Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:38 PM   #31

LittleJohn-

No, that was not taken with the Sony A-230, it was taken with an Olympus camera. However, what I attempting to show is that a photo like that could easily be done with the Sony 18-55 mm kit lens which does have a close focus capability. If you want to zero in closer on the rose, than I have shown here, then you would have to move to a specialized macro lens, such as the Sony 30mm Macro lens.

But, I have found that I can do quite a bit of my macro photos (like this one, which was taken with the Zukio 14-54 mm lens at the 14mm setting. Please remember the Olympus has a 2.0X multiplier, so the 18 mm setting on the A-230's kit lens would have this same view, as the multiplier on Sony lenses is 1.5X ) with the A-230's kit lens, thus saving you some $$.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2009, 2:24 AM   #32

That's GREAT news... I'll have to try that...thanks Sarah
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2009, 7:42 AM   #33

Great post Sarah. Thanks.
Something can be added about sensors and pixel density. Here's a good insider:

Sensors
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2009, 9:30 AM   #34

Thanks a lot Ordo-

That is an excellent explanation and an outstanding reference piece.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2009, 9:41 AM   #35
Administrator

The Sony 18-55mm kit lens has a maximum magnification of approximately 1:3.4

Basically, that means that at it's closest focus distance (approximately 8.9 inches) when zoomed in to it's longest focal length, you can fill the frame with a subject that's approximately 3.4x the size of it's APS-C sensor. That's probably fine for most closeup photos of flowers.

If you want to fill the frame more with a smaller subject (insects, etc.), then you may want a dedicated 1:1 Macro lens (which means that you can fill the frame with a subject the same size as a camera's film or sensor size).

You'll find these available at a variety of price points. For example, I know of a Sony dSLR owner that recently bought a used Vivitar 100mm f/3.5 Macro from B&H for only $69. You'll find the same basic lens sold under Phoenix, Cosina and Promaster brand names, with minor cosmetic differences between them. It's a 1:2 Macro lens by default, but it comes with an adapter that gives it 1:1 Macro magnification.

In addition to 1:1 macro lenses from a specific camera manufacturer (for example, the Sony 30mm, 50mm, and 100mm f/2.8 macro lenses), you'll also find a number of 1:1 Macro lenses from a variety of manufacturers. For example, the Sigma 50mm, 70mm, 105mm, 150mm and 180mm f/2.8 macro lenses are popular choices. Ditto for models like the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro (a very popular lens).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote