Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 30, 2009, 8:56 PM   #1

Default What point and shoot should I buy?

Cameras I have been looking at Canon XS20 IS, Nikon Coolpix P90, Pentax OptioX70, Kodak Z980, Olympus SP-565UZI am wanting a camera - most likely point and shoot, not completely opposed to DSLR however may be overkill. Main reason is to take great pics of my girls and everyday life, their activities, events, etc. I need the most zoom I can get so I can get close, like from stadium seating. I also do not want shutter lag time or at least a limited amount. I hate the lag time of my camera now - usually by the time it clicks, my youngest is gone. I also would like continuous shooting. Help me please! I don't know what to get!
tcn1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2009, 9:25 PM   #2

Default Kodak Z-980 Photo Sample

tcn-

That is a long and detailed "want" list. Firstly, a DSLR camera is really not an option unless you want to spent a whole lot of money to get the amount of zoom that you have requested.

That heads us over to the super zoom cameras such as the Kodak Z-980, the Pentax X-70, the Nikon P-90, and the Olympus SP-590, etc.They are all pretty good cameras, but the Kodak Z-980 stands out because it has a hot shoe that can accept an external flash, the Kodak P-20 external flash. So that would be my choice, if you are interested in doing quality photos, both indoors and outdoors.

You, particularly, mention candid photos of your children. Well that is something that the Kodak Z-980 camera can do very, very well. So give the Kodak Z-980 a good look. It might just fill your camera needs quite nicely. here is a Z980 photo sample

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 10:06 PM   #3

Default Steve, Please Help Me

I am really needing help deciding on a camera. I believe that I need a bridge (?) type camera btw dslr and point and shoot. I have sort of narrowed down to Nikon Coolpix P90; Canon XS1 IS; and Panisonic FZ28.
I would consider the other 20X zoom canons as well.
Main features
Major Zoom (taking pics of children's events, sporting, plays, musicals)
Least amount of shutter lag as possible
Fast continuous shooting speed

Thanks,
Ticia
Old Aug 30, 2009, 10:17 PM   #4

Picture is nice but then I just read review of the canon xs1 IS and it seemed to have a very nice review. I feel so stupid I just can't decide.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 10:32 PM   #5

TCN-

Does that mean that you are ready to fork out the cash for a Canon XSi and a 400 to 500mm IS stabilized lens? Am I hearing correctly? What did I miss something here?? A Canon XSi with that kind of lens would really be BIG BUCKS!!! where are you going with this thread, please?

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Aug 30, 2009 at 10:34 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:01 PM   #6

Oh goodness. The camera I was asking about was a canonxs #1 not I. It didn't have a seperate lens. It had 20x zoom and had a great reviw by steve. You have to know that I don't know a ton about cameras but am learning. I hope this clears things up.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:12 PM   #7

Ithought the canon xs#1 was a upper end point and shoot with 20x zoom.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 12:04 AM   #8

I think you mean the Canon SX 1. It has the CMOS sensor, hotshoe and 4 fps continuous shooting, 20x zoom and 28mm wide angle. It also shoots HD video at 1080i.
Along with the Canon seal of quality, it's going to be hard to beat unless you go to a DSLR.
gerrydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 2:48 AM   #9

Default Similar Needs and Concerns

I also have been researching a new super zoom point and shoot. My issues seem similar, lots of indoor and outdoor kid's events including music concerts, cheerleading, basketball, dance recital, football, horse shows. A few garden pics, dog pics, xmas gift opening, family portrait for xmas card. You get the idea. Have had a class in photography a LONG time ago and remember only a smidge. Tend to let the camera sit for months and then remember to use it again. Also hand camera off to family members who have had no photography training at all.

So I too am looking for a keep it simple stupid solution with the best chance at success in the most situations.

I noticed you did not mention either the Panasonic FZ28/FZ35 or the Sony HX1 in this thread. From some reviews I was starting to lean that direction.
ritap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 7:12 AM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcn1991 View Post
I am really needing help deciding on a camera. I believe that I need a bridge (?) type camera btw dslr and point and shoot. I have sort of narrowed down to Nikon Coolpix P90; Canon XS1 IS; and Panisonic FZ28.
I would consider the other 20X zoom canons as well.
Main features
Major Zoom (taking pics of children's events, sporting, plays, musicals)
Least amount of shutter lag as possible
Fast continuous shooting speed

Thanks,
Ticia
Hey Ticia:

I merged the thread you started in Contact Steve's with this one, so that all information is in the same place. Please don't ask Steve to pick a camera for you, as that's why we have the What Camera Should I Buy? Forum, so that members here can help you do that.

You've got conflicting requirements. For some indoor events, you may need a dSLR *and* a brighter lens (not a typical kit lens) to help prevent motion blur from subject movement. It all depends on the lighting. At some of the school plays I've been to, even ISO 1600 with an f/2 lens (much brighter than a kit lens or a lens you'll find on a point and shoot model) was "borderline" at being bright enough with any subject movement.

IOW, it's difficult to find one camera that does everyone well on a limited budget. So, sometimes you'll need to compromise. Ditto for sports, depending on lighting (for indoor sports or sports in a stadium at night, a dSLR with a brighter lens (again, not a kit lens) is usually needed if you want any photos without blur from subject movement). That kind of solution can get to be relatively expensive (and you may also need access to closer shooting positions to keep lens cost down). I would not expect good results for many indoor events without a dSLR using a bright lens.

You may want to give members more information on what type of sports you're referring to, and in what conditions. Daytime sports are one thing, sports indoors or a night in a stadium are something else entirely (as the lighting is not as bright as it appears to be; requiring a much more robust camera system to handle it).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote