Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 2, 2009, 11:15 AM   #1

Default Need some advice Cannon 350D or Olympus E450

I have been doing some research and I have narrowed down the choice of two cameras that I am thinking about buying.

But I am not 100% which one to go for. I am looking for an entry level SLR that I can take out and about with me has required.

At the moment I am looking at Cannon 350D I know that this one has been around for a while.

I am also looking at the Olympus E450 too, because this is newer.

But the problem that I am having is deciding on which one to go for because I haven't had any experience and there have been mixed reviews but also with Cannon 350D being out for a few years now I am wondering how it could compare to the new ones that is out now like Olympus E450.

I am planning to be use the camera for outside stuff, but also at times when I attend events and meet people I would like to take good pictures from a distance but also at times in low lighting when flash isn't allowed to be used.

So any advice would help.

cap
capbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2009, 11:27 AM   #2
Super Moderator

the canon' do much better in low light, esp married with a fast prime like the cheap 50 1.8.

have you looked into the canon rebel xs / 1000d. its reasonably priced and does quite well in low-light. and is the newest generation so will have a better image processor than the older 350d.

though if you relegated to the above-mentioned choices for your photography needs. canon 350d would fit your bill the best.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 12:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
the canon' do much better in low light, esp married with a fast prime like the cheap 50 1.8.

have you looked into the canon rebel xs / 1000d. its reasonably priced and does quite well in low-light. and is the newest generation so will have a better image processor than the older 350d.

though if you relegated to the above-mentioned choices for your photography needs. canon 350d would fit your bill the best.
I have had a look at the 1000d, but it is priced out of my range at the moment. Had I not needed a camera within the next couple of weeks. I would had saved up for that one.

At the moment I am looking at the max of 350 and I would like to get the camera to play about with it first, before I actually take it out when I meet up with some friends of mine in London for a get together and I want to know how to use the basics on the camera.

If there is any other suggestions I would actually look in to them to see if they can match my requirements and if I am able to push the money further for a better quality one.

cap
Old Sep 2, 2009, 12:23 PM   #4

capbiker-

I have owned a Canon XT in the past and I am now shooting with the Canon XS, Canon's new entry level DSLR. The most noticeable difference between the two cameras is in the AF. The new XS consistently focuses faster and more accurately that the older XT.

I still own the Olympus E-420. It is a fine camera, but you will be disappointed in its image quality unless you are willing to consistently use a good steady tripod. I have a friend who owns the E-450, and its lack of IS is very frustrating to her. her image quality sharpness suffers when the camera is hand held.

If you are at ease with the strategy of using a tripod most of the time, the E-450 is a very capable camera. Personally, I think a decision in favor of either of your possible choices represents a decided compromise. If were me, I would be willing to wait for a better piece of kit, be it the Canon XS, the Nikon D-3000, the Pentax K-2000, or the Sony A-230. Any one of those entry level cameras would have a longer useful life as well as full 1 year guarantee.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 12:26 PM   #5

I have tried the 10D & the 50mm EF f/1.8 (nifty fifty or plastic fantastic) a few times before and indeed that combo does much better in low light than my Oly E410.

Also, the E450 as well as the E420 & E520 will be discontinued very soon because of the release of the E600 (November). I'm kind of surprised to see the E450 will be discontinued already though.

Anyway, since I don't usually take photos in low light, I went with the E410 as Oly's kit lenses are decent.

FYI, here are some sample photos taken by me (photo beginner) with my E410 w/14-42mm (kit lens).

BTW, the Sony A230 sounds like a good camera according to Jim (Mod). It goes for about $450 in the US at the moment.

- Hiro

Last edited by hiro1963; Sep 2, 2009 at 1:53 PM.
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 1:26 PM   #6
Super Moderator

well, there is always the option to get a refurbished canon 1000d. you only get a 3 month warranty usually, but it is an option. i am in the US, so i am not really sure all the outlets available to you, but here is 1 i found with a quick search.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CANON-EOS-1000...d=p3286.c0.m14

it appears to be a grey-market US body, but i don't know.

there were many other options on the british ebay website, with a little more searching you can probably find the 1000d model.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2009, 12:36 PM   #7

I thought that I would just give you guys a heads up.

In the end I opted for the Cannon XS 1000D and brought it through Ebay and won the auction today for the total of 317 of which included P&P and also insurance. Considering I was the only bidder for it. LOL

It is the Cannon XS 1000D kit (So I get everything including the 18-55MM lens and also a free 4GB card).

I am now looking forward to getting my hands on it.

It most probably won't be until next week now. But I am hoping to have it for a couple of days before I take to London to meet up with some friends of mine and hopefully get some good experiences with it.

Now just a question, lens. When they say 18-55MM what does it mean?

In the past I have dealt with stuff like Zoom 10X's of.

But there is a couple of other things I am looking in to getting within the next couple of months for my new camera. That I will know that I will be asking advice for on here.

cap
Old Sep 3, 2009, 1:41 PM   #8

capbiker-

Because the Canon XS uses an APS C imager there is a 1.6 crop factor. That means that the Canon 18-55mmIS lens will give you the equivalent of lens with 28mm to 88mm (in 35mm terms. That equates to 3X optical zoom.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote