Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 7, 2009, 12:10 PM   #401

Thanks Jim...would that be under 'creative style' in the Fn button?
And would you have to set that for each mode ie: landscape, portrait etc??

And lastly why does lowering the contrast improve the 'punch'?
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 12:12 PM   #402
Administrator

If you look at the EXIF information in some of the images posted by Tulio from his A200, he tends to use those settings a lot. I was just browsing through a thread on another forum elsewhere this morning showing how well these settings work on newer Sony models (A230, A330), too. That gives a sharper image "straight from the camera". If you want to edit images later, I'd stick with the defaults.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 12:14 PM   #403
Administrator

I was posting at the same time you were (didn't see your post until after I finished).

Lower contrast would not help give you a punchier image. But, it helps to retain more Dynamic Range. When you increase Contrast, you make the darker areas darker and the lighter areas lighter (leading to loss of detail in both shadows and highlights). So, lowering it from defaults can help (especially if you're increasing other parameters like Saturation and Sharpness).

The Scene modes increase some of those parameters for you.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 12:15 PM   #404

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
If you look at the EXIF information in some of the images posted by Tulio from his A200, he tends to use those settings a lot. I was just browsing through a thread on another forum elsewhere this morning showing how well these settings work on newer Sony models (A230, A330), too. That gives a sharper image "straight from the camera". If you want to edit images later, I'd stick with the defaults.

I did change the settings as per Tullio in the 'landscape' mode and I was happier with the results. But I haven't played with the other settings... BTW what program do you use to get the EXIF info?

I use firefox 'add-in' but it doesn't always read the info???
Old Oct 7, 2009, 12:17 PM   #405

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I was posting at the same time you were (didn't see your post until after I finished).

Lower contrast would not help give you a punchier image. But, it helps to retain more Dynamic Range. When you increase Contrast, you make the darker areas darker and the lighter areas lighter (leading to loss of detail in both shadows and highlights). So, lowering it from defaults can help (especially if you're increasing other parameters like Saturation and Sharpness).

The Scene modes increase some of those parameters for you.
Ahhh THAT makes sense! Thanks. I am aware that the 'scene' modes do that...but how can one view what those settings are?? You can't change them nor view them in the 230...
Old Oct 7, 2009, 12:33 PM   #406

littlejohn-

That brings us full circle to something that I mentioned very early on in this thread. For maximum image quality, DSLR cameras in general, come with the expectation that the user is going to be doing some post processing.

I prefer not to increase the contrast setting, as the result seems to be clipped highlights. so, the -1 on contrast dampens clipped highlights. Tullio's setting are very effective in certain photo situations. I increase the sharpness by one unit (+1) and leave everything else at their default settings.

Then, I make the needed adjustments in photo editing. It is probably all a matter of personal preference. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Oct 7, 2009 at 12:36 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 12:38 PM   #407

Thanks Sarah...I can see that now...Not having played must with PP...I am limited in my knowledge. What would you recommend as a program? One that isn't too expensive is preferred, I have used the software that came with the 230..its pretty limited ...I can't seem to convert to B&W with it???

BTW did you get my PM??
Old Oct 7, 2009, 1:07 PM   #408
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
Ahhh THAT makes sense! Thanks. I am aware that the 'scene' modes do that...but how can one view what those settings are?? You can't change them nor view them in the 230...
Press the Fn button to select a Creative Style. For each Creative Style, you can see and change it's settings for Saturation, Contrast and Sharpness.

See the Image Processing Section of this A230 manual starting on page 86 for a description of Dynamic Range Optimization choices, Create Style choices and Settings for Sharpness, Contrast and Saturation.

www.sony.jp/dslr/manual_english/A230_manual.pdf
Old Oct 7, 2009, 1:29 PM   #409

littlejohn-

if you are on a PC, as opposed to a Mac, you have a greater selection to choose from. My suggestion is to download Picasa from www.google.com, it is free, and it is a good place to begin your experimentation with post processing.

If you want to go beyond that either Paint Shop Pro from Corel or ACDSee would be good choices. they are both around $(US)40.00.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 7, 2009, 2:44 PM   #410

littlejohn-

The brand new A-200 just arrived, thanks to the UPS delivery woman. This photo was taken with the new A-200 in the default settings.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images