Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 7, 2009, 2:43 PM   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcn1991 View Post
Hey there!
I think I am getting cold feet - everything you all are discussing is WAY over my head. I don't think I could even get a picture with a dslr. I appreciate everything you all have done - Sarah, the photos are fabulous. I believe that the Sony a230 is the clear winner in this experiment - the photo quality, color and sharpness is amazing.
Thanks!
t
Hey T...don't fret it.....read this stuff...once...with out really trying to understand......come back later and read again, and the responses...(plus other U thread on this board)...I'll bet you'll find that you are digesting this stuff.

I found that I am in a hurry to make a decision and it was affecting my 'open mind'...by sitting back a bit and absorbing I was actually getting past the 'which camera to buy' and moving to 'looking at the differences' which in turn was moving me closer to which camera...

I still am surprised at how the h20 is doing, (I am testing it right now)...and for its size and portability its a darn good tool.

Yet for the more composed, and playing with pics...I like the A230...

So sit back and enjoy the 'journey' that these wonderful folks are taking us on...again Jim, thanks for allowing this thread to continue....

I have learned so much in the past few days
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2009, 4:26 PM   #222

Same here, I started with the h20 about two months ago, and then I thought I was going to get the fz35, then I looked at the prices of slr's dropping like the pentax k2000 and now I'm all over the a230. Mostly becuase I can use it as a P/S until I get more seriuos about the craft.
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2009, 4:36 PM   #223

Thanks guys! You all have been really helpful. I do believe that I understand some operations but not all. Just like you Anthony I do feel that I also want to get a dslr and learn as I go but it can be overwhelming. Sarah, I completely appreciate your answers and I am sure that I will read this several times. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I really appreciate this thread as well.
Thanks,
t
tcn1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2009, 5:38 PM   #224

Hi there, Folks-

We just want everyone to know quite clearly that we will leave home on 09/10 and head out on 17 day teaching contract on Royal Caribbean's Radiance of the Seas.

We will return home on 09/27, when we will check in and see what is happening with this thread. So please don't think that we got angry and suddenly pulled out. That is not the case at all, we just have to go to work.

In fact, we begin teaching for our local Community College, the following day, 09/28.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2009, 5:44 PM   #225

anthony_b-

We sincerely think that you capsulized the most realistic answer perfectly, when you said:

"...now I'm all over the a230. Mostly becuase I can use it as a P/S until I get more seriuos about the craft..."

We all have to begin somewhere and then gradually work our way into the fine details. In the meantime, the Sony A-230 camera is a great camera, that you can progressively grow with as you master the photo craft. We think that is a fine and well thought out decision.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 7, 2009, 5:51 PM   #226

The nicest thing that Bradley and I are seeing -

...is how this group has bonded and come together in very a helpful and supportive way, able to reach out and bolster each other in a very sensitive way. You should be very proud of yourselves.

And special thanks should go out to T, for beginning this very unique thread.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 7, 2009, 6:00 PM   #227

No, a special thanks to you Sarah and everyone else for taking the time to post photos and for all of the valuable information, for supporting me when I was about to crash!! I grately appreciate this thread and what I have learned.
Thank you so much,
t
tcn1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2009, 6:01 PM   #228

Default YES - We need to compare in Auto Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I think the last thing I'd do is try and tweak all of the settings so that the photos look the same between them. What's the point of buying one over the other? ;-)

Also, what one user thinks is a "better" look may not be what another user thinks is a "better" look (i.e., the way you adjust the settings may be different than the way I'd adjust them).

The camera manufacturers spend a lot of time trying to figure out the best settings to default a camera to for the buyers they're trying to target with a given camera model.

The Sony A230 is targeting someone buying their first dSLR, and that type of buyer may be accustomed to images from their point and shoot models (with a bit more contrast, saturation and sharpening by default compared to most higher end dSLR models).

So, I think they've done a pretty good job with the settings used by default with it (not as much "punch" as some of you may want to see, yet just enough to keep most entry level dSLR users happy without going so far as to destroy too much detail or give them an unnatural look).

You also have a variety of scene modes (so that the user can simply switch to a different mode to match what they're shooting like sports mode, landscape mode, etc.) Again, that's designed to make it easy for a user to get better results, without being bothered with a lot of complexity. Not everyone wants to be a camera expert. ;-)

The screens also give you lots of tips on what a mode is supposed to do. For example, click on the link you'll see on this page under Easy Shooting Mode selection to see some of those screens:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665879068

So, if anything, I'd compare the preset modes versus tweaking individual settings for the type of buyer this camera is being targeted at.
Jim,

I appreciate this comment as well as the latest from Joyce. Since this started as a thread about point and shoot, even if we begin to compare DSLR's it is important to see what the camera's will do in their automatic modes since this will be the fall back for most new novice DSLR users.

Joyce had a discussion of this earlier in the thread also talking about the capabilities of various cameras in the automatic mode. So testing these cameras in their default and automatic modes is essential for T and myself.

Rita
ritap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2009, 6:26 PM   #229

And that, Rita-

...is why we re-directed this whole discussion this morning (09/07), back to how these cameras operate in the automatic mode, after complying with the tweaking request early this morning.

Bradley and I think that it is fair to say that each person is seeking their own camera solution. There will always be room for the point and shoot super zoom camera users, DSLR camera users who prefer to shoot their DSLR cameras as a point and shoot camera, and the DSLR camera users who have reached a point where they can use all of the bells and whistles that they have on their DSLR cameras.

That is the beauty of this thread, there is room for everyone, and a good percentage of really good learning material about photo planing and shooting techniques on this thread too. We are always open to new requests to add material as well, just as we are willing to answer and all of your questions.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:10 PM   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
anthony_b-

We sincerely think that you capsulized the most realistic answer perfectly, when you said:

"...now I'm all over the a230. Mostly becuase I can use it as a P/S until I get more seriuos about the craft..."

We all have to begin somewhere and then gradually work our way into the fine details. In the meantime, the Sony A-230 camera is a great camera, that you can progressively grow with as you master the photo craft. We think that is a fine and well thought out decision.

Sarah Joyce
That's where I am heading too...it makes the most sense. Good pictures and room to grow.
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote