Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 17, 2009, 6:53 PM   #341

Even Fully Automatic Cameras, Require a quick check list:

Please don’t fall into the trap that because you are using your camera in a FULLY AUTOMATIC Mode, all you have to do is to switch the camera on and snap your photos.

You still have two items to check:

The position of your camera’s Mode selector
Battery Status

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2009, 6:54 PM   #342

Condensation: Your Camera’s WORST enemy!

If you leave a heavily air conditioned room or area and head outdoors into humid, hot conditions CONDENSATION, or foggy looking tiny droplets of water will form on your camera’s lens, and even in severe situation on the internal parts of your camera.

How do you know you have condensation? Well for folks who wear glasses, like me, the lenses of your glasses will also fog up, as well. Here is a simple condensation check. All you have to do is to glance at your camera’s lens. If the lens has fogged up, you have condensation. Do I wipe the fog off my camera’s lens? No, any extra wiping of your camera’s delicate lens, should be avoided.

The best practice is to WAIT. In 5 to 10 minutes, your camera will rise in temperature to that of the outside air and the condensation will gradually evaporate and disappear. Then your camera will work normally.

Bradley and I typically seen condensation problems in the Southern United States during sumer time, in new England or the Mid West during winter time, and of course, in tropical areas like Hawaii, or Asia, or the Panama Canal. Anytime there is a large temperature change when you move from one environment to to a much warmer or colder environment, there is the chance of condensation. We want you to be aware of how it affects your camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 17, 2009, 7:07 PM   #343

Hi Sarah-

Thanks for your excellent tips! I still forget to check one thing or two sometime before shooting.

Now, I'm working on how different metering mode affects the exposure. A few days ago, while I was taking pics of my sunflower, I needed to try a couple of different metering modes to get the proper exposure.

Hope you are doing great.

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2009, 7:12 PM   #344

Default Hello, Hiro!

Hi there, Hiro-

I love teaching, and we have been very busy, but we are also having a lot of fun. We're looking forward to getting home on 09/27. Here is a photo of the ship taken yesterday when we were in Icy Point Strait, AK

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 18, 2009, 12:45 AM   #345

Default Red Dog...

Red Dog eh???

My Drinking buds...

the piano player

being told to leave...

littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2009, 12:57 AM   #346

Default bridge near the summit -chilkoot pass

Old Sep 18, 2009, 6:47 AM   #347

Default Need an advice...

Hi Sarah,
I have been reading alll your reviews about different cameras. I would say, this is the most inforamtive forum. I am getting to learn many things about a camera an photography. But honestly speaking this has increased my confusion in choosing a camear for me.
I was about to buy one Ultra zoom camera like Sony HX1. But after reading this forum and checking different prices, i understood that FZ28 is a good choice in this range. After few more readings, i felt that, ishould rather increase my budget by another $100 and buy an SLR - 1000d or Sony A330. But for buying it, i would really have to stretch my pocket.
Then i read your review about H20, which is well within my buget. I understand that it works well in low light and indoor situations due to its flash range. But it doesnt come with an ultra zoom. So i felt that, i should go for FZ28 or FZ35. But i am not sure that whether it will work well in low lights as well.
To be very honest with you, i can stretch my pocket for an SLR too. But, i am an amatuer photographer and not sure how well i will be able to make use of it.

I need your advice before i make any decision.

Kunal
Kunal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2009, 9:28 AM   #348

littlejohn-

Nice shots! The place is packed with people. Must be a popular bar. I see someone is using his Nikon.

And a great shot of a bridge. Did you use the A230?

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2009, 10:39 AM   #349
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiro1963 View Post
littlejohn-
[snip]
...Did you use the A230?
The EXIF shows that a Fuji FinePix S20 Pro was used to take those photos.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2009, 10:41 AM   #350

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiro1963 View Post
littlejohn-

Nice shots! The place is packed with people. Must be a popular bar. I see someone is using his Nikon.

And a great shot of a bridge. Did you use the A230?

- Hiro
The Red Dog..is in Alaska. I took a cruise there a couple of years ago. I posted them here in response to Sarah's pix LOL (just to let her know...I've been there too )

Th camera used was a Fujifine pix S20 here's a clip from a revew

The Fujfilm FinePix S20 Pro has a 3.1 megapixel CCD that delivers more than 6.03 million recorded pixels.

http://www.photographyblog.com/revie..._s20_pro_2.php

Its older..but for the number of pixels..it has good pictures..