Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 13, 2009, 3:43 PM   #1

Default NEW totaly lost on what kind of camera to buy

I take mostly photos of my kids in baseball/football. Also them posing. But mainly a lot of sport pictures. I have been reading but really lost on which one to buy.
Someone suggested the Nikon D40 or a Cannon Rebel. I do not want to spend a lot right now. Football games are mostly at night or right when it turning dark.
I have a Konica Minolta Z6 but it is not taking such great pictures.
cbbutler2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2009, 10:01 PM   #2

What is your price range?
Old Sep 14, 2009, 8:16 AM   #3

Please take a look at my responses in this other thread to a similar discussion:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...preciated.html

The D40 would not be a good choice for nighttime football. The least expensive camera I would recommend is the Canon T1i. In Nikon you'd have to move up to the D90.

But here's the bad news - you really need a 70-200 2.8 lens (about $800 for the sigma version) to be able to shoot nighttime football - assuming you're on the sidelines and not on the other side of the fence or in the stands.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 9:22 AM   #4

thanks. Yeah for one son but the other I am in the stands
try to stay under $700
cbbutler2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 9:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbutler2 View Post
thanks. Yeah for one son but the other I am in the stands
try to stay under $700
I'm afraid you're going to have to give up on the idea of shooting nightime football with that budget.

One other word of caution as you search around - Caveat Emptor. You're going to have a number of suggestions for what DSLRs you could get for $700 or less. Ask the people recommending those for their sports photos. 99% of the time they won't have any. And, more specifically, shots of the types of sports you want to shoot. Each sport is different. Seeing a fan shot of major league baseball is VERY different than trying to take shots of your son playing football or soccer.

Good luck in your search, but with that budget you're going to have to accept a lot of compromises in your solution. But, judge for yourself when you look at the sports images from the gear you're being recommended to buy. Assuming of course, those people actually have any sports images.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbutler2 View Post
I take mostly photos of my kids in baseball/football. Also them posing. But mainly a lot of sport pictures. I have been reading but really lost on which one to buy.
Someone suggested the Nikon D40 or a Cannon Rebel. I do not want to spend a lot right now. Football games are mostly at night or right when it turning dark.
I have a Konica Minolta Z6 but it is not taking such great pictures........

but the other I am in the stands

What kind of pics are you trying to take? There is a big difference between cover photos for Sports Illustrated and snapshots proclaiming "I was there".

Since you said you are in the stands, one can assume you are not trying to shoot for SI, but are you going to be happy with snapshots, because even with $$$$$ of lenses and a super duper body shooting anything at night from the stands is at best a snapshot event.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 4:30 AM   #7

Shooting sports at night is probably one of the toughest challenges a photographer can have, at least regarding his equipment. Fast action and low light usually equals bad photos. You will need a really fast lens (say 2.8) with a great reach (say >= 200mm since with most dSLR that will equal 300mm). Other than that you will need a dSLR that can go high on ISO, so that you can shoot fast, and that can do nice bursts, so that you can later choose the best pictures of a single moment. This is all expensive stuff, especially for an amateur. I think a good advice would be to work your way as close as possible into the action using a bit of “social engineering” or whatever. That’s the only way you can get ok pictures with not so ok equipment IMHO.

Regards
vertigoPT is offline   Reply With Quote