Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 29, 2009, 1:27 AM   #41

I think that the comment "Sony has a better reputation than Pentax" is a bit misguided and not well supported. Pentax has been making cameras, well respected cameras, for a lot longer than Sony has - I got my first Pentax camera in 1980, long before Sony thought about getting into the photography market. Some of their old glass is world-class, too. Both companies make excellent cameras, and probably both make some that aren't so good. I'm personally not crazy about the 10 mp Sony sensor that both Pentax and Sony have been using in many of their cameras (including the A230 and Pentax K200 and K2000, I think), while I loved the 6 mp Sony sensor that Nikon and Pentax used before Sony got into the dSLR market.

I won't say that the A230 is a better or worse camera than the K2000 as I've never handled either one, and a lot of "better" depends on the photographer's needs and personal preference (what's right for one may be wrong for another).

But I don't think that one can support the argument that Sony, as a camera manufacturer, has a better "reputation" than Pentax.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2009, 1:49 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I'm personally not crazy about the 10 mp Sony sensor that both Pentax and Sony have been using in many of their cameras (including the A230 and Pentax K200 and K2000, I think), .
I'd be interested in your reasons why...(ya I know..its personal..but enquiring minds wanna know...)
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2009, 8:45 AM   #43

Any of the cameras mentioned in this thread should basically look the same at normal printing sizes (8 x10 and below)....also when it comes to company reputations, time in the buisness does not equal quality (Ford has made cars longer then BMW). But in this case Pentax has both, the experiance and quality. But if we're going to mention Sony it should be noted that it is actually Minolta.
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2009, 1:21 PM   #44

Mtgal makes an excellent point-

IMO, all consumer level DSLR cameras are capable of producing very equal photos. In addition, all camera manufacturers in these cameras are very experienced and produce quality cameras.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:33 PM   #45

It's really that I have always preferred the 6 mp sensor over the 10 mp sensor. The 10 mp sensor has more noise than the 6 mp sensor, so manufacturers have a choice - take the noise out and lose detail, or keep the detail and the noise in and leave it to the photographer to decide how to deal with the noise/detail balance through post processing software. I don't think the extra megapixels are worth the extra noise/noise reduction. When I upgraded to the Pentax K20, I sold my K10 (with its 10 mp sensor) and kept the K100 (6 mp) even though it was older and less capable. I still have that camera and it still takes outstanding pictures and have no intention of selling it anytime soon (thinking about getting a Hoya P72 filter and trying my hand at some IR with it).
Old Oct 3, 2009, 2:58 AM   #46

Mtngal...would that be the K20D?? Is that a 14MP?
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2009, 11:43 PM   #47

Yes, I was referring to the Pentax K20D and it has a 14 mp sensor.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 10:37 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamvk View Post
Ok, Thanks. I would like to invest a good deal of money in a very good Macro lens and good telephoto lens eventually, but I'll start to look now. In the mean time....

Also how good is the lens that comes with the A230 standard?
Hows the Macro?
Hows far away does it take pictures?
(Any Samples?)

Thank you.
The standard kit lens is OK for landscape and indoor photography but it had very limited zoom range (specially the new on that comes with the A230, which is 18-55mm rather than 18-70mm of the A200). Many zoom lenses also provide macro capability. Although some people prefer dedicated macro lenses, I like the versatility of having the best of the two worlds all in one package. The greatest advantage of having a zoom with macro is that you don't have to have the lens on top of the object being photographed, which not only will chase them away (in the case of bugs and such) but it will cut light considerably.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote