Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 11, 2009, 11:48 AM   #461

Hiro is correct, Littlejohn-

The E-620 was a huge step forward for Olympus. It represents a large step up from the E-510 and E-520 cameras that suffered a lot from shortened dynamic range. Olympus also borrowed features from the E-30 to give the E-620 a competitive edge in the entry level consumer DSLR camera field.

The E-620 is well worth a try and some experimenting. Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2009, 12:11 PM   #462

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Hiro is correct, Littlejohn-

The E-620 was a huge step forward for Olympus. It represents a large step up from the E-510 and E-520 cameras that suffered a lot from shortened dynamic range. Olympus also borrowed features from the E-30 to give the E-620 a competitive edge in the entry level consumer DSLR camera field.

The E-620 is well worth a try and some experimenting. Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks for this...it helps with the 'comfortability' factor...

Lots to learn which sometimes is tiring lol....leaning the basis of photography AND about each camera is a tall order...having gotten somewhat used to the A230...and switching over to the Oly is like starting over. But how else do you make a decision?

As you suggested in the other thread...trial is the best way to do that. Take shots, make mistakes..change things.. take more shots

Buck Minister Fuller said "I've made more mistakes then anyone I know...that's why I know so much..."
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2009, 12:33 PM   #463

You are so very correct, littlejohn-

We learn by doing, and in doing we refine our techniques. I believe that there was a lot of wisdom in Tullio's statement in the javacleve Canon XSi thread. He pointed out very correctly, that we have to experiment and try every control on any serious camera.

Sometimes, it is in the process of experimenting and trying all of those controls, that we actually fine tune the camera more precisely to our photo priorities.

Also you will find a feature called "gradation" on all of the Olympus E-series cameras. That is a control that we do not see on many DSLR cameras. Start with gradation in automatic and then, once things are going fairly well, slowly begin to experiment with gradation.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 11, 2009, 3:15 PM   #464

Hi there, littlejohn-

Here is a an Olympus E-620 set-up checklist I found for you:

www.biofos.com/esystem/e620_set.html

I hope that helps.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 11, 2009, 9:34 PM   #465

Hi there littlejohn-

I was shooting with the new A-700 this evening. Thus far, I am very pleased with the results from the A-700.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Oct 12, 2009, 12:58 AM   #466

Quote:
Also you will find a feature called "gradation" on all of the Olympus E-series cameras. That is a control that we do not see on many DSLR cameras. Start with gradation in automatic and then, once things are going fairly well, slowly begin to experiment with gradation.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
The Gradation feature on Ennn series is similar to the DRO feature on the Alpha. Similarly, it is just as useless. I had the E510 and 520 and on both cameras I decided to turn it off as it did more harm than good. These features try to improve DR by bringing out the shadows. The problem here are twofold: 1) most cameras with low DR suffer from highlight clipping more than shadow clipping. Although bringing out the hsadows may seemd that DR is increased, it does so at the expense of the highlights, making matters worse rather than better. The other issue is that shadows can be recovered in PP while highlights mostly can't. The Gradation feature is much worse than the DRO. It basically shifts the histogram upward or downward depending on the setting. Both Gradation and DRO are unpredictable. It is almost impossible to determine which scene the camera is going to benefit from it the most, whether it is the Alpha or the Oly. So, my suggestion is to turn it off. You will not regret. But, the best way to find out is to experiment. Set the feature on and shoot (preferably a scene with lots of contrast). Then set it off and re-shoot. Analyze the images and then decide which way works best. In very few occasions I felt that DRO or Gradation turned on produced better results.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:07 AM   #467

Default gradation feature

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse620/page17.asp

At the bottom of the page is an example of on or off...it show quite a difference in this case I thought? And it also says, its a matter of taste..LOL
Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:09 AM   #468

Quote:
Hi there, littlejohn-

Here is a an Olympus E-620 set-up checklist I found for you:

www.biofos.com/esystem/e620_set.html

I hope that helps.

Sarah Joyce

I've bookmarked that page...

Quote:
Hi there littlejohn-

I was shooting with the new A-700 this evening. Thus far, I am very pleased with the results from the A-700.

Sarah Joyce
That great...I am awaiting the release of the 500/550.....I would like to play with it too...it is 'anticipated' to be a good camera....now for the price point...
Old Oct 12, 2009, 9:34 AM   #469

littlejohn, you didn't like the a230 ?
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 11:57 AM   #470

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse620/page17.asp

At the bottom of the page is an example of on or off...it show quite a difference in this case I thought? And it also says, its a matter of taste..LOL
This is what is so confusing to me--you get ONE example in a particular condition, of whatever feature. On dpreview, I find I like the Nikon for some of their pictures and the Canon for others--but they are all so specific (close ups of a wine bottle label, or a coin, for example), as to make it useless for determining which real photographs I will prefer!
In the case above, I like the overall feel of the image WITHOUT gradation. I see that the gradation brought out detail in the shadows, but I don't think it improved the actual photo. Personal opinion, on this one example, obviously...
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote