Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 2, 2009, 7:01 PM   #51

LOL...what an eye....

Crossing the road, interesting concept. I am actually a 'road man' and most of my career has been talking shots of roads and surrounding items....I'll have to 'reinvent myself'
But yes a lot of 'wasted' photo space in that shot..

It interesting that you noted the zoomed cows weren't level...it was rolling country, how could you tell that???

As for the zoomed truck, did you not think it was out of focus? Or was that shake??

The ladies. seem a tad 'unsharp' to me..is that my eyes or monitor?

So far I am 'trying and experimenting' and learning (that never stops btw) So far is seems like a nice little camera but I will play some more before deciding...I am going to a rodeo tonight so that should be interesting.

The one thing I do realize that that good photos are a function of the operator, as much as the camera. But I do want to start with my best foot forward..LOL, in getting a suitable cam...

Thanks for you feed back, it is most welcomed...
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 7:26 PM   #52

Default Investigating the Sony A-230 DSLR Camera

Well, LOL, we experienced a small miracle today-

The Sony A-230 arrived right on schedule this afternoon at about 4:00pm. Just to get everyone up to speed, the Sony A-230 is a new DSLR camera designed to replace the older A-200 model. After conducting focus groups world wide Sony engineers went back to the drawing board with several objectives to achieve.

* make the A-230 more user friendly
* make the A-230 weigh less
* simplify the menu system
* create a DSLR camera that would be easy for point & shooters to move over to
* create an entirely new kit lens, the Sony 18-55mm lens

The A-230 is impressive and it does seem to achieve those 5 goals listed above rather nicely.

Make the Sony A-230 more user friendly: The back of the A-230 is not cluttered with buttons. It has a very clean appearance, as you can see from the attached photo taken with the Canon XS equipped with the Canon 18-55mm kit lens.So Sony achieved their goal on this item.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 7:43 PM   #53

Default The Sony A-230 Walk around

OK, let's move on with our walk around of the Sony A-230 DSLR camera-

Reduce the weight of the Sony A-230 camera: Once more the the Sony engineers scored on this item as well. Sony managed to reduce the camera weight by 7 ounces.

Simplify the A 230's menus system: Here we see another success. The menu is very clear and actually stays away from techno-babble terms that might confuse point & shooters making the transition to a consumer level DSLR camera.

Here is how that menu looks:

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 2, 2009, 7:57 PM   #54

Continuing with our Sony A-230 walk around-

The next objective was to make the Sony A-230 camera "easy looking" rather than foreboding to point & shooters making the transition to a consumer level DSLR camera.

So How does the "Top Deck" of the Sony A-230 Camera Look: The way the mode selector and the "top deck" of the Sony A-230 camera is configured to look sort of warm and fuzzy. Here is a photo that shows that area. The Mode Selector is on the left hand side of the A-230 camera. It has the usual PASM selections and a number of commonly selected Scene Modes, just like a point and shoot camera. Success again!

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 2, 2009, 8:05 PM   #55

Continuing with our Sony A-230 walk around-

The final objective was to give the A-230 an entirely new kit lens: the Sony 18-55mm lens. Once more Sony managed to score. The kit lens on the A-230 is very comparable to the Canon 18-55mm IS lens.

The Sony lens is not an IS equipped lens because Sony like Pentax equips their camera with IS that is built into the body of the A-230 camera, so any lens attached to the Sony A-230 camera has the benefit of image stabilization.

Here is the first photo taken with the Sony A-230 camera using the new 18-55mm kit lens.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 2, 2009, 8:13 PM   #56

The hope was to break new ground with the Sony A-230's kit lens. Well it is reasonably sharp for a kit lens. But it is not a "bright" lens. The maximum aperture is F 3.5, which is common for most kit lenses used on consumer level DSLR cameras.

Here is a 100% crop of the original photo of myself taken with the Sony A-230 camera and the new kit lens. It shows reasonable sharpness, but certainly not record breaking sharpness. After all this lens is very reasonable in its cost. Is the kit lens useful? Yet it is because it is a close focusing lens that can be used at a very close range (about 4 inches).

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 2, 2009, 8:15 PM   #57

Hi there folks-

Now I have to take time out to fix dinner. Tomorrow we will do a very similar walk around of the Canon XS DSLR camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 2, 2009, 8:40 PM   #58

littlejohn-

No, I did not think the "max zoom photo" was unfocused. You can do one of two things: (1) increase the camera sharpness in the camera or sharpen the photo during the post processing cycle. I actually prefer to make the focus adjustments in the post processing cycle.

Yes, sometimes just moving across the road will make a real difference in how a photo really looks.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:19 PM   #59

One more thought concerning the Sony A-230 camera-

You should also know that the A-230 has flash memory slots for both SD cards and Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo cards. Naturally, as you might expect, the default gives priority to the Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo, instead of the SD card. However, it is a very simple menu change to give default priority to the SD card. it is entirely up to you.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:23 PM   #60

All I will say, is how far you have taken this thread from "what point and shoot should I buy" into a full blown lesson and techniques on DSLR's.
You know the rules Sarah, you have posted almost 10,000 times, no hijacking threads...
I'm not trying to disrespect you but if you are going to go on and on about DSLR's, start another thread please, this one has gone way off course. Let's respect the OP's original question, I have done that.
Thank you.

Last edited by gerrydee; Sep 2, 2009 at 10:26 PM.
gerrydee is offline   Reply With Quote