Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:28 PM   #101

As for the prime vs zoom lens question, I am not sure I understand why you are saying prime lenses would drive up the cost?

In my case, I'd be happy to start with a 50 mm equivalent prime, and add the telephoto later.
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:29 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
javacleve-

We will say it again, there is no perfect DSLR camera out there. Anyone in the market today, has to be willing to make a few compromises.
Somehow I feel scolded by this statement...
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:40 PM   #103

No, javacleve-

We are sorry you took it that way and we offer our apologies. However, please scream particularly loudly when you find your perfect camera, as we are all searching for that camera.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:42 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
No, javacleve-

We are sorry you took it that way and we offer our apologies. However, please scream particularly loudly when you find your perfect camera, as we are all searching for that camera.
Yes, I will be sure to let everyone know. I did state that I knew I would have to compromise, just for the record...I just am not sure which things to compromise!
Old Oct 12, 2009, 11:09 PM   #105

Javacleve-

Well, then perhaps we should discuss it in some detail.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 12, 2009, 11:27 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post
Somehow I feel scolded by this statement...
This IS the internet...the tone of posts can't be readily seen. If you feel scolded ask why? You've been given a TREMENDOUS amount of information. In my short time here I haven't seen as much info bestowed on one person...consider your self 'special' not scolded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post
...I just am not sure which things to compromise!
I think therein lies the 'problem'.....From John G's posts he's as much said..therre is NO way you're gonna get great gym photos with a level entry camera. From what i've interpreted from 'all' the posts..to get good pics from an entry level camera...is gonna require an AWESOME photographer, and a bit of luck.

So with your budget and skills, and I am assuming here but Good photographers don't buy entry level DSLRS, the first thing off your list is gym photos.

As i see it, if you were to spend the $$$ needed to get good gym photos, the equipment would 'perhaps' be over your head anyways and you still wouldn't get good photos.

If you are limited like me...in knowledge and funds, accept the fact that you need to start ..at the bottom. Select a well priced, well reviewed camera (after trial) and go out and snap pictures..gyms ones (see what JohnG is talking about) try to see if you can copy Hiros pics...once your mastered the entry level then perhaps you'll be wiser and willing to step up to the next level and challenge yourself in the gym.
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 4:19 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
This IS the internet...the tone of posts can't be readily seen. If you feel scolded ask why? You've been given a TREMENDOUS amount of information. In my short time here I haven't seen as much info bestowed on one person...consider your self 'special' not scolded.

I think therein lies the 'problem'.....From John G's posts he's as much said..therre is NO way you're gonna get great gym photos with a level entry camera. From what i've interpreted from 'all' the posts..to get good pics from an entry level camera...is gonna require an AWESOME photographer, and a bit of luck.

So with your budget and skills, and I am assuming here but Good photographers don't buy entry level DSLRS, the first thing off your list is gym photos.

As i see it, if you were to spend the $$$ needed to get good gym photos, the equipment would 'perhaps' be over your head anyways and you still wouldn't get good photos.

If you are limited like me...in knowledge and funds, accept the fact that you need to start ..at the bottom. Select a well priced, well reviewed camera (after trial) and go out and snap pictures..gyms ones (see what JohnG is talking about) try to see if you can copy Hiros pics...once your mastered the entry level then perhaps you'll be wiser and willing to step up to the next level and challenge yourself in the gym.
Yes, that's why I posted that (to clarify). I had just posted "So, if there isn't a camera that meets all of these criteria--the question is, which ones should I compromise!?" so it didn't seem necessary to remind me to compromise, is all...
Thanks for letting me know that I had received more input than other people usually do here--I just thought you all were very giving of your time and input! Thank you all for that!

I agree that giving up the gym photos is necessary (although it might be possible to leave the door open for future expansion, as John G suggested--in which case I would need to consider that in which equipment to buy).
Other than that, there are still the questions about low light IQ, flash, fast focus, etc. Sarah has already weighed in on some of my concerns (the sensor cleaning and noise reduction being non-issues) and given her opinion on my flash requirements.

So, I guess all that's left for me to do is start trying some cameras. I'm just kind of torn between sticking with the much-appraised Canon xsi versus going up to the T1i for future expansion abilities, or the Olympus line (giving up the sports idea if so)...
Old Oct 13, 2009, 5:42 PM   #108

javacleve-

You and JohnG are much more experienced in the light that is generally found in gyms.Three years ago I did a publicity series for a local gym, but they specifically requested that I use flash to provide "greater clarity." That made things very easy for me. I seemed to be much more concerned about using flash during gymnastic routines, than they were. However, somebody did it for them in the past and they were not satisfied with the results.

So that pretty well outlines the level of difficulty involved in shooting gymnastic routines. If specific high ISO settings are needed,keep in mind that the canon XSi tops out at ISO 1600, the Canon T-1 would be the logical and more speced out choice, based on a need for high ISO settings, and the T-1, would also give you video clips as well.

The more limited high ISO capabilities of the Olympus line of DSLR cameras, and the smaller imager size, seems to dictate against future realistic gymnastics photo usage for that camera brand.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 13, 2009, 6:12 PM   #109

javacleve-

If I were you, I would go with the Canon T1i. I would recommend the T1i to my friends also.

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 8:18 PM   #110

OK, one more thing, to those who have use the T1i and xsi: do you find the image quality to be as good on the T1i? I have found several reviews which said they had both cameras, and thought the T1i had a loss of IQ compared to the xsi, and most importantly, that it seemed "softer" (I think I prefer sharper images). They also said that it performed poorly at ISOs 800 or above. Given that I am particularly interested in lowlight situations, that concerns me (and it was the main concern I had earlier regarding the xsi)...
I realize everything is subjective, and there were plenty of good reviews on the T1i--but most people aren't using it in lowlight conditions.
Anyone with experience with both cameras and lowlight?