Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 8, 2009, 1:25 PM   #11

How far were you from the subjects, Sarah? It looks grainy and blurry to me, compared to John's photos (not as a criticism, I realize there is a great cost difference in the setups! he he)

John G, what camera/flash did you use?
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 1:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post
How far were you from the subjects, Sarah? It looks grainy and blurry to me, compared to John's photos (not as a criticism, I realize there is a great cost difference in the setups! he he)

John G, what camera/flash did you use?
Yeah, just a slight difference in price. It's not fair by any stretch to compare image quality / sharpness between Sarah's photos and mine. The cost of the camera/lens/flash I was using is way out of line with any solution you're considering. What you CAN judge is lighting. What the photos demonstrate is how a bounced flash can light up a very decent area. The flash I used was a Canon 580exII. But you don't need the power output of that flash to get the same results - a 430ex or Sigma 530 would do plenty good enough. Below the 430 there are smaller flashes but then you start to run into issues with them being underpowered for bounce work unless you're right on top of your subjects.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 2:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Yeah, just a slight difference in price. It's not fair by any stretch to compare image quality / sharpness between Sarah's photos and mine. The cost of the camera/lens/flash I was using is way out of line with any solution you're considering. What you CAN judge is lighting. What the photos demonstrate is how a bounced flash can light up a very decent area. The flash I used was a Canon 580exII. But you don't need the power output of that flash to get the same results - a 430ex or Sigma 530 would do plenty good enough. Below the 430 there are smaller flashes but then you start to run into issues with them being underpowered for bounce work unless you're right on top of your subjects.

ahh, so yours was bounced. Hmmm. I guess my standards and my budget aren't seeing eye to eye!
Old Oct 8, 2009, 3:22 PM   #14

javacleve-

The photo you are referring to was taken with a point & shoot camera:the Sony H-20, cost $240.00. So we should not expect DSLR quality. The photo was taken from across the room, a distance of approximately 18 feet. The flash used in that photo was from the H-20's built-in flash unit.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Oct 8, 2009 at 3:24 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 3:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
javacleve-

The photo you are referring to was taken with a point & shoot camera:the Sony H-20, cost $240.00. So we should not expect DSLR quality. The photo was taken from across the room, a distance of approximately 18 feet. The flash used in that photo was from the H-20's built-in flash unit.

Sarah Joyce
oh yes, I understand--there's no comparison! I wasn't sure what John G was using, was why I made that comment.. Your photo is great for being 18 feet away with a p&s!