Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:00 PM   #421

Hi there, littlejohn-

No, the Sony A-230 did NOT enjoy the Creative Settings advantage. Quite honestly, with me using multiple DSLR cameras as I post, including theNikon D-40, the Nikon D-40X, the Nikon D-50, Pentax DS, Pentax D-100D, the Pentax K-10, the Pentax K-20, the Olympus E-300, E-420, E-420, E-510, E-520, and E-620, the Canon XS the Canon D-20, the Canon XT, the Sony A-200 and the Sony A-230 cameras it sometime does indeed get very confusing.

Littlejohn. I honestly attemp to balance out and to finance all those DSLR cameras so that I can give accurate and honest advice on this forum, but sometimes I get screwed up.

So yes, the color was somewhat different because the Sony A-230 had not yet been adusted to the very same Creative Settings that were already set on the A-200, which I adjusted this morning (10/07).

I will hope that you will indeed understand that not only am I posting in this thread, but I am posting in multiple threads and websites every day. So I will indeed do my very best to keep you advised of any changes. The option, as I see it, is to stop posting. I have continued to post to this thread, even when it cost me 75 cents per minute on cruise ships. so i hope that you will indeed understand that I have not, in any wsy been a laggard.

But back to the issue at hand. I would honestly caution you, littlejohn, to be be very wary of the Nikon D-5000 camera. it is surely not its bigger brother, the Nikon D-90. That was the serious mistake that I made. And because I had purchased the D-5000 from www.amazon.com, I was able to return the camera for a full refund. That may not be the situation you find yourself in right now. So, please be very careful.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:36 PM   #422

I've tried every single mode available on the A200 and Landscape consistently produced better quality images than any other setting. Portrait was the worse, producing very soft images (although it tends to give a bit better DR). As Jim suggested, each mode allows you to adjust the settings for s/s/c and they will be applied to P/A/S/M. Keep DRO OFF. It will hurt more than help. It can drastically reduce DR by trying to compensate for the shadows (not to mention that DRO advance will cause a delay during recording of the image to the memory card).

As far as free software goes, I like Photoscape a lot and just about every picture I take I run through it.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 12:20 AM   #423

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
littlejohn-

Now here is another photo of Bradley taken with contrast-1, sharpness +2, and saturation +2. You can easily see the difference that those Creative Setting changes made.

Sarah Joyce

uhhh, I don't really see a difference???
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 12:49 AM   #424

Sarah, the two photos of the squash are quite different in terms of color saturation, sharpness and details, with the A200 image being far superior IMO. Can you post those two images including the full EXIF data? I use an EXIF program that shows each setting. I'm curious to see how the two cameras were setup.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 2:09 AM   #425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Sarah, the two photos of the squash are quite different in terms of color saturation, sharpness and details, with the A200 image being far superior IMO. Can you post those two images including the full EXIF data? I use an EXIF program that shows each setting. I'm curious to see how the two cameras were setup.

That was my view as well ........I think the A230 is much closer image wise???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Hi there, littlejohn-

No, the Sony A-230 did NOT enjoy the Creative Settings advantage. Quite honestly, with me using multiple DSLR cameras as I post, including theNikon D-40, the Nikon D-40X, the Nikon D-50, Pentax DS, Pentax D-100D, the Pentax K-10, the Pentax K-20, the Olympus E-300, E-420, E-420, E-510, E-520, and E-620, the Canon XS the Canon D-20, the Canon XT, the Sony A-200 and the Sony A-230 cameras it sometime does indeed get very confusing.

Littlejohn. I honestly attemp to balance out and to finance all those DSLR cameras so that I can give accurate and honest advice on this forum, but sometimes I get screwed up.

So yes, the color was somewhat different because the Sony A-230 had not yet been adusted to the very same Creative Settings that were already set on the A-200, which I adjusted this morning (10/07).

I will hope that you will indeed understand that not only am I posting in this thread, but I am posting in multiple threads and websites every day. So I will indeed do my very best to keep you advised of any changes. The option, as I see it, is to stop posting. I have continued to post to this thread, even when it cost me 75 cents per minute on cruise ships. so i hope that you will indeed understand that I have not, in any wsy been a laggard.

But back to the issue at hand. I would honestly caution you, littlejohn, to be be very wary of the Nikon D-5000 camera. it is surely not its bigger brother, the Nikon D-90. That was the serious mistake that I made. And because I had purchased the D-5000 from www.amazon.com, I was able to return the camera for a full refund. That may not be the situation you find yourself in right now. So, please be very careful.

Sarah Joyce

Thanks Sarah. I fully understand how much you give to the photo community. Your posting here alone is a significant achievement. I never even thought of other boards (this is the best one isn't it???) The amount of 'teaching' you do here and the posting of images from several cameras (I lost count after I took my last sock off...) there are bound to be times where we'll need more info to understand what you are trying to get across...and I for one appreciate your efforts.

Thanks for you advise on the D5000..I can return it after 2 weeks trial.....but if it a waste of time...why. I've got 2 days left on the A230.....and when I made the changes that Tullio first suggested to me.....I came much more closer to 'keeping' this one.

It was the fit of the D5000 that I liked, but the A230...is finding a groove as well...I just have to be careful with the thumb hitting the 'flash' button all the time..

Also the D5000 you can turn the screen inside to protect it..nice feature I thought.

oh and ..nose prints???...Does everybody's screen have nose prints???
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 10:48 AM   #426

littlejohn, I'm reading that the A230 is hard to use--sounds like you are finding that, as well?
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 11:28 AM   #427

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post
littlejohn, I'm reading that the A230 is hard to use--sounds like you are finding that, as well?
No, not really, I am new to digital and to good photography and there is a lot to learn everywhere.

The camera itself, is very easy to use. For example the screen has helpful screen menus example when you switch mode dial to 'a' the screen explains what aperture priority is and also tell you that smaller F isokate subject larger F focuses on all

Or when you go into 'creative style' and select 'landscape' it explains what that is good for..and further in the menu tree..and you want to tweek settings for landscape and select 'contrast' it says...Contract adjusts the differance of light and shadow (+): stronger (-): softer

For me it keeps me from having to keep referring to the book all the time when i just need a reminder..

I don't know where you read that, but anything I've read said anything but...
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 11:45 AM   #428

Good Morning to Everyone-

As I mentioned previously regarding the two photos of the decorative squash The A-200 had the Contrast at -1, and the Sharpness and Saturation both at +2. There were no changes applied to the A-200 at all. It is easier to see the difference that the Creative Setting (sometimes called Custom Settings) made in the squash photos than in the photos of Bradley.

Yes, I will be happy to post the EXIF data from both of those shots. I did not interpet littlejohn's response to be that the A-230 was difficult to use. As with any new camera, it takes awhile to become accustomed to the camera. And finally, yes, nose prints on the LCD screen are common.

This photo of the squash was taken with the A-230 (no Creative Changes) in the Landscape Mode. EXIF Data will follow.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Oct 8, 2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 12:02 PM   #429

Here is the EXIF data on the A-230's photo of the squash.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Oct 8, 2009, 12:04 PM   #430

Here is the EXIF data for the A-200's squash photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images