Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 10, 2009, 12:18 PM   #11

mll7-

I purchased the F-70EXR and am very pleased with it. I have attached a photo that clearly shows the F-70EXR is able to capture very fine detail.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 7:26 AM   #12

Default hiiiiiii

Suggested Digital Cameras:
  • Kodak EZ200 (640x480 resolution; available at Adorama for $130)
  • Olympus D-360L (1280x960 resolution; complex features; available at Adorama for $270).
  • Kodak DC3400 (1760x1168 resolution, good for prints to 8x10; excellent image quality; available at Adorama for $400).
Software developer
geeksworld1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 8:17 AM   #13

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your time to post a photo, in all honesty and please take no offense, but I am pretty disappointed by the quality of the photo. It produces too much noise to my likings.
mll7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:34 AM   #14

mll7-

Good morning to you! No offense taken at all. I have had very similar thoughts as well. nice detail, but likewise more noise too. Perhaps the better choice might be the Fuji F-200EXR. At any rate the search continues.

Have a good day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:12 AM   #15

For smooth renderings, Canon and Sony have relatively strong noise reduction. Noise characteristics are like color characteristics, different folks will have different preferences.

Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook View Post
For smooth renderings, Canon and Sony have relatively strong noise reduction. Noise characteristics are like color characteristics, different folks will have different preferences.

Kelly
Do you trade loss of detail for that noise reduction?
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:52 AM   #17

javacleve-

It really depends on the point and shoot camera. That is why a lot of folks will prefer cameras that capture a lot of detail. That is their first priority. Then they are happy to use software like Neat Image, and Noise Ninja to take care of the noise. As a result, depending on the camera model involved, they often end up with a superior photo.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
javacleve-

It really depends on the point and shoot camera. That is why a lot of folks will prefer cameras that capture a lot of detail. That is their first priority. Then they are happy to use software like Neat Image, and Noise Ninja to take care of the noise. As a result, depending on the camera model involved, they often end up with a superior photo.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Yes, that sounds good! Thank you, Sarah!
Old Oct 14, 2009, 2:09 PM   #19

Sarah nailed it. Folks who want smooth results straight out of the camera will accept noise reducion. Those who don't mind performing PP will likely be more tolerant of noise, again, depending on the particular characteristics of the noise. And those characteristics certainly do vary from camera model to model.

Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 2:20 PM   #20

I have to say I had never heard of Noise Ninja and the like, before coming to this forum. I did basic PP (actually with my old Olympus digicam software, it gives me the most control, such as color, contrast, gamma, overall sharpness levels, etc.)--but it is certainly not as flexible and powerful as what you all are describing