Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 31, 2009, 1:35 PM   #21

I honestly appreciate the information provided. I guess I really just want to take pics of my girls and their lives so that 30 years from now they can enjoy looking at memories the way I do with the pictures when I was little. We do have classes in our area but I don't want to try to figure out a camera while I am watching something or trying to catch a candid moment. I understand a dslr is best but I don't think that is an option for me right now. I have read every superzoom camera review out there. The one that seems to have the best reviews is the canon sx1 but it also says that if aren't as interested in the video get the canon sx10.
I have ready reviews on the sony hx1, the nikon p90, kodak zsomething, the pani z?28. I am more confused than ever and my head hurts. Who knew it would be this difficult!
tcn1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 2:03 PM   #22

Default You Might Want to Investigate the Sony H-20 Camera

TCN-

Please don't feel alone. We are seeing more and more folks, on the Forum, who just want to snap the photo and to not be concerned about the mechanics of actually setting the camera and taking into account things like aperture, shutter speed, ISO settings, and WB (White Balance). I also see some of those same people in my classes who want to learn more.

This is just my opinion, but TCN, I think you really out to look at the 10X optical zoom camera, the Sony H-20. It is selling for about $(US)240.00 and it has been rated as the most user friendly camera now available. It has excellent flash range, it even takes HD video clips. The H-20 has a very simple to use menu structure, and most folks are amazed what a simple, easy to use camera it really is.

I keep two Sony H-2 cameras and two H-20 cameras set aside for students to use when they do not already own a camera, or are in the process of selecting a camera. Without fail, the students who use the Sony H-20 cameras are thrilled with their photo results, and how simple it is to get really good photos. Next semester we are going to retire the older Sony H-2 cameras and move to using all Sony H-20 cameras, because they are that good.

It is just a suggestion and I hope it might help you. I have attached a photo of myself taken by one of my students with a H-20 camera.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 2:08 PM   #23

Thank you!
Old Aug 31, 2009, 2:46 PM   #24

Default A DSLR Camera that Works Very Well in Full Automatic

TCN-

I have also found a DSLR camera that produces excellent photos in the full automatic mode. It is the Canon XS DSLR camera. Here is a sample photo taken in the full automatic mode.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 31, 2009, 3:27 PM   #25

Just ordered the Panasonic FZ 35 from B&H photo....should have it by Wed/Thurs.
Stan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 3:49 PM   #26

Stan - I look forward to hearing about your new purchase.
Sarah - both photos look good. I really was set on canon xs until I discovered all of the extras that I had to buy to take the pics that I wanted. I am torn between the dslr and a high zoom point and shoot. I am very easily a person who gets in some place and decides that I have to have the best and all of the accessories to go with it. I am trying very hard not to do that this time. With 3 young girls, I want to save their memories but we still have to eat -lol just kidding.
Thanks,
t
Old Aug 31, 2009, 4:36 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcn1991 View Post
Sarah - both photos look good.
t
Why wouldn't they??? Look at the subject...
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 5:08 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
Why wouldn't they???
Actually, it would have to be a pretty bad camera that couldn't take an excellent posed portrait in good lighting... I've taken beautiful shots that way with a pinhole camera.
Zcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 5:35 PM   #29

T-

Having raised 8 children with my husband, we know first hand about balancing the budget.

The Canon XS with the 18-55mm IS kit lens at www. amazon.com was $500.00. I have found that I like a one lens approach, so I got a Tamron 18-200mm lens for $200.00 and later I will get the external flash which costs $129.00 later. That is all that I need.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 31, 2009, 5:48 PM   #30

Sarah,
Thank you for all of your help. So do you think that after every crazy thing I've written that the Canon XS would be the best camera for me at this point? I am assuming the lens 18-200 mm means that it is best for pics 18 - 200mm away. Will the canon xs be something I could use for quite a while?