Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 6, 2009, 2:06 PM   #1

Default Nikon D300s or wait for Canon EOS 7D

I have a Canon 40D and a Canon 17-55 f2,8 IS. I am not pleased with the sharpness of the pictures when I zoom in to 100% in Photoshop Elements.

I am thinking of selling all my Canon equipment and buy the Nikon D300S with the Nikon lens 16-85, but the Nikon has just got 12,3 MP. Would this be a good buy, or should I wait for the Canon EOS 7 D ?

Can anyone on the forum please give me a good advice.
Labbegutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2009, 2:13 PM   #2
Administrator

Yes. Keep your 40D. ;-)

You're not going to get great sharpness at 100% Viewing size on screen from any dSLR. You're viewing the equivalent of a very large print at 100% viewing size on screen.

You don't have a high enough pixel density (pixels per inch) to view an image at 100% size if you want to see a very sharp image with a typical monitor.

Also, most dSLR models don't sharpen an image as much for more "real" retained detail. Contrast, saturation and more are at lower default levels (again, so you retain more real detail with better dynamic range, less in the way of blown channels from saturation settings that are to high, etc.).

But, you can set those types of parameters higher via camera settings if desired (or use an editor for even better results).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 2:47 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labbegutt View Post
I have a Canon 40D and a Canon 17-55 f2,8 IS. I am not pleased with the sharpness of the pictures when I zoom in to 100% in Photoshop Elements.

I am thinking of selling all my Canon equipment and buy the Nikon D300S with the Nikon lens 16-85, but the Nikon has just got 12,3 MP. Would this be a good buy, or should I wait for the Canon EOS 7 D ?

Can anyone on the forum please give me a good advice.
My advice is to stop zooming in to 100%.

Seriously why are you doing that? Are you planning on printing a lot of poster-sized prints and examining them under a loupe?

What do your prints look like?

Actually, I've changed my mind. Sell your Canon equipment to me at a discount and get the Nikon. When you're not happy with the Nikon at 100% zoom then sell the Nikon equipment to me at a discount and buy yourself a Phase One P65+ digital back. When you're not happy with .... continue until I have one of each camera I would like. *evil laughter*

Last edited by peripatetic; Oct 6, 2009 at 2:51 PM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 3:49 PM   #4

[QUOTE=peripatetic;1006535]My advice is to stop zooming in to 100%.

Seriously why are you doing that? Are you planning on printing a lot of poster-sized prints and examining them under a loupe?

What do your prints look like?

/QUOTE]

Thank you for your wise words. The reason that I zoom in to 100 % is that I have read in a book about Photoshop Elements that I should always do that before I sharpen the picture.

I will make some prints of my files to see how they are. I will make prints up to A 4.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 4:06 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Zooming in to sharpen is a good idea. But all you are trying to judge is how much to sharpen.

The best approximation of how an A4 print will look is a 25% or 50% view.

Read this article if you haven't already.

http://luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/sharpness.shtml

And if you really really want to know what it's all about, read this book (yes a whole book on sharpening!):

http://www.amazon.com/World-Sharpeni...4859580&sr=8-1
Old Oct 7, 2009, 4:50 AM   #6

wait for 7D
JayStar86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 9:21 AM   #7

I just got the prints back from the shop. The 6x4 prints seemes very good. Some of the A4 prints very good, but some were not as sharp as I was hoping for.

I would like to sell my Canon equipment and buy a NikonD300S with a 16-85 IS-lens, but I will wait to see some reviews about the Canon 7 D.

Thank for all the good advice.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 12:56 PM   #8
Administrator

Did you try increasing your in camera settings for sharpness, contrast, etc.?

You can change these settings when you select a Picture Style. By default, in camera sharpening tends to be quite low with most dSLR models.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote