Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 5, 2009, 5:46 PM   #1

Default Canon 5D Mark ll and DBuys.com Buyers BEWARE!

I wish my first post was on a more positive side, but I have to inform the public before someone else gets ripped off. I did a Google search of the company before making the purchase, but I should have dug allot deeper.

Canon 5d Mark ll
***BUYERS BEWARE***
DBuys.com misleads and lies about selling Canon USA Cameras.
DBUYS.com are NOT authorized CANON dealers. DBUYS.com sell Gray market cameras with NO Canon WARRANTY cards even after specifying with the sales people and their customer service people that you want to buy a USA Canon Camera & USA Canon Warranty.
Once you have the camera and realize the scam, they will promise to send warranty cards, to prolong the return time period and then charge re-stocking fees or deny returns with RMA.
They have my $3600. I have no Warranty and its not covered by Canon. They have sent me two defective cameras with the promise of USA warranty cards and have not delivered and will not allow returning the product. Beware, they know the system and will scam unsuspecting customers!
freedom35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2009, 10:58 AM   #2

It makes me mad every time I read stuff like this. It's unbelievable the lack of regulation in this type of business. My motto has always been: if the price is too good, beware! There are a multitude of online electronic retailers scamming people left to right. When I buy expensive items online, I always stick to the reputable stores (in the case of cameras, I shop at Amazon, B&H, Adorama, Beachcamera/BUYDIG, Abes of Maine and a couple others) AND I use my American Express card. In situations such as this, I'd call AMEX and dispute the charges. They are awesome and will fight for your rights. So, I'd suggest you contact your CC bank and dispute the charges.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 4:14 AM   #3

Default Message from Helen, Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
It makes me mad every time I read stuff like this. .........I always stick to the reputable stores (in the case of cameras, I shop at Amazon, B&H, Adorama, Beachcamera/BUYDIG, Abes of Maine and a couple others)
It makes me mad, too. If they have any sense they will respond to your posting at www.reselleratings.com and do the decent thing.....

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

HelenOster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 4:51 AM   #4

man that sucks... all i can say is karma is a big huge you know what... hopefully they do the decent thing here.
JayStar86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 1:58 PM   #5

"Do the decent thing"??? These people are not decent. If they were, they would not have done it in the first place instead of doing their way and then having to fix it by doing the decent thing. What I don't get it is the fact that with so many laws against false advertising, merchants such as this can stay in business. All I can say is that, unless we stop being so greedy, trying to save nickels and dimes by shopping at such retailers, they will continue exploiting people.

Tullio
Old Oct 7, 2009, 2:38 PM   #6

Well said Tullio-

DBuys already has a bad reputation. Now it is time to advise folks as much as possible that there are indeed about 6 very reputable suppliers out there. The balance fallminto greater and greater degrees of schlock.

One rule of thumb that JimC used to use is this: if the retailer is in Brooklyn,NY. Watch out!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 2:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
One rule of thumb that JimC used to use is this: if the retailer is in Brooklyn,NY. Watch out!

Sarah Joyce
I agree. The problem is that sometimes you don't know where these people are located (their websites do not provide addresses or phone numbers, except for the 800 numbers).

Tullio
Old Oct 7, 2009, 3:40 PM   #8

That easy info to determine, Tullio-

Just go to www.resellarratings.com and they will tell you instantly and also give you feedback as well on their business dealings.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote