Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 31, 2009, 3:37 PM   #1

Default still deciding

First...this is the most helpful forum there is. I've done a LOT of reading and as its been said "my head hurts"

I lost my oly 750. It was an 'ok' P&S for work and horse trips.

My wife brought an Fuji S20 pro from her brother...it crapped out. But it sure took nice pics. (he died so there is no return policy)

I started life with an Oly OM-1 - 50 mm lens (dating myself yes..)

I always wanted and enjoy 'trying' to take good pixs.

I take mostly outdoor shots, nature, people and animals etc. And some indoor family get togethers.

I tried the Oly stylus -9000, and I was disappointed...big time. Pixs are flat, and night shot are non existent..my 750 took better night shots then the 9000. I tried to catch shots of a moon in the smokey sky last night...with poor results even with a tripod.

I plan on trying the sony H-20 next..I think it will be better then the OLY 9000...I am concerned about lack of wide angle tho.

I may look at the sony A230 IF I decide on a dslr.

It does *seem* to me that I may need to consider 2 cameras...one for traving on horse back capturing the moment, and a dslr for those..'art' photos. (but I am cheap).

Mean while I'll keep looking and reading here..thanks to all posters
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2009, 3:58 PM   #2

Name:  IMG_0698 (Small).JPG
Views: 233
Size:  58.8 KBI can only speak for those horseback shots. I have found that trying to get what would be a good quality picture on horseback or horse ride is pretty hard to do.

I got to the point where I just want to remember the moment and any P&S will work for that and hope for the best.

Good luck and Happy Trails
Joe Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 4:40 PM   #3

LOL....yes once in a while I'll snap while on horseback (moving)...but usually its while stopped or off the horse.

Point being 'size' considerations. I can carry on the horn for quick draws...or in the saddle bag for the 'planned shots'

They called me 'Kenny Kodak' when I was on the '94' cattle drive...(I guess I took a lot of pixs...lol)
Old Aug 31, 2009, 5:43 PM   #4

littlejohn-

The Sony H-20 is a good choice. It you really need a wide angle and will be taking 90%+ outdoors, the look at the Panasonic ZS1. But keep in mind the ZS1 struggles indoors as it has a very small built-in flash. The flash range is 6 to 8 feet.

But for the cost of $500 you can have the Canon XS DSLR and you have it all.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 8:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
LOL....yes once in a while I'll snap while on horseback (moving)...but usually its while stopped or off the horse.

Point being 'size' considerations. I can carry on the horn for quick draws...or in the saddle bag for the 'planned shots'

They called me 'Kenny Kodak' when I was on the '94' cattle drive...(I guess I took a lot of pixs...lol)
I have always been fond of those shots between the ears while holding on for dear life. When I learned to ride the only saddle my wife had was an Aussie saddle & thats all I have used for ten years. I wouldn't know what to do with a horn !
Joe Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 10:21 AM   #6

As for the DSLR, here is another thread for ideas -

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...ie-budget.html

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 2:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
littlejohn-

The Sony H-20 is a good choice. It you really need a wide angle and will be taking 90%+ outdoors, the look at the Panasonic ZS1. But keep in mind the ZS1 struggles indoors as it has a very small built-in flash. The flash range is 6 to 8 feet.

But for the cost of $500 you can have the Canon XS DSLR and you have it all.

Sarah Joyce
I've looked at the panasonic ZS!, and one comment all say is the lack of manual adjustments...sometimes i want to play LOL

I would try it if it goes on sale tho.

Our local London Drugs has the H-20 on sale for $300 canadian ($275 US)

The Fuji S1500 is $230cdn ($209 us)

And the OLY E520 at $550 can ($500 us)

I am really enjoying the pixs that gary is taking with his 590,

I am 'thinking' that perhaps 2 camera may be eventually required..

I've like the review (here) on the kodak Z1012-15 as well.

BTW..The sony A230 is selling for $580 (530 us)..what do you think of that price? tho its more camera then I should probably go with considering my needs...

(wants vs needs,,,,,always a problem lol)
Old Sep 1, 2009, 2:43 PM   #8

littlejohn-

Yes, might face the need for 2 cameras. The Kodak Z-1012 is a very good camera and even capable of shooting at ISO 800 as well as you can see from the attached photo. The Z-1012 is still available on E-Bay. That is the only place that I know has inventory.

I have a Sony A-230 being delivered tomorrow (09/02) so that we can shoot side by side photos with the Canon XS and the Sony A-230. Beginning late tomorrow afternoon I will probably begin posting photos. So that might be helpful to you.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 3:01 PM   #9

Thanks very much for your kind words regarding my photos. I have three cameras. All have their purpose. My E410 stays pretty much welded to a tripod in my office/studio mainly due to lack of IS. The Canon A1000 I won as a door prize and it's a handy little around-the-house-for-those-quick-snaps camera. The SP590 is my take-everywhere camera. While I can't speak for it's ability to hang on a pommel, I figure that's what you have the camera's neckstrap for - to wear around YOUR neck, that is... not the horse's heheh The Panorama mode would DEFINITELY be an asset for your type of shooting. The zoom is unsurpassed (so far). IS is excellent. Past Oly superzooms had their little quirks (reds were crappy, WB was iffy, slow to focus, start-up time was eternal, shutter lag time was ouch, ad nauseum). The SP590 has overcome all of that. Having said that, don't expect ANY superzoom to give you DSLR IQ. The SP590 is a winner.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3

Last edited by gjtoth; Sep 1, 2009 at 4:40 PM.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 10:20 PM   #10

Even though my DSLR is a Sony, I like the design of the Oly E520 better than the new A230. Handle both if you can manage it.

Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote