Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 3, 2009, 6:16 PM   #1

Default looking for advice

Here is a message I received from my 25 year old who has been taking pretty cool pics with his point and shoot:
"I am getting more interested in photography. What would be the best camera to upgrade to? I'd like a good starter body that takes great pictures but that is adaptable to many lenses so that I can upgrade just the lens to take better and better pictures if I become more and more into it. As for a lens I just really want range and capability for a lot of different types of shots. I also like lenses that can do wide aperture shots, those are pretty cool."
Reading your reviews I was thinking of the Rebel T1i or the Nikon D90, partly because I expect that he would want to be able to take video clips too. His budget is about US$1,000. He is in Korea at the moment and figures he'd be able to get a better deal there.
What would be your advice?
mikkamakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2009, 6:33 PM   #2
Super Moderator

i don't think he could go wrong with either the t1i or the d90. they both offer alot of great features and image quality for the price.

if you went with the canon t1i. you could get the kit which comes with the 18-55 image stab lens. the optics of this lens are quite good and the image stab works well. its not well built, but for the price, the optics are great.

you could add the 55-250 image stab for around 200-250$. again, build quality isnt fantastic on this lens. but the optics are top-notch, especially when you consider the price. and again it offers image stabilization.

this would cover the focal length from 18-255 and do it for about 1000$, and do it quite well.

i am sure nikon offers a similar set-up. but i shoot canon, so i will leave the nikon shooters to fill in those details.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2009, 7:28 PM   #3

Wow, thanks for the quick response. Would there be a better choice for him, that I might have overlooked?
Also, I am not clear on the different "families" of cameras. What is the difference between the D10, D100s, D1000 families? Am I comparing apples to oranges if I compare the D90 to the - let's say - D3000? Is the higher number in the same series the same, only more advanced?
Old Oct 3, 2009, 7:37 PM   #4
Super Moderator

those are definately 2 great dslrs that fit your price point quite nicely. and nikon and canon both have extensive lens selections.

others from other brands to consider. Olympus E-620, Pentax K20D.

well. for nikon anyways. the d3000 is a lower end model than the d90. whereas the d300 would be a step above the d90. and the d3x would be the step above the d300.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 8:20 PM   #5

How about the D5000? It sounds a lot like the D90.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 10:01 PM   #6
Super Moderator

the d5000 is 1 step down from the d90. i think it lacks the in-body motor that some nikon lenses require. someone that shoots nikon can confirm that?
Old Oct 4, 2009, 1:46 AM   #7

Default Window shopping myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
the d5000 is 1 step down from the d90. i think it lacks the in-body motor that some nikon lenses require. someone that shoots nikon can confirm that?
True.....http://www.dpreview.com/news/0904/09...nikond5000.asp
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2009, 3:52 AM   #8

See http://www.nikonusa.com/Assets/Commo...LR_Compare.pdf

The D5000 has a smaller, but tiltable display, it doesn't have the in-camera motor, or the Depth-of-Field Preview. It also has a slower frame rate for continuous shooting, but it has more Scene modes and Flash Sync modes but no flash bracketing like the D90.

The D5000 also can't take as many photos on a full battery, and doesn't have an optional vertical grip.

There are some other minor differences, but those are the highlights.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote