Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 29, 2009, 8:32 PM   #11

What kind of flash would I need to do the job using the Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G lens? I prefer to keep things in the Nikon family. How can a flash help when I am sitting in the stands and the action is the middle of the football field?

Excuse my newbie questions for this is new territory for me. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
With a 5.6 aperture the lens will not be good enough for nighttime action shots - which is why you will need a flash for the cheerleading. Even an f2.8 lens would likely be insufficient since the lighting will not fall on the cheerleaders but the field of play. F2.8 and ISO 3200-6400 would allow you to shoot action on the field but if you want to shoot the cheerleaders off the field then flash is the only way you're going to do it well.
ghudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 5:39 PM   #12

Location: i live in stalybridge about 20 min out side manchester

i bought this camera the other day with the nikon 18-55 , and a 55-200 mm lenes, ive not had a proper look around yet but it seems well built and excelent quality, my test images were very good. ive had a few entry level dslrs and i think this is best ive had in some time .
*music*

robert89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 11:55 AM   #13

An external flash is an excellent accessory item. However, based on the model selected, it will have a finite Flash Range (the distance measured in feet between the camera and your subject where you will get the proper exposure.) Therefore, that flash will do you no good at all when taking photos from the grandstand of a football game hundreds of feet away from the action on the field, with the Nikon 55-200mmVR lens. However, the SB600 and SB800 have enough power to use bounce flash very effectively with white ceilings of heights up to 10 feet. Bounce flash works very well.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; May 29, 2010 at 7:10 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 1:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghudson View Post
How can a flash help when I am sitting in the stands and the action is the middle of the football field?

Excuse my newbie questions for this is new territory for me. Thanks!
If you're in the stands you're not going to get good shots - PERIOD. You're throwing money away trying. For starters 200mm is going to give decent shots only if your subject is 25 yards away or closer. If you're in the stands that will probably just reach the sidelines. second, the angle is all wrong - shooting down on your subject, not up.

So, based on hands-on experience, I will tell you with that lens from the stands you'll get poor results no matter what you do.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 2:10 PM   #15

However, for what it might be worth. I use my SB-800 flash all the time with my Nikon 55-200mmVR lens. It has the necessary reach and can even provide bounce flash very nicely out to a Flash Range (the distance, measure in feet, from the camera to the subject) of 20 to 25 feet.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote