Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 26, 2009, 9:48 AM   #1

Default Fujifilm Finepix F70EXR vs. Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H20

Ive been needing a new camera for a few months now, but choosing one has stopped me from pulling the trigger. I think I've got it narrowed down to two.

If the H20 were as small and form fitting as the F70EXR, I'm sure I'd go with the H20. The reason I'm considering the F70EXR is that from its looks, it seems like a camera I can fit in the front pocket of a pair of jeans.

However, I'm not so sure I'd be in enough situations where having a camera that doesn't need to be lugged along and can easily fit in my pants pocket warrants buying a camera that seems a little inferior to the other.

I guess my question is, will the quality of my pictures in most situations (a day at the zoo, some pics at night in a bar or in my home) be about as good with the F70EXR as it would with the H20, where the added convenience of pocketability makes the F70EXR a good choice? Also, not just pic quality, but everything else such as battery life, video, etc.

Also, if you think I'm better off with another P&S altogether, I'm open to suggestions (I really like the zoom feature of the above cameras, but I guess I can live with a little less). Thanks.
Fantome is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2009, 9:58 AM   #2

Fantome-

Because the Fuji F-70 is new to the market we have really not seen much in the way of professional reviews. When we see those professional reviews we will know a whole lot more.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2009, 11:39 AM   #3

Every time size becomes the most important feature, the amount of compromise increases and you become much more limited in terms choices if long zoom is also a priority. Currently Panasonic and Canon both offer 12x in very compact bodies but some compromises must be made as they tend to have a few performance issues indoors (not as bad as people think, though).

I haven't seen real good, clear images from the H20 at full zoom and on top of that, I find it to be very limiting for indoor photography due to its not-so-wide lens (38mm). Even though some participants here really like this camera, IMO just because it has a strong flash it does not make it the best compact camera out there. The Fuji f70EXR has received mixed reviews. Because the camera processes the images so much, battery life is a real problem. But other than that, I think it's a better choice over the H20.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2009, 3:45 PM   #4

fantome-

Based on your own personal requirements, I agree with Tullio, that the Fuji F-70 is probably the better choice for you by just a very small margin.

Have a good day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 27, 2009, 6:37 PM   #5

Thanks, looks like so far it's the F70EXR. What do you think is best for me if the choice was between the F70EXR and the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3? I could live with not so great battery life if the pictures are crisp and accurate.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 8:58 PM   #6

Fantome-

The Panasonic ZS3 does very well out of doors. However, indoors, due to it very weak built-in flash, it is horrible. So you judge where you take your photos?

The Sony H-20 has the very best built-in flash. The Fuji F-70 appears OK, however, to be totally honest, I am not yet really positive. But the ZS1/ZS3 cameras are slugs!

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 8, 2009, 9:53 PM   #7

fatome-

I received my Fuji F-70EXR today (10/08) and have started a thread examining the F-70EXR's many features.

Here is a sample photo taken in the Extended DR Mode.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Oct 9, 2009, 4:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
fatome-

I received my Fuji F-70EXR today (10/08) and have started a thread examining the F-70EXR's many features.

Here is a sample photo taken in the Extended DR Mode.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks Sarah. I'm still pulling my hair out trying to decide on a camera. I've decided that if I'm going for a Fuji, I'll go with the F200EXR and sacrifice zoom for the bigger sensor. Starting one more "help me decide" thread as I've ruled out the DSC-H20.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 5:32 PM   #9

fantome-

That is a fair conclusion. The fuji F-200EXR is an amazing camera.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 9, 2009, 5:46 PM   #10

The problem with the new line of Fuji cameras is the reduced battery life. These cameras do a lot of image processing before it records it and the battery is not powerful enough, running out of juice after 200 shots (or less depending on the settings). At this rate, you must have at least a couple of spare batteries to take you through a full day's worth of picture taking. By the time you add the cost of these babies, the total price becomes a lot less attractive.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote