Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 5, 2009, 11:35 PM   #11

And for comparison littlejohn-

Here is that same Sony 55-200mm lens on the A-230. So can actually see the effect of purchasing further up in a camera line.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 12:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
And by the very nature of these things almost nobody buys lots of P&S cameras.
Well yeah, I would think one would suffice.

Quote:
So anecdotal experience is the very least reliable form of information you could get.
I'd say it's no more or less so than anything else. After all some "expert" review is still anecdotal.

Quote:
If you want to make a choice regarding reliability then forums are absolutely the worst place to ask, because anecdotes from a random group of people who happen to read this thread will give you no information which is worth basing a decision on.
Agree to disagree.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook View Post
Reliability among compact cameras is very, very hard to get a handle on,
Apparently. But the posts are helpful so thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Hi there big red-

If you are willing to spend a few more dollars, you can dramatically improve the quality of the camera you will be getting. For example, over on E-bay you can find the Kodak Z-1012 for around $225.00. Steve gave it an excellent review. You might want to check out that review. and about $240.00 you can get the Sony H-20.

Both cameras offer a lot of bang for the buck.
Appreciate it, but unfortunately cost is an issue at this time...and I trust ebay as far as I can throw it anyway. But again thx anyway.

I'm still surprised I haven't gotten 1 specific recommendation or opinions (good or bad) about any cameras in any way though. sheesh
bigred2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 1:58 PM   #13
Super Moderator

I have a specific recommendation.

Check out Steves Reviews or get a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS15A.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 3:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
And for comparison littlejohn-

Here is that same Sony 55-200mm lens on the A-230. So can actually see the effect of purchasing further up in a camera line.

Sarah Joyce

Hmmm very interesting ...thanks...

BTW I sent you a pm...
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 3:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred2 View Post

I'm still surprised I haven't gotten 1 specific recommendation or opinions (good or bad) about any cameras in any way though. sheesh

Yes but you got 323 views and 14 replies.(not counting this one...)
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2009, 7:52 AM   #16

Bigred, I am looking at my consumer reports Sept 2009 issue which has camera ratings. The rating are dominated by Canon. 3 models of the first 5 are Canon, but since you don't want to have anything to do with them I will list the non Canon Camera's for you in your price range. Consumer reports has a simple rating system Excellent,VeryGood,Good,Fair,Poor.

Samsung SL102 ranked 14 out of 43 rated camera's. It has a price of $130. This is the first camera on the list with a price under $200. Camera rated verygood in every category except first shoot delay were it rated a good. Most camera's on the list rated good or fair in this category. Consumer Reports has this camera listed as recommended.

Next up placing 15 out of 43 is the Casio Exilim Zoom EX-Z85. It is priced at $130. It rated very good in all category's and scored an excellent in the Dynamic Range category.

Next placing 16 out of 43 is the Pentax Optio P70. It is $180 It scored a verygood in all it's categories except in First shoot delay it scored a fair and Dynamic Range were it scored an excellent.

Finally we have the Sony Cyber shot DSC W230. it scored 17 out of 43 and is priced at $200. It scored a good first shoot delay and an excellent in next shoot delay and very good in all other aspects.

So for an over view you may want to to look at the following camera's
Samsung SL102
Casio Elixim Zoom EX-Z85
Pentax Optio P70
Sony Cyber-shot DSC W230

Good luck with your search.

Cheers
Steve
Steve71 is offline   Reply With Quote