Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 13, 2009, 7:35 PM   #111
Super Moderator

the noise characteristics are not different between the xsi and t1i in their shared range. actually the resolving power is not much different between these 2 cameras at a given ISO. the sharpness, color, contrast would be very similar given similar camera settings, given they use a similar image processor, the t1i is 1 generation newer, but nevertheless still the same family. the biggest difference is with the t1i is you can go to 3200 ISO if you need it. that is something you simply cannot do with the xsi. the t1i also gives you 4 noise reduction levels, letting you pick how much "smoothing" the camera's jpeg engine does.

if you shoot low light, the t1i is the obvious choice. not because its image quality is any better. because it simply offers a higher ISO and more control over noise reduction parameters.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 8:25 PM   #112

and it has more pixels too...
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 8:29 PM   #113
Super Moderator

regardless of a few more pixels, the resolving power is not different. per pixel sharpness is better on the xsi, the t1i has more pixels, so its a wash in their shared range.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 8:32 PM   #114

That is a very good analysis, Hards-

Once again, the buyer makes the decision after taking into consideration all of the details.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 8:41 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
regardless of a few more pixels, the resolving power is not different. per pixel sharpness is better on the xsi, the t1i has more pixels, so its a wash in their shared range.
That's what I've been told too..I was just pointing it out...more pixels = more $$$,,, but not always better pics..
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 9:52 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
the noise characteristics are not different between the xsi and t1i in their shared range. actually the resolving power is not much different between these 2 cameras at a given ISO. the sharpness, color, contrast would be very similar given similar camera settings, given they use a similar image processor, the t1i is 1 generation newer, but nevertheless still the same family. the biggest difference is with the t1i is you can go to 3200 ISO if you need it. that is something you simply cannot do with the xsi. the t1i also gives you 4 noise reduction levels, letting you pick how much "smoothing" the camera's jpeg engine does.

if you shoot low light, the t1i is the obvious choice. not because its image quality is any better. because it simply offers a higher ISO and more control over noise reduction parameters.
Have you used both cameras, then? I know that theoretically the resolving power, etc. SHOULD be the same, but the reviews I saw said that, nonetheless, it was not. At least one of the reviews also said they specifically turned the noise reduction off in order to see if that was the problem, and still preferred the xsi.
I realize reviews can be biased, but when there is more than one saying the same thing, it gets my attention. Just wondered if anyone here actually used both cameras, and what their experience was with that issue.
I'm trying to find those reviews if you want to see them...
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 9:59 AM   #117

Here's one (snipped):
3. Picture taking, I think that the XSi actually take sharper and clearer images than the T1i. Probably because the T1i has more megapixel and if you use 18-55mm lens, it will actually show that the 18-55mm lens is pretty cheap when taking pictures. I also tried on the 50mm on both camera, pretty good result but XSi just a tiny little bit sharper. And when you reach ISO 1600 on the T1i, it get pretty noisy. T1i just a bit noisy than the XSi. When you reach ISO 3200, things get pretty loud and you would like one of those expensive lens that take silent pictures. Overall the T1i and XSi picture taking is almost the same. XSi if you want silent pictures and T1i if you want ISO 3200 or more.
Resource: I own Canon Rebel XSi, Canon Rebel XS, Canon Rebel T1i, Canon 5D Mark II, and Nikon D90.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:03 AM   #118

Javacleve,
Here's my opinion on noise in cameras. First, whatever camera it is - turn off in-camera noise reduction. Second, one camera with higher MP for a given sensor size will appear to have more noise - it stands to reason - it's got more MP. The real question is - how do images look after YOU run them through noise reduction on the computer. A higher MP camera MAY have more noise but it MAY have more detail too. So, after a run through noise software, how do the images appear? THATs the tougher question to ask. And it's where many reviews fall down. And it's not just within camera line. A review may state Camera A from Nikon has more noise than Camera B from Canon. But a person who actually uses the camera in the field may find it's simply a matter of Nikon having different noise reduction algorithms in their jpeg conversion. They MAY find Nikon retains more detail and after processing on the computer the Nikon images have more detail than Canon. This is the challenge with DSLR photography and the challenge in particular with Noise and how it is handled. One thing I will say is BAD is when default jpeg conversion of a camera removes too much noise/detail and you're forced to shoot RAW.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:09 AM   #119

Now I'm not finding the one where the person said they turned off the noise reduction...but in reading the others again, I am guessing that the main problem is the kit lens. Others mentioned softness, but they did not mention playing with the noise reduction--so perhaps that is also one of the reasons for the poor reviews (the people saying it is soft haven't tried turning off the noise reduction). So that is a good point, Hards!
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:11 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Javacleve,
Here's my opinion on noise in cameras. First, whatever camera it is - turn off in-camera noise reduction. Second, one camera with higher MP for a given sensor size will appear to have more noise - it stands to reason - it's got more MP. The real question is - how do images look after YOU run them through noise reduction on the computer. A higher MP camera MAY have more noise but it MAY have more detail too. So, after a run through noise software, how do the images appear? THATs the tougher question to ask. And it's where many reviews fall down. And it's not just within camera line. A review may state Camera A from Nikon has more noise than Camera B from Canon. But a person who actually uses the camera in the field may find it's simply a matter of Nikon having different noise reduction algorithms in their jpeg conversion. They MAY find Nikon retains more detail and after processing on the computer the Nikon images have more detail than Canon. This is the challenge with DSLR photography and the challenge in particular with Noise and how it is handled. One thing I will say is BAD is when default jpeg conversion of a camera removes too much noise/detail and you're forced to shoot RAW.
Thank you, John, that makes a lot of sense and I agree. So my one question is about your last statement--whether the T1i removes too much noise in jpg?