Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 5, 2009, 1:50 PM   #1

Default Looking to replace Fuji F31

I am looking at the Fuji F70exr. We mostly take indoor family photos. My last several cameras have been fuji because of the high iso. Should I continue this trend? I am not worried about MP. I usually set the camera to take pics at a lower MP anyway.
Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2009, 8:18 AM   #2

Netman-

The Fuji F-70 has just recently hit the marketplace in an attempt to take advantage of the upcoming Christmas time market. I just returned from an extended 3 week trip, but to date, I have not seen any professional reviews on the F-70. The point I am attempting to make is that the F-70 will currently be at at its peak or introduction price, when very few, if any, discounts will be offered, until probably after the first of the year.

Since indoor, family photos are a real priority for you, why not take a good look at the Sony H-20 camera. or if you want to save some money, and because high mp's are not a priority for you, look for the H-10 model that is still available in the market place.

Both cameras have an excellent built-in flash unit, offering a flash range up to an amazing 20+ feet, but they also offer 10X of optical zoom which is very convenient as well. I have attached an H-10 photo sample for you.

Have a great day

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 10:43 AM   #3

There aren't a lot of reviews of the F70EXR at this point. But those I've looked at did not show miraculous results by the F70EXR. Which is not to say it's not a neat camera, I would love to have one just to experiment with.

Quote:
My last several cameras have been fuji because of the high iso.
Agreed, my own Fuji F45fd is fearless about setting high ISO in its Auto modes. But this is really a programming issue. Most brands have tried to deal with low light by reducing noise at medium ISO and programming to put the Auto ISO in that range. So they go to strong NR (see Nikon and Sony, looks like Canon is now coming on board too) or image stabilization (durn near everybody at this point). Fuji programming just goes straight for very high ISO and lets the chips fall where they may. Different approaches to the low light challenge. Which I view as equally valid. But it would help if the reviews would do a better job of mapping out the Auto programming for compacts.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:31 AM   #4

This is not to say that the H20 isn't a good choice, nor to say that Fuji programming wizardry isn't at least partly to credit for Fuji's overall low light excellence, but doesn't the F70EXR, at least, have a special sensor, too? Different from its competitors'. That combined with programming makes it good at high ISO's.

There is a review posted here:
http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...f70exr_review/
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 12:27 PM   #5

robbo-

Many thanks for the link to the review. And to answer your question: Yes, the F70EXR does indeed have a very specialized imager, hence the EXR designator in the F-70's name. At a low price of $234.00, this camera, IMO, will be in many a Christmas stocking this year.

I would have no qualms in recommending the Fuji F70 EXR camera to netman. In fact I have ordered one for myself today.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 7, 2009, 12:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
robbo-

Many thanks for the link to the review. And to answer your question: Yes, the F70EXR does indeed have a very specialized imager, hence the EXR designator in the F-70's name. At a low price of $234.00, this camera, IMO, will be in many a Christmas stocking this year.

I would have no qualms in recommending the Fuji F70 EXR camera to netman. In fact I have ordered one for myself today.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks everyone. I think i am going with this camera for my wifes birthday in a couple weeks. I think she will be very happy with it. I really want to get her a dslr but she doesnt like the size. Maybe a T1i for xmas.

Sarah you must have quite a camera collection. I have been coming here for years and you are one of the ones I remember.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 6:26 PM   #7

netman-

Yes, I think that your wife will like the Fuji F-70EXR, the sample photos posted over at dpreview were pretty impressive. Yes, I have way too many cameras. My husband often reminds me of that.

A T-1 would make a really nice Christmas present. Wow! My F-70EXR arrives tomorrow, so I will post some sample photo for you to see.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 7, 2009, 9:17 PM   #8

I cant wait to see the photos and hear what you think of the camera.