Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 16, 2009, 2:27 PM   #1

Default Canon DSLR or Sony DSLR For Landscapes?

Hi im looking to buy a DSLR in the near future. My mother has a Sony A200 which i find very complicated to use i find (and im quite techie). I really like Canon cameras as they are simple to use and i think i have the edge on picture quality. I already have a Canon EF 75-300mm and a EF 28-80mm (i know that the lens will be magnified) From a Canon EOS 500 (film). I mainly take Landscapes, Creative shots, Cars etc. I would like to know whether i would be better buying a Sony A380, A350, A230 or a Canon 1000D, 450D? I don't want to pay more than 500

Thanks
Chris!
gibsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2009, 2:59 PM   #2

Chris,

Let me say I wouldn't put too much stock in the lenses you own. If you DO buy a Canon, get the kit lens. It will be better than the 28-80 you have. The 75-300 is also a pretty poor lens.

For the types of shots you're taking I don't think there's a feature benefit to one system over the other - both will produce good results.

I would encourage you to handle specific cameras you are considering. As ergonomics vary slightly by model. It's a bit surprising to hear you find the Sony's more complicated but it could simply be a matter of 'different'. So, if after handling both you still prefer ergonomics of one camera over another there's no need to justify it - ergonomics are a very individual thing. But either system is capable of equivelent quality shots for what you're intending to do. In most cases any more, IQ differences are more attributable to lens used vs camera body. At ISO 100-400, IQ from all the major manufacturers on APS-C or 4/3 sensor DSLRs is going to be virtually identical. What will be different is pre-sets (sharpness, color, etc...) so you may find in one system you get preferable results by setting those variables a little different than in another.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 3:01 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
My mother has a Sony A200 which i find very complicated to use...
My suggestion would be to look the newer A230 if you think the A200 is complicated when comparing camera models like the Sony and Canon entry level offerings. The newer A230 has a brand new user interface designed to be very simple to use, with graphics designed to show the user the impact of any settings changes.

Click on some of the links you'll find on this page for examples (noting how the screen shows you how the settings impact Depth of Field, ability to freeze action (with a runner on the faster side of the graphics bars, and a still subject on the side of the graph with a slower shutter speed setting). For starters, I'd try the "View Graphics Display" link under the "Improve Skills as you Shoot" section in the second row of examples (left side of page, just above the flash info)

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665879092

You'll also see links under other sections showing how different scene modes impact settings used by the camera and more (for example, a narrower aperture setting for better depth of field when shooting landscapes, etc.)

If your budget is limited, I'd certainly take a look at the newer Sony A230. It offers a lot of "bang of the buck" in the entry level market niche. You can find some pretty good deals on it right now with a $500 budget. In Europe, with your 500 budget, I don't know what you'd find. For example, you may be able to find a two lens kit with the A230, 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses if you shop around at reputable vendors.

As for the Canon 75-300mm lens, it doesn't have a great reputation for sharpness on it's longer end (and you'll find the same thing with most budget lenses with that focal range, getting softer at longer focal lengths when you need to zoom in more). While it would be better than no lens for the longer end if your budget is limited, I'd consider going with a better lens, regardless of the system you choose.

You could also go used if needed. Just look under the 35mm, Minolta Autofocus (a.k.a., Minolta A, Dynax, Maxxum, Alpha mount) lens listings at popular vendors to find lenses you can use with the Sony A230 (and they'd all be stabilized, thanks to the in body stabilization system).

If you decide on a model like the XS (1000D), you'll also find a number of used Canon Autofocus (EF and EF-S mount) lenses for sale at reputable vendors of used gear.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:52 PM   #4

Thanks for your reply, I already have the EF 28-80mm and the EF 75-300mm (they came from my mums old EOS 500, and they are 13 years old!) and they seem fine but hey im not a photography genius! I think that I will look at the A230 if you say that it is allot simpler to use!
Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:56 PM   #5
Administrator

Yes, all of the new entry level Sony dSLR models (A230, A330, A380) are designed to be very easy to use, with graphics showing how camera settings are impacting Depth of Field and the ability to Freeze Action. These models are designed for first time dSLR owners, wtih screens designed to help them understand basic photography concepts.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 3:25 PM   #6

