Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 8, 2009, 9:05 AM   #241

Default A 100% Crop of Littlejohn's H-20 Photo at ISO 1600

Next, Folks-

We have a 100% crop of littlejohn's ISO 1600 photo taken with his Sony H-20.

The 100% crop show good detail and while there is some electronic noise in the photo, like Tullio's FZ-28 photo, it is not over powering.

Congratualtions, to littlejohn, you are really moving along quickly in learning that Sony H-20 camera.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2009, 9:20 AM   #242

Default Canon XT DSLR Sunset

Well, Folks-

I ought to make a contribution myself.

Here is a sunset photo taken right in our little cove along the Pacific Coast with an old Canon XT DSLR camera. I hope that you enjoy it.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:45 AM   #243

thanks for your kind words Sarah...the pig was shot at 400 ISO and the rodeo ones were 800..

I post them here so that others could see what the h-20 was like in the hands of a beginner.

I am still looking long and hard at the A230 instead of the h-20 (or will I have both???)

I would include the Sony's SAL-DT55200 f4-5.6 55-200mm lens as well.BUT question ...in the london drugs flyer it say f/3.5 - 6.3 DT lens and the sony site says f4-5.6..are there 2 lens available??

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser...atalogId=10001

and the camera store says...http://www.thecamerastore.com/produc...-f35-56-dt-sam

but I see that on the photo of the lens its f4...???

(I see the price of the lens dropped $80...)

And I loved your sunset shot......really loved it...!

Last edited by littlejohn; Sep 8, 2009 at 11:02 AM. Reason: added really loved it ...(on second viewing)...tried a different link..
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:55 AM   #244
Administrator

That link is bad.

The 18-250mm is down to f/6.3 on it's long end. But, not the 55-200mm lenses (they're f/4-5.6).

Sony does have two different versions of a 55-200mm f/4-5.6 DT lens. The newer one has a built in motor (SAM version), and the older version makes use of a Camera body's built in focus motor. Either one would work on the A230.

Here is a page on the Sony Canada site. The older version without a built in motor is towards the bottom of the page (the one on sale).

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser...egoryId=100355

They both appear to be variations of the Tamron 55-200mm.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2009, 11:06 AM   #245

Ahhh...thanks Jim (tried the link again with no results

as for the lens is the SAM better? (intuitively I think so..)
Old Sep 8, 2009, 11:11 AM   #246
Administrator

I doubt it (although I haven't seen any tests directly comparing the two versions).

I suspect that the only reason they're moving to SAM versions is because it's cheaper for the OEM manufacturer to produce only one lens design (all with built in focus motors), versus needing to have versions of a lens with and without one.

Since some of the current Nikon dSLR models do not have focus motors built into their bodies any longer, manufacturers like Tamron are now starting to make more lenses with built in motors by default (versus separate versions with and without a focus motor). Since current Sony and Pentax dSLR models can use lenses with or without a built in motor, it's easier to have only one lens design including a built in motor. All Canon models require lenses with a built in motor anyway, as do entry level Nikon models like the D40, D40x, D60, D3000 and D5000. So, why design lenses with and without a built in motor any longer. ;-) Again, this lens appears to be a variation of the Tamron 55-200mm.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 11:25 AM   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
So, why design lenses with and without a built in motor any longer. ;-) Again, this lens appears to be a variation of the Tamron 55-200mm.

It makes sense..GM is finally getting THAT message too.

I would have assume that a built in motor would supplement and save strain on camera motor...but does it have its own power? It probably is heavier.

as for the Tamron lens comment..what are you suggesting..???
Old Sep 8, 2009, 11:29 AM   #248
Administrator

I'm just offering a reason why Sony may have decided to go with a version of the 55-200mm with a built in motor (since the camera can use lenses with or without a motor). That's speculation. But, I doubt you'd see any difference in quality between the two versions (although I haven't seen any tests comparing them yet). As for battery life, I doubt there's much difference in that area either. It's only going to use one motor (either the one in the lens, or the one in the camera body) for any given lens. IOW, I wouldn't spend more money to get the newer SAM version if I were buying one and the older version was less expensive.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 11:34 AM   #249

I searched the Tamron canada site and they don't list a 55-200 for Sony mounts...(thought they might be cheaper

Thanks for your comments, it seems that the non SAM is the better choice simply because of price

($195 Sony sale price just this morning where London drugs is $230 sale priced) It does confirm what you said about Sony moving to the SAM..and eliminating old stock...

Thanks again...the journey has been fun so far..

Last edited by littlejohn; Sep 8, 2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 11:40 AM   #250

Default The Sony 55-200mm Lens

littlejohn-

I have attached a photo of what is now being called the "Sony 55-200mm lens Version 2."

I believe that is what JimC was referring to in his post. The Sony 55-200mm lens is also available at E-Bay for $(US)139.00 with free shipping with a seller who is very highly rated, and who ships to Canada as well.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images