Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:00 PM   #501

javacleve-

That is true and actually a fact, Please read this very carefully, a Sony DSLR camera has little or no shutterlag. I did not say a Sony point and shoot camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 11:23 PM   #502

Java I was just being a little fictitious with Tullio.. But the 230 i used I didn't 'notice shutter lag' that much..

as for P&S..no idea???...but aren't we talking dslrs here???

Last edited by littlejohn; Oct 19, 2009 at 11:27 PM.
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2009, 9:38 AM   #503

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
Java I was just being a little fictitious with Tullio.. But the 230 i used I didn't 'notice shutter lag' that much..

as for P&S..no idea???...but aren't we talking dslrs here???
no, I was asking about P&S -- are any without noticeable shutter lag these days?
I will say I used someone else's Kodak easy share type of camera, and was amazed at how much better it was than my Nikon L14! There was SOME lag, but nothing like I get. The recycle time was better, too (even with flash).
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 6:22 PM   #504

javacleve-

As you might expect, point and shoot cameras, in general, have improved a great deal. Shutter lag has been nicely addressed, as you observed, and we are even seeing some specialty cameras such as the Sony WX-1 and the Canon S-90 that are now able to do elevated or higher ISO shooting.

I have not handled nor had any experience in taking photos with the WX-1 and the S-90. However, that is "new ground" for point and shoot cameras, and we ought to applaud that. It appears that neither of these two cameras has reached the ISO 3200 threshold that you need for your gymnastics photos. However, I think that we can say with some certainty, that the continued development of point and shoot cameras is yielding much more positive results.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 1, 2009, 2:29 PM   #505

tcn-

I was reading a review of the new Kodak Z-950, a 10X optical zoom camera. The fact that the new Z-950 takes automation to a whole new level very cleverly, made me think of you and your current camera search.

After reading the review, I think that Kodak may indeed be on to something here. The new Z-950 is specifically designed for folks who want to pay more attention to the photo they are taking, than to the camera itself.

Anyway, please give us an update on your camera search and how we can help.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 1, 2009, 5:26 PM   #506

Folks-

I know that we have had a continuing requests for a camera that is capable of greater automation. I think that I have found a camera that even goes beyond what we now call full automation.

Photography Blog has given the Kodak Z-950 a full 4 stars and a best buy award. The Kodak z-950 takes Intelligent Auto and moves it to a new peak with its unique combination of full image stabilization, multiple face detection, guarantee picture perfect sharp images of family member's faces, HD video, fast focus, no shutter lag at all, and the ability to recognize and set all of the needed Scene Modes, fully automatically.

Kodak is so confident in the automation on this camera, they have originated the tag line: "shoot like a professional without even knowing what a F-Stop really is!"
It is surely worth a good look.

So Bradley and I want to assure all of the folks who faithfully followed this thread that we have certainly not forgotten the roots of this thread, at all. As we head toward Christmas you will see us doing more and more user/mini reviews of point and shoot cameras that are capable of great image quality.

So plan to follow this thread. We will handle every thing from camera technique to cameras that deserve your attention for that someone special you might have in mind, maybe it is you! Christmas is coming and we want to be an excellent information source for you.

Thanks for joining us.

Sarah Joyce and Bradley
Old Nov 1, 2009, 6:00 PM   #507

folks-

Like the Kodak Z-950 which was designed to compete, in terms of physical size and image quality with the likes of the Canon SX-200, the Panasonic ZS3, the Panasonic TZ-7, and the Fuji F-70EXR, unfortunately, the lower priced Z-915 falls short in terms of image quality and noise within the recorded images.

So our conclusion is that the Z-950 does very well indeed. However, the lower priced Z-915, designed to appeal to the under $200 digital camera market, leaves a lot to be desired in terms of ultimate image quality.

For just $30 to $40 more the Kodak Z-950 far exceeds the the lower priced Kodak Z-915 camera in terms of image quality, and is worth the cost of the upgrade.

Sarah Joyce and Bradley

Last edited by mtclimber; Nov 1, 2009 at 6:03 PM.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 7:23 PM   #508

Bradley and I are often asked this-

Do we need to purchase a DSLR camera and go through that very steep learning curve, just to get better image quality?

