Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 3, 2009, 5:39 PM   #1

Default Ultra-zoom for about $200 - FinePix S1500 or PowerShot SX110

Well, I have been taking photos with Cannon/Sony point-and-shoot's for years now. I'm fairly competent with a camera, right now I can take better pictures with my p&s than my friends with DSLR's. Anyway, I have edited every setting they have to get good shots - but it is time for a better camera.

The small lens and tiny sensors just drive me nuts trying to capture sunsets and macro shots (5-10cm). I would love to have a DSLR, but I'm sure at this point that I would have to spend at least $500 for what I need. Which is not something I can afford right now. Just like my use of the point-and-shoot has justified my upgrade to a Ultrazoom, I'm hoping this Ultrazoom will be able to justify an upgrade to a DSLR in a year or two.

Anyway, newegg has the FUJIFILM FinePix S1500 for $165 (free s/h) and yet as far as I know canons like the Canon PowerShot SX110 IS (~$240) perform better. Also, thanks to the great Nikon products like the D40 and D90 I am also interested in the Nikon COOLPIX L100 (~$200) and any other $200 Ultrazoom. I also saw the recommendation of the Kodak Z-1012 by Sarah Joyce and think it might be a good one.

At $165 I'm really doubting that anything can beat the performance-per-dollar of the FinePix, but then I don't mind paying another $40 if you guys think it's worth it.

Like I said, I shoot lots of close ups (as close as 5cm) and distance shots like clouds and sunsets. I also take pictures of fast changing (and sometimes moving) objects - so being able to take 5 pictures in 2 seconds is important to me even if the auto-focus (for moving objects) is too slow.

Last edited by Xeoncross; Sep 3, 2009 at 5:57 PM. Reason: addition
Xeoncross is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2009, 5:57 PM   #2

Default check out the Kodak Z-1012, It is in Your Price Range!

xeoncross-

There is one more camera in that price range that should also be considered. It is the Kodak Z-1012 camera. It is no longer on dealer's shelves but it is available on E-Bay.

The Z-1012 has both an EVF and a LCD screen, allowing it to be used at eye level as well as arm's length. The Z-1012 has really excellent image quality, surely better than the Fuji S-1500, the SX-110, and the Nikon L-100.

You might want to check it out.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2009, 6:25 PM   #3

Wow, just as I submitted an edit mentioning her - she posts - and about that same camera too! Awesome timing.

Anyway, I wouldn't want to by one off ebay but I found one for $230 here. Still, for $60 more is it really that much better? Oh, and the pictures that people keep posting (like above) don't seem that useful. How about a 100% crop so we can see noise and image blur?

EDIT:

Ya, dispite the extra cost and the fact that the Kodak was released over a year ago (and is now discontinued) the great reviews I keep finding and HD video are making me lean that way. I found a nice comparison here.

Last edited by Xeoncross; Sep 3, 2009 at 6:41 PM. Reason: addition
Old Sep 3, 2009, 6:43 PM   #4

Xeoncross-

You might want to do a www.resellerrating.com check on that retailer. In the mean time, I will scare up a 100% crop for you.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 3, 2009, 7:12 PM   #5

Actually, perhaps a used Kodak isn't such a bad thing. eBay does list several for only $170 and they include a 1yr warranty (which I would assume is plenty).

Also, this page has a bunch of full-res photos that I can review - though many seem to have trouble blurring one color into another (like where a wall meets the sky)
Old Sep 3, 2009, 7:31 PM   #6

Default Kodak Z-1012 100% crop

Hey xeoncross, we are talking about a LESS that $200 camera right-

This is not a Leica M-8 camera. Here is my offering for a 100% crop.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Sep 3, 2009 at 7:36 PM.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:10 PM   #7

Yes, I'm shooting for a sub $200 camera.

Not bad, even through the glass I can still see the eye really well. After looking around some more I found more referbished Z-1012's for about $150 all with a 1yr warranty and from sellers with thousands of sales. I guess that for $60 cheaper than store price I don't mind having the warranty reduced from 2yr's.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:34 PM   #8

Xeoncross-
I would characterize you as one of the top notch bargain buyers, and leave it there. Enjoy your Kodak Z-1012 camera, it is really a great camera.

Sarah Joyce