Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 8, 2009, 12:50 PM   #251

this might interest some...http://www.digitalhome.ca/content/view/4021/284/
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2009, 12:57 PM   #252

Thanks for posting that link, littlejohn-

Its a good read. However, I could not help but conclude that the Sony A-230 DSLR camera is a real bargain, when you consider the price of the new Sony A-500/A-550, and A-850 cameras.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2009, 1:01 PM   #253

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
littlejohn-

I have attached a photo of what is now being called the "Sony 55-200mm lens Version 2."

I believe that is what JimC was referring to in his post. The Sony 55-200mm lens is also available at E-Bay for $(US)139.00 with free shipping with a seller who is very highly rated, and who ships to Canada as well.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks ...I viewed this review as well...http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...ct/1271/cat/83

as for the ebay price...that's good!! $149 Canadian about $154 with fees...I gotta check shipping tho
Old Sep 8, 2009, 1:04 PM   #254

Quote:
Thanks for posting that link, littlejohn-

Its a good read. However, I could not help but conclude that the Sony A-230 DSLR camera is a real bargain, when you consider the price of the new Sony A-500/A-550, and A-850 cameras.

Sarah Joyce
Burst my bubble will ya...I had my heart set on the 850...

The A850 will sell in Canada for $2,600 ($2,000 in the United States) beginning in September.

The 230 is notably cheaper tho,,,
Old Sep 8, 2009, 1:44 PM   #255

littlejohn-

I too dream of owning a full frame Sony A-850. It looks to be a real WOW camera. However, right now the budget just does not allow it.

Oh well, I will keep dreaming!

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 8, 2009, 5:07 PM   #256

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritap View Post
I am still struggling with whether or not my budget could take the hit of the DSLR and whether I would regret the size and weight of the camera enough that I might avoid taking it along.
You can take a different route and check the new breed of DSLRs from Panasonic and Olympus. They use a micro 4/3 sensor and no mirror. The beauty of these cameras is their extremely small sizes (body and lenses) combined with excellent image quality. The lens selection for m4/3 is somewhat limited at this point but I have no doubt it will grow over time. Panasonic has the G1 (1st m4/3 camera available and very popular for all the features it has to offer and its affordability), the GH1 (adds video recording and apparently it has a slightly larger sensor) and the just-released GF1, which is very very small for DSLR standards. Olympus is a bit behind and only offers the EP-1, which has a very small body as well (but no viewfinder nor internal flash, two major negatives IMO). However, users seem to be very pleased with its IQ. Just a thought!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2009, 5:37 PM   #257
Administrator

Quote:
littlejohn- I too dream of owning a full frame Sony A-850. It looks to be a real WOW camera. However, right now the budget just does not allow it...
Why not sell some cameras, lenses and flashes (you seem to have too many of them, and it's hard to use a lot of different cameras at the same time). Perhaps you could help to offset the costs by offering some nice prints from scenes you run into during your cruises, too.

You can get a 24MP Sony A850 for $1999 now.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665970159
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2009, 11:02 PM   #258

That's a great idea, JimC-

But somehow, the age old budget equation gets in the way of that decision to somehow purchase the Sony A-850 camera. I love cameras, and after this contract, that lies just ahead, my resolve is to start selling my cameras, big time.

No, Bradley and I are not leaving the Forum. 'Not to worry. It is just time to clean up our spare bedroom that is covered with many digital cams. That is how, I can provide a photo sample from just about any camera you can think of on any day. that means I have too many digital cameras.

Well folks, that has to change. And it reality, it will change in October and November of 2009. You have been warned, so please fasten you seat belt! Why do I say that? Well, here is one of my most well disguised, or deeply hidden secrets. For 32 years I flew for one of USA's major airlines, TWA to be precise. I retired in 1991 as a Boeing 747/Lockheed L-1011 Check Captain.

And now,Bradley and I are nationally known Digital Camera Instructors. It really is no big deal, Bradley and I teach both for our local Community College, and our State University. Bradley, who is a retired Clinical Psychologist, also achieved national recognition during his career. He is is not only my husband, but also my full time partner in our teaching efforts.

Did you notice my new avatar? Yep, it reflects that I now get up at least 90 minutes to 2 hours earlier than normal, so that every post in this thread gets full attention, and a well thought out answer.

Well, that is enough about me and Bradley. Just know that we are always here, at least through 09/10 when we head out to teach once again on cruise ships. We will return to moniter this thread once again on 09/27. On 09/28 we begin our digital camera workshops for our local Community College.

So, both Bradley and I apologize for boring you with the nitty-gritty details. We really wanted to be very careful to let you know that we will be gone from 09/10 until 09/27/09.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Sep 8, 2009 at 11:07 PM.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 11:38 PM   #259

Hi Sarah-

I like your new avatar.

Well, you and Bradley have a safe trip! Look forward to hearing from you again soon!

Have a great time!

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2009, 12:05 AM   #260

Many thanks, Hiro-

Somehow you are always there with the right/really correct, rather special words, when I am a bit down. I really appreciate that. It has been a very busy day, as we move into the very last phases of pulling everything together and packing up. The limo is arranged in Portland, OR, the air is in place, and hopefully we will once again find friends, that we met during our April 2009 contract on the same ship

Sarah Joyce