Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 16, 2009, 10:48 PM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
javacleve-

The Nikon D-5000 has the same high ISO capabilities of the D-90, but because there is no focusing motor built into the camera body, it can only use Nikon's AF-S category lenses.

The Olympus E-620 is a nice camera, I own one, however, it is not a DSLR camera that I would ever characterize as a high ISO capable camera.

So, once again, we are back again to a lens choice. Based your observation at the gym this evening (10/16), how close, in feet, were the 2 ladies taking photos with their Costco sourced Panasonic cameras, that we need a sample from and the model? You see how close you can be, REALLY does make a BIG difference in the lens choice.

I have attached a photo taken with a Sigma 30mm F 1.4 lens mounted on a Nikon D-50, using ISO 800. Please keep in mind that I was taking these photos right at the very edge of the stage.

Sarah Joyce
nice shot, Sarah! Good question about the distance--I am not a good judge of that, by any means. But I can say that for the bar, you are pretty much close to it if you are on the floor seating area (at our gym). The beams are a little further back, and you'd have to be in the front row of the floor seating, but still not a great distance. For floor routines, the best bet is being up in the overhead seating and getting there early enough to be on the rail--then you have the bar equipment directly below you and directly behind that is the floor...so, not so close.
They did say that vault was out of the question (it's waaaay at the back).
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2009, 10:50 PM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Actually, even the widest aperture will not blur the background because in reality, say f2.8 on a P&S, it represents f5.6 or even f6.1 on a DSLR. The alternative is to use zoom (the long zoom models will work best). As you zoom in, you reduce DoF. So, if you step back from the subject and zoom in on it, you are going to get better results in terms of blurred background than if you try to shoot WA at f2.8.
OK, this I am not understanding...the f stop is different on a P&S? Is that going back to the earlier explanation John G gave about the effect of sensor size (and since the P&S sensor is smaller, you will get a greater DOF for a given setup?)

I doubt these moms were getting blurred backgrounds, I think they were just happy to have a clear shot of their daughter in action (just my assumption here)
Old Oct 16, 2009, 10:56 PM   #213
Super Moderator

re: the nikons. i should have said it lacked a focusing motor in body. so nikon lenses that do not have a focusing motor in them will not autofocus on a d5000. only the af-s lenses or 3rd party lenses with built in focusing motors.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:03 PM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
re: the nikons. i should have said it lacked a focusing motor in body. so nikon lenses that do not have a focusing motor in them will not autofocus on a d5000. only the af-s lenses or 3rd party lenses with built in focusing motors.
OK, so there are some lenses you can get for the D5000 that will have autofocus (but they might be more expensive or limited in choice)?

I just found out that the E620 has an adaptor available, which allows use of the old Olympus OM lenses (of which I have several), manual focus only...this is making me squeal a little over the E620...

Let me ask this, when you all say that the Oly doesn't do as well in high ISO, would the PP help with that?
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:13 PM   #215
Super Moderator

here is an example i found comparing the e620 / nikon d90 / and a canon 5dmkii at various ISO's. that will give you an idea of the magnitude of the difference.

http://www.neutralday.com/iso-compar...os-5d-mark-ii/

here's some more

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse620/page14.asp
(canon 500d = british version of t1i)

Last edited by Hards80; Oct 16, 2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:33 PM   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
here is an example i found comparing the e620 / nikon d90 / and a canon 5dmkii at various ISO's. that will give you an idea of the magnitude of the difference.

http://www.neutralday.com/iso-compar...os-5d-mark-ii/

here's some more

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse620/page14.asp
(canon 500d = british version of t1i)
fantastic!!! To quote the first one,
"For a near $600 camera, the Olympus E-620 provides better ISO results than more expensive cameras a generation ago. Thatís no small thing for an entry level camera, and from a smaller sensor than the other contenders. Given the cameraís intended market, the results will likely be more than enough. In the Nikon D90ís case, the camera is intended for more advanced amateurs, or perhaps even as a backup for semi-pro/pro use. Itís hundreds of dollars more than the Olympus E-620, but provides a cleaner stop of ISO and performance well suited for itís likely consumers. As for the 5D2, itís substantially more expensive than the others, but provides perhaps 2 more stops of very clean and detailed ISO than the D90, in other words for pro and serious amateur use, it provides high levels of performance."
I could certainly live with the Oly results, based on this comparison at least (I'm sure that it will vary with real life conditions)
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:37 PM   #217
Super Moderator

before you jump the gun on the e620. might want to check what fast prime lenses are available for oly 4/3 and how much they cost. as we have seen in the other thread, fast primes in other mounts than canon/nikon can be quite expensive
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:39 PM   #218
Super Moderator

for the record if it weren't for the indoor sports stuff, i think the e620 would be an exceptionally great dslr.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:41 PM   #219

On the dpreview site, I actually don't like the Nikon D5000 images. They have less noise, but to me they are soft throughout all of the ISO range. I like the Oly E620 and Canon T1i pretty much equally...
ETA: and, could I use PP to remove some of that noise without softening too much like the built-in NR does?
The exception being the RAW (Nikon D5000 does better then)

as for the lenses, that's a good point, Hards...the store did show me a 400mm equivalent max zoom that he said was good and not too expensive compared to the 300 mm Nikon and Canon ones, but I don't think it was f2.8 as it wasn't HUUUUUGE like the Nikon f2.8 one was LOL

Last edited by javacleve; Oct 16, 2009 at 11:57 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:50 PM   #220

For large aperture medium telephoto lenses, Olympus has a 35-100mm f/2.0, presuming the Olympus AF system is up to the task of sports/wildlife shooting.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote