's capabilities. To me, the primary difference between a professional review vs. a user's review is that the professional reviews tend to always have the cameras set to their defaults just so they can claim they are comparing apples-to-apples. Users on the other hand, can go a step further and tweak the cameras as they wish in order to compare than at a deeper level.

Tullio
Old Sep 7, 2009, 11:16 AM   #209

Default Tweaking the Sony A-230 DSLR Camera

You make a good point, Tullio-

I will begin making tweaks and providing full info about those tweaks as I move through the process. This is nothing more than a user evaluation.

For example, when I used the A-230 to take this photo I used EV-0.3 and I added one unit of saturation. i will now work on getting the same photo with the Canon XS, and the H-20 super zoom.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Sep 7, 2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 11:25 AM   #210

That'd be great, Sarah. I know it is more time consuming but by tweaking the camera you'll get the most out of it and we'll be able to really see what it's capable of.

Tullio