Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 4, 2009, 5:20 PM   #1

Default Digital camera for under $200 - other than Canon

Had a powershot, died after just a few years, so not a player. Others you like and why? Prefer from personal experience but 2d hand things you've heard from those you trust could help - thx
bigred2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2009, 9:47 PM   #2

Why would 26 people read this thread if they had nothing to suggest? ?
Old Oct 4, 2009, 10:39 PM   #3

Well first you are pretty vague on info other then no Canon,, and little money..but nothing on why you want the camera.

As for the 26 people reading this thread...actually 26 people clicked on this thread..whether they read it or not....we aren't sure..and maybe after reading it couldn't answer your question.

If I was you, I'd be asking myself why.
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2009, 11:39 PM   #4

Quote:
... Prefer from personal experience ...
If compact models stayed on sale for a few years, that would be a good qualifier. However, it's very rare for any compact to last over 1 year on today's frenzied market (DSLR models not so much so). So most of our personal compacts are now obsolete. That leaves reviews and store visits as our main means for info on current compacts. If you specifically wanted a used compact, not new, then we could help with personal experience. But most of the inquiries posted here are for new, current, camera models.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2009, 7:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
Well first you are pretty vague on info other then no Canon,, and little money..but nothing on why you want the camera.
To take pictures. At this price range, what other info is needed? I don't get the impression there are cameras under $200 that are dramatically different regarding their "target audience." I'm simply looking for inexpensive cameras that people got and liked and why (takes great pics, has lasted a long time, this or that feature has proven really useful or better done than in others, has better optical zoom than others, etc etc).

Quote:
As for the 26 people reading this thread...actually 26 people clicked on this thread..whether they read it or not....we aren't sure..
Why on Earth would someone click on a thread and not read it? Do these people buy food and not eat it too?

Quote:
If I was you, I'd be asking myself why.
You might notice that my first reply did exactly that, while at the same time asking others as well. I have to admit I hadn't considered this group of people who click on threads but don't read them.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 7:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook View Post
If compact models stayed on sale for a few years, that would be a good qualifier. However, it's very rare for any compact to last over 1 year on today's frenzied market (DSLR models not so much so). So most of our personal compacts are now obsolete. That leaves reviews and store visits as our main means for info on current compacts. If you specifically wanted a used compact, not new, then we could help with personal experience. But most of the inquiries posted here are for new, current, camera models.
Wow thx didn't know - amazing how "disposable" and changeable things like cameras are nowdays. Well I guess I can't count on "has lasted a long time" as a pro, but I'd think there would at least be some out there who bought a camera recently and really liked it for this or that reason.......

Anyway thx - see now that's good info, even if it means it might be harder for me to get or find specific recommendations.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 8:06 AM   #7
Super Moderator

And by the very nature of these things almost nobody buys lots of P&S cameras.

So anecdotal experience is the very least reliable form of information you could get. Mostly people just go - I got X last week and it's brilliant. [Because they spend hours agonising over whether X was better than Y and don't like to think they might have made a mistake.]

If you want information about reliability anecdotes are worthless. My wife has had the same powershot for 5+ years, it has travelled across many continents, been dropped, abused, chewed by dogs and children, survived wind, rain, dust storms, snow and still takes a great picture. Feel better about yours now? Didn't think so.

If you want to make a choice regarding reliability then forums are absolutely the worst place to ask, because anecdotes from a random group of people who happen to read this thread will give you no information which is worth basing a decision on.

At your price point the best you can do is get one you like the look of and try to find a good deal on an extended warrantee.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 9:46 AM   #8

Quote:
... amazing how "disposable" and changeable things like cameras are nowdays ...
Oh, I'm in complete agreement with you. Decades ago when I was building up my 35mm system the WhizitMk5 was on the market long enough to become a well known instrument, buying one was kinda like adopting a new family member. Disposable is now a fair description, especially for budget compacts. However, there are serious performance differences. You can see those differences for yourself in the reviews. Reliability among compact cameras is very, very hard to get a handle on, as the other post here suggested. Buy new (not used) and hope for the best ...

no help Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2009, 10:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred2 View Post
Why would 26 people read this thread if they had nothing to suggest? ?
A lot of people click here to read and learn...while they may not have any experience with a P&S, they might read to find if there are 'new' gems ..'must haves' out there. Or Xmas presents for Grandkids..

I am looking for a camera too, a DSLR...and like everything else electronic...the 'life' span before something new comes along is very short..its frustrating. Even at the higher price point.
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2009, 11:15 PM   #10

Hi there big red-

If you are willing to spend a few more dollars, you can dramatically improve the quality of the camera you will be getting. For example, over on E-bay you can find the Kodak Z-1012 for around $225.00. Steve gave it an excellent review. You might want to check out that review. and about $240.00 you can get the Sony H-20.

Both cameras offer a lot of bang for the buck.

Hi there littlejohn-

Well we just got home after some 8 hours of driving. But it is good to be home. Here is another idea for you. Why not look at an upgraded Sony Alpa, such as the A-700 which has come down a lot in price as it is near the time for it to be replaced.

Here is a photo I took of Bradley tonight with the A-700 using the Sony 55-200mm lens, which is another great buy. Buying up the model chain brings some really useful added features.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote