Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 9, 2009, 12:11 AM   #261

Thanks a lot, Hiro-

As most people know Bradley is severely handicapped. So any trip is a huge "troop movement." There are many details to attend to, just to make the trip work out well, as we move through each element of our 17 day excursion. I will keep posting until we leave on Thursday morning, 09/10 at around 7:00am.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2009, 1:25 AM   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
You can take a different route and check the new breed of DSLRs from Panasonic and Olympus. They use a micro 4/3 sensor and no mirror. The beauty of these cameras is their extremely small sizes (body and lenses) combined with excellent image quality. The lens selection for m4/3 is somewhat limited at this point but I have no doubt it will grow over time. Panasonic has the G1 (1st m4/3 camera available and very popular for all the features it has to offer and its affordability), the GH1 (adds video recording and apparently it has a slightly larger sensor) and the just-released GF1, which is very very small for DSLR standards. Olympus is a bit behind and only offers the EP-1, which has a very small body as well (but no viewfinder nor internal flash, two major negatives IMO). However, users seem to be very pleased with its IQ. Just a thought!
I checked out the G1 online and found it is pretty expensive, probably more so than the Sony A230. Seems it would run around $999 with a 2 lens outfit. I don't think I can do that.

Rita
ritap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2009, 3:08 AM   #263

Rita-

Please understand that it was NOT I who suggested the Panasonic G-1, it was indeed, Tullio, another poster to this thread. The Sony A-230 camera is just about 1/2 of the cost of the Panasonic G-1.

I have been very careful in making any recommendations. Budgets are budgets, I surely am very careful with spending money. Bradley and I have raised 8 children. We understand the cost of living,as well as the cost of a family expenses.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Sep 9, 2009 at 3:11 AM.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 9:59 AM   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Thanks a lot, Hiro-

As most people know Bradley is severely handicapped. So any trip is a huge "troop movement." There are many details to attend to, just to make the trip work out well, as we move through each element of our 17 day excursion. I will keep posting until we leave on Thursday morning, 09/10 at around 7:00am.

Sarah Joyce
Good morning Sarah-

Teaching photography while maintaining a home and taking care of Bradley is marvelous and admirable. Bradley must be very proud of you.

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2009, 12:10 PM   #265

Thanks, Hiro!

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 9, 2009, 4:41 PM   #266

I echo Hiro's comments!

And I can see how committed you are, based on your participation here.

I spent the better part of an hour re-reading this thread...I got 1/2 way tho...LOL. It is amazing at just how much info is here, and re-reading it has been an immense help AND I might add, it encourages one to pursue this venture more.

You old timers will probably echo that regardless of camera costs, it is much cheaper to get into the hobby now then say 20 years ago. Simply because of the digital cameras. The cost of taking poor pictures has gone wwwaaayyyy down LOL.
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2009, 4:50 PM   #267

Question for all....

I went into my local Future Shop, to purchase the A230 (14 day trial) and the sales man asked me what I wanted to spend? I said I wanted the best for the least LOL.

He pointed me to what he thought was good value.

A Canon XSi rebel for $730 (can) it includes 4 gb card as well.

the A230 is $570 and the A330 is $650

The diff I see is 10 mp vs 12.2 mp, live view and perhaps a few other things. I have read a few reviews but haven't seriously studied it.

I also 'think' that IS lens is more of a 'con' then the sonys with IS in the camera...

The question I ask, is relatively speaking is the canon of better value then the sony? (assuming its all within budget)

FWIW I am leaning to keeping the H20 for portability, and having the A230 for creativity.....(shakes head...)
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2009, 5:19 PM   #268

Hi there, lttlejohn-

Here in the USA, one of my fun projects is to follow camera prices. And, right now, the Sony A-230 with the Sony 18-55mm kit lens is priced at $(US) 403.00 is a best buy. You can also purchase the Sony A-230 with the Sony 18-55mm kit lens and the Sony 55-200mm lens for just $(US) 579.00, another best buy. The Canon XS simply costs more, at least here in the USA.

Now let's add in one more point. We have watched the photo performance of both the Canon XS and Sony A-230 DSLR cameras in this thread. To my eyes, the A-230 has consistently out performed the Canon XS.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 9, 2009, 7:19 PM   #269

Hi lttlejohn-

I would go for the A230. I think Anthony got the A230 also, but we haven't heard from him for a while.... I wonder how he has been doing with his new A230.

Also, I would go with two 2GB memory cards instead of one 4GB just in case.

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2009, 7:33 PM   #270

Thanks, Hiro, its good to hear from you-

I believe your advice to littlejohn is excellent and well thought out. I must also make a small confession:I purchased a Sony A-700 last night on E-Bay. It will be delivered after we get back from this upcoming contract.

That is a revolutionary change for a person who had never given Sony DSLR cameras a second thought, before I went to work on this thread. However, after I began working with the A-230, I was sold.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce