Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 7, 2009, 4:34 PM   #1

Default Replacement for a Canon Powershot A75

Our A75 started acting up (wouldn't display) so we sent it in to Canon for a supposedly free fix but in the meantime I'm looking for a new replacement. I thought overall the A75 took pretty good pictures but never thought indoor pictures looked as good as outdoor pictures it seemed the pictures were too dark and I thought it used batteries kind of fast but maybe they all do.

Our picture taking consists mainly of family pictures, shooting our dogs (not literally), and taking pictures of quilts my wife makes then transferring them to our computers. We do make prints from them but rarely bigger than 5x7's.

Camera features I want:

1. Set to auto and take good pictures in most circumstances

2. Large LCD screen maybe 3"

3. Shoots a bit faster than the A75

4. Shoots better inside pictures than the A75

5. The A75 had a 3.0x Optical/3.2x Digital/10x Combined Zoom whatever that actually meant so I would like at least that much of a zoom and maybe a longer if it had an Image Stabilizer of some sort just so the extra zoom didn't hinder taking normal range pictures.

6. Camera that can reduce blur when shooting our dogs that seem to always move.

I would like to spend $200 or lower but would go higher if needed and while I like Canons I'm open to other brands.

Last edited by mccoady; Oct 7, 2009 at 4:53 PM.
mccoady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2009, 5:14 PM   #2

mccoady-

The Sony H-20 cameras could meet all of your requirements with ease and provide the best flash range in the compact camera category and the advantages of IS (Image Stabilization) as well. I purchased my H-20 at Buy.com for $242.00

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Oct 7, 2009 at 5:18 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 5:35 PM   #3

The Fujifilm J250, Kodak M381, Nikon S230, and Sony W230 all have a 3" LCD and are all priced under $200. The Canon SX120 IS has a 3" LCD, but is priced about the same as the Sony H20.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 6:24 PM   #4

kelly-

Those cameras all match the OP's specifications. However, I think you are overlooking the professional reviews that those cameras received, which is not great for any of those cameras. I always prefer to check the reviews, and that is where the Sony H-20 trumps the other cameras.

In addition, the H-20's built-in flash performance again trumps the built-in flash performance of any of the cameras you have listed by a wide margin.

No offense intended. But when we drill down to the fine details on the suggested cameras, we have to consider image quality, optical performance, and camera handling when making a camera suggestion on which the OP is about to spend their hard earned cash.

I own and actively use a Sony H-20. I know the camera very well. Do you own and use the cameras you have suggested? If you don't, that is not critical. But we do, I believe, have to have read and digested the professional reviews on the cameras that we recommend if we don't own and use the suggested camera or cameras.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 7, 2009, 7:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Do you own and use the cameras you have suggested?
Nope, I haven't owned any of the cameras that I listed. Do you plan on asking me this every time?

Kelly
Old Oct 7, 2009, 8:00 PM   #6

Kelly-

No, I do not intend on asking you that question every time. However, when we answer here on the forum we do have some rather substantial responsibilities. The OP is about to spend money based on our recommendations, so we have to be be careful, precise, and on target.

So if you don't own the suggested camera, tell the OP that information. Tell the Op that you are making your recommendations based on paper specifications. We have a serious responsibility to be honest, open, and up front with any poster.

JohnG and Jim C taught me that. It is NOT our money, it is the OP's money.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 7, 2009, 8:18 PM   #7

Sarah, Kelly thanks for responding and offering your suggestions I was hoping I could stay under $200 if possible since my old A75 cost $170 and it was a decent camera although there was things it could do better.

After posting I did a little searching and found possibly the Canon A2000 IS (around $195) might work since it got a pretty good review here but maybe with questionable build quality. I thought my A75 was solidly built but have they cheapened camera's a lot since I bought it so that you have to spend close to $250 to get a camera that doesn't feel like cheap plastic?

If one has to spend that much is the Sony H-20 a lot better than the Canon SX120 IS?

I read the excellent review here on the Sony H-20 but doesn't it sound like overkill for someone like me wanting a point and shoot camera set to auto mode and is not a heavy camera user? Also the price is $250-$260 plus shipping.

Mike

Last edited by mccoady; Oct 7, 2009 at 9:22 PM.
mccoady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 10:12 PM   #8

Mike-
I apologize, but, that is where camera prices have gone. I sincerely offered you a good alternative camera. However the choice is entirely up to you!

If you want a Kodak M-830 at $159.00, then please go for it. However, i sincerely attempted to answer your question very honestly and sincerely. I am sorry that the price of the Sony H-20 (a great Camera, which I actually own) does not match your budget.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:50 PM   #9

Wow!

Quote:
The OP is about to spend money based on our recommendations, so we have to be be careful, precise, and on target.
In the first place, if you read my post, nowhere does the word "recommendation" appear. I was simply listing possibilities based on the specs given in the OP. In the second place, I had no intention of giving precise, on target instructions. That implies picking the camera for the member. My intention is to guide him toward making his own choice of camera, not picking it for him. When JohnG or Jim C feel the need to scold me for my sloppy, insufficiently serious posts, they are certainly entitled to do so. In fact, it would be their duty to do so. But until that time, we shall have to agree to disagree.

Kelly
Old Oct 8, 2009, 2:19 AM   #10

Thanks for sharing. It's great