No, you really do not have to purchase a DSLR camera just to get better image quality. There are excellent point and shoot digital cameras in the market today that might just meet your image quality requirements rather precisely.

However, and this will be fun folks, you will have to improve on your digital camera skills, if you reallycwant better image quality from some very excellent point and shoot cameras. Ugh, what?? Yes, that is probably what you are saying or thinking.

You can hold the budget line, and not be persuaded, or even "forced" into a DSLR camera situation, if you are willing to improve and really expand your camera skills. Is that hard to do. no, not at all. All Bradley and I ask is that you just follow along with us, while we tell you step by step how you can really and very substantially improve the image quality of your photos taken, not with DSLR cameras, but with point and shoot cameras, rather than DSLR cameras.

Well let's begin right now. Take a good look at the attached photo. The objective of this photo was to create a very sharp and workable image while using a less than $200.00 point and shoot camera.

OK, a bit of analysis, the lens of our point and shoot camera will be 4.5 inches from the subject and we want to use that point and shoot cameras's built-in flash to take a very good photo. Caution, Big Hint Coming:Here is what we did, we reduced the Flash Compensation by EV -1.0, an easy thing to do on our Kodak Z-1012 camera, and the exposure was just about perfect.

You be the judge: look carefully at the attached photo. It is very good indeed? It was taken with a less than $200.00 point and shoot camera. Not a DSLR camera. That should send you an important message.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce and Bradley
Attached Images

Old Nov 1, 2009, 8:37 PM   #509

Bradley and I are often asked this-

Do we need to purchase a DSLR camera and go through that very steep learning curve, just to get better image quality?

No, you really do not have to purchase a DSLR camera just to get better image quality. There are excellent point and shoot digital cameras in the market today that might just meet your image quality requirements rather precisely.

However, and this will be fun folks, you will have to improve on your digital camera skills, if you really can't get better image quality from some very excellent point and shoot cameras. Ugh, what?? Yes, that is probably what you and we are both saying or thinking.

You can hold the budget line, and not be persuaded, or even "forced" into a DSLR camera situation, if you are willing to improve and really expand your camera skills. We, and believe us, it is really not that hard to do. All Bradley and I ask is that you just follow along with us, while we tell you, step by step, how you can really ,and very substantially improve the image quality of your photos taken, not with DSLR cameras, but with point and shoot cameras, rather than DSLR cameras.

We are, about to go back to "our roots!" It is there. that you can get some really excellent photos, probably not as good as that captured by a DSLR camera, but still pretty darned good.

What we are talking about are the Cheerleaders, and the Homecoming Dance, the events that happen during each and every school year. If you are willing to pay attention, those great and memorable images can be easilyc captured by you. Yes, because we are going to be using point and shoot cameras, and not those expensive DSLR cameras, we will have to work a little bit harder, to get good images. But you will be amazed by the images!

How does that sound to you? Are you up to the challenge? We, Bradley and Sarah Joyce are here to help you. please stick with this thread and we will very closely analyze each photo opportunity, telling you how you can get very acceptable images.

Sarah and Bradley

Bradley and Sarah Joyce

Well let's begin right now. Take a good look at the attached photo. The objective of this photo was to create a very sharp and workable image while using a less than $200.00 point and shoot camera.

OK, a bit of analysis, the lens of our point and shoot camera will be 4.5 inches from the subject and we want to use that point and shoot cameras's built-in flash to take a very good photo. Caution, Big Hint Coming:Here is what we did, we reduced the Flash Compensation by EV -1.0, an easy thing to do on our Kodak Z-1012 camera, and the exposure was just about perfect.

You be the judge: look carefully at the attached photo. It is very good indeed? It was taken with a less than $200.00 point and shoot camera. Not a DSLR camera. That should send you an important message.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 1, 2009, 8:38 PM   #510
Super Moderator

yes indeed. you do not need a dslr to improve your pictures, or your photography skills. sure there are situations that demand a dslr, but for the majority of users, you can get some great shots with a p&s. examples from our users here are testament to this.

for examples, still life / semi-macro work can be done quite nicely with a p&s, and sometimes the extra depth of field of a small sensor can be quite handy.

this is one i took with an old Canon S50, a great p&s in its day, but a bit archaic these days.

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote