Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 6, 2009, 3:46 PM   #1

Default What camera to buy

I am new here, and to be honest I probably not going to post a lot here (or any other forum) but knowing this now I still hope some people still want to help

I want a new camera and have a few items I really want:
- Compact camera
- I become a father for the first time, so pics of my child will be very important
- Best quality possible at low ligt
- Wide angle
- Zoom
- Dont care about mega pixels

I have been reading reviews and looking at example shots for months and they just seem to confuse me more and more

I narrowed down my search to these models (but this list keeps changing almost as fast as new camera's pop out):
- Panasonix LX3
- Canon S90
- Ricoh CX1, CX2
- Fuji F200EXR
- Fuji F70EXR
- But I am open to all suggestions

Any help and personal opinions are welcome, and thanks in advance if you take the time to read and reply.
mll7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2009, 3:58 PM   #2

I've used the sony H20 and it may be suitable. Its not a wide lens but has a great flash which may be useful for the baby pix...do a search here for thread containing h-20
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 4:27 PM   #3

mll7-

Welcome to the forum. Of course we are always here to help everyone. I a bit confused by your requirement: "best quality possible in low light." Does that mean that you are not intending to use your camera's built-in flash unit? Or does that mean the best possible quality when using the camera's built-in flash unit?

If you mean not using any flash, then you had better consider a DSLR camera which, due to it physically larger imager can take photos rather easily without flash under the proper conditions.

I have attached a DSLR photo taken without any flash. this photo was taken with a Sony A-230 camera on stage.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Oct 6, 2009 at 4:30 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 2:06 AM   #4

Thanks Littlejohn, the Sony H20 seems to be great but I do really want wide angle lens.

Thanks Sarah, what I meant was indeed that I am looking for the holy grail in a digicam, I want (as close as possible) DSLR quality in a small as possible package. Indeed I want a camera that has good low light quality without the need of a flash.
But I really don't want the size of a DSLR, I am realistic so of course I am willing to make concession in quality but I would like to have the best that is out there.

One time I thought I found it in a Sigma DP1/DP2, but reading the reviews and looking at some real photos instead of the ones that are on the Sigma site I decided this wasn't the camera for me.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 12:08 PM   #5

mll7-

I also looked at the Sigma DP-2, and decided against it. I have also looked at the micro 4/3 cameras, but the initial 4/3 introductions were, once again, short in terms of image quality and lens quality.

The best 4/3 implementation thus far has been the Panasonic GF-1. However, I am waiting for a larger variety of professional reviews on the GF-1. www.dcresource.com has done a review and it is very positive.

In the meantime, I continue trucking my DSLR cameras around, while attempting to keep the lenses carried to a minimum.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 7, 2009, 1:02 PM   #6

In my lurking on various sites what I seen about the Panny LX3 in low light is that you need the RAW mode. It's low light JPGs are nothing special, so may as well go with the Fuji F200EXR for JPG. It's not clear to me that the new F70EXR has any gain over the F200EXR, except for more zoom of course. The F200EXR does have a big sensor. I am keeping my fingers crossed for reviews of the coming Canon S90 and Sony WX1.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 1:33 PM   #7

kelly-

It is the price and what the F-70EXR can do that is very attractive. I did not want to invest in the F-200EXR due to it price, but the F-70 EXR is cheaper and provides excellent, but with a somewhat lower mp in resolution.

i will post samples as soon as I receive the F-70 EXR that I ordered.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Oct 8, 2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 5:06 AM   #8

Hi,

I find the 4/3 still too big to carry around with...

I am really looking forward to some real life F70EXR shots, hope to see some shots soon.

Oh by the way, the F70EXR is here (the Netherlands) more expensive then the F200EXR, in general the F70EXR is about 50 more but even then these camera's are 'cheap' compared to a LX3 or S90.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 11:15 AM   #9

mll7-

A quick price check shows the F-70EXR at $(US)235.00 and the F-200EXR at $(US)315.00.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 10, 2009, 10:00 AM   #10

Hi Sarah,

In the Netherlands it is the other way around. The 70 is cheaper

219,00 for the F200EXR
299,00 for the F70EXR

What would do you think quality wise which camera would be better?