Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:21 PM   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
And that, Rita-

...is why we re-directed this whole discussion this morning (09/07), back to how these cameras operate in the automatic mode, after complying with the tweaking request early this morning.

Bradley and I think that it is fair to say that each person is seeking their own camera solution. There will always be room for the point and shoot super zoom camera users, DSLR camera users who prefer to shoot their DSLR cameras as a point and shoot camera, and the DSLR camera users who have reached a point where they can use all of the bells and whistles that they have on their DSLR cameras.

That is the beauty of this thread, there is room for everyone, and a good percentage of really good learning material about photo planing and shooting techniques on this thread too. We are always open to new requests to add material as well, just as we are willing to answer and all of your questions.

Sarah Joyce
I agree Joyce, and that is why I wanted to thank you and Jim for continuing to provide such great information for all of us in your audience. Enjoy your trip. We will miss you here!
ritap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:47 PM   #232

I am still struggling with whether or not my budget could take the hit of the DSLR and whether I would regret the size and weight of the camera enough that I might avoid taking it along.

If it were not for these 2 issues I think I would be ready to put cash on the line for the Sony A230.

It seems that many of you "more professional types" out there have a point and shoot and a DSLR? There was a great conversation earlier about different cameras for different types of situations. I am almost wondering if the right thing for me would be a mid range point and shoot like the Sony H20 until I can afford to take the next step to the Sony a230? I had been very tempted by the Panasonic FZ28or 35 but that is another $150 higher so would I be better off with the H20 for now and start saving for the Sony a230? Or am I being silly and I should just start saving now for Sony a230?
ritap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:50 PM   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritap View Post
so would I be better off with the H20 for now and start saving for the Sony a230? Or am I being silly and I should just start saving now for Sony a230?
I am sorta like you...I kindalike the H20 (on trial) because of its size and price. But not all the types of shots I'd like to take are within the scope of the H-20 (at least not with my abilities..)
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:10 PM   #234

Rita and littlejohn-

If you don't presently have a camera, the Sony H-20 is an excellent choice to get you to a point when an entry level DSLR like the A-230 is possible and within your budget. The H-20 is excellent because it is so good in the fully automatic mode and because it has such great flash range.

The next step would to the Sony A-230, which you would use as a point and shoot camera as you developed your photo experience level. As you built your photo experience, you would begin to use more and more of the A-230's many features. It would be a slow, gradual, photo experience building learning curve. It seems to make sense to us.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:20 PM   #235

Default H 20 shots.

I'll be the first to say...I am not the best taker of pictures...but I have taken 1000's related for work...that's easy..LOL.

I've attached a couple of rodeo pics using the H-20, shot at night. The shots show the zoom....

unzoomed...

Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:23 PM   #236

in this one I am not sure why the spotted pig is blurry...I know he is moving but why couldn't I freeze the bugger??

Old Sep 8, 2009, 8:23 AM   #237

Good Morning, littlejohn-

Many thanks for some lovely Sony H-20 photos. Those photos say a lot about the H-20's photo quality in the automatic mode. Congratulations!

As to your nursing spotted pig photo: Please remember that as the light level conditions fall dramatically, it is wise to switch over to the "P" for Programed Auto on your Mode Selector and manually and numerically increasing the ISO setting to at least ISO 400, and to ISO 800 if you are not using flash, and you really have low level lighting conditions. That will give you a faster shutter speed, so the spotted pig will not blur.

The spotted pig blurred because, (a) the spotted pig was in motion, and (b) your shutter speed was not high enough to "freeze" his motion. Remember that manually and numerically increasing the ISO setting will always increase your shutter speed.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 8, 2009, 8:46 AM   #238

Default Panasonic FZ-28 at ISO 1600

Well, Folks-

This morning we have a real treat for you! We have some photos from the posters to this thread.

First, we have a Panasonic FZ-28 photo from Tullio taken at an ISO setting of 1600, that is very impressive indeed. Yes, there is some electronic noise in the photo, but not enough to overcome or wipe out the photo. Check it out!

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 8, 2009, 8:50 AM   #239

Default A 100% Crop of Tullio's FZ-28, ISO 1600 Photo

Next, Folks -

We have a 100% crop of Tullio's FZ-28 photo posted above that shows the FZ-28 captured a lot of fine detail and while there is indeed some electronic noise present in the 100% crop, it is not overpowering. Many thanks to Tullio for letting us use these photos.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 8, 2009, 8:55 AM   #240

Default The Sony H-20 Camera at ISO 1600

Next, Folks-

We have an ISO 1600 photo taken by our reader, littlejohn with his Sony H-20 camera. It was taken at his computer desk. In fact you can see the very thread that you are now reading up there on his computer screen, as well as his cup of tea.

So for those of you who have been wondering about how the H-20 does at a high ISO setting of ISO 1600, here it is! Thanks for the photo, littlejohn, it is very well done.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images