I have just been on the Jessops website and i can get a Sony A330 with a 18-55mm lens for 399 also i can get a Canon EOS 1000D with 18-55mm lens for 399 are there any differences that would make on much better than the other? I can also get a A330 with a 18-55mm and a Tamron 70-300mm Lens and a Sandisk Ultra II 4GB SDHC Card For 529 or a Canon EOS 1000D with a 18-55mm lens a Tamron 70-300mm Lens and a Sandisk ultra II 8GB SDHC Card for 539. Also i just saw a Canon EOS 500D Body only, would it be a good idea to just buy that and use the two lenses i already have with that, (the camera is 529)

Last edited by gibsonc; Sep 17, 2009 at 3:33 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 3:35 PM   #7
Administrator

You'll have to decide what camera is a better fit. Personally, I'd go with the Sony. But, I'm probably biased since I currently shoot with a Sony A700.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 5:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonc View Post
Hi im looking to buy a DSLR in the near future. My mother has a Sony A200 which i find very complicated to use i find (and im quite techie). I really like Canon cameras as they are simple to use and i think i have the edge on picture quality. I already have a Canon EF 75-300mm and a EF 28-80mm (i know that the lens will be magnified) From a Canon EOS 500 (film). I mainly take Landscapes, Creative shots, Cars etc. I would like to know whether i would be better buying a Sony A380, A350, A230 or a Canon 1000D, 450D? I don't want to pay more than 500

Thanks
Chris!
There are lot's of fine cameras out there, other than just Canon or Sony. We have a Sony DSLR at work (I'm retired now) and while it's fine I prefer my Pentax, or think Canon or Nikon are cameras you should also look at. I don't know if your Canon lenses can be used on a new Canon DSLR, but if they can (check with a good photography store) I would think Canon might be the first camera line you might investigate, so you can use the lenses.

I do a lot of vintage car photography, with other photogs.

I use a Pentax K10D and a Pentax KM...mostly with either the kit 18-55 or the Pentax 16-45. The 16-45 I find is a wonderful lens...I generally shoot at 16 mm, which translates to about a 24 mm wide angle.

Crisp, clear, colour rendition is great and the shake reduction in the body, helps when I'm shooting in low light...end or beginning of day shots.

My photog buddies use Canon...a 40D and a 5 D. One uses an older Canon lens..think it's 28-105, the other uses the Canon 17-40 L.

Some of the lenses and cameras I've mentioned are expensive and will exceeed your 500 pound budget.

But my basic Pentax KM body with it's shake reduction in the body and using the kit 18-55 and 50 mm F1.4 is no slouch. The basic Canon DSLR is quite good also.

There is a new Pentax body that has just been introduced...the KX. This will be the basic Pentax which will supersede the KM. It has video.

It also has shake reduction in the body and ISO from 100 to...12,800...important for low light capabilities for low light shooting...cars look better in my opinion, at the end or the beginning of the day.

I would recommend you wait for some tests, or check out reviews of the cameras you are considering on different test sites.

I would also see if you can try the camera model(s) you are looking at at the camera store.

I have asked store clerks if I can take the camera model or lens out to the parking lot to try some shots on my car, just to get an idea if the camera or the lens can deliver what I want.

I just take a few shots...20-25 on the store demonstrator.

I am a regular at the store and often the clerk will come out which is fine by me. It is important for me to see if the camera or lens can do what I want, before purchase.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2009, 7:19 PM   #9

The Sony A-230 or A-330 get my vote over the Canon 1000D because the Sony has the IS built right into the camera body. That allows you to purchase regular lenses and still have the full benefit of IS. That is better than paying a premium price for IS equipped lenses.

The Sony A-230 will actually cost less than the Canon 1000D.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2009, 9:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
You'll have to decide what camera is a better fit. Personally, I'd go with the Sony. But, I'm probably biased since I currently shoot with a Sony A700.
same here I use an A700 with an A200 as a backup and I never found the A200 complicated myself. Check the A230 out.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote