Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:01 PM   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post

the store did show me a 400mm equivalent max zoom that he said was good and not too expensive compared to the 300 mm Nikon and Canon ones, but I don't think it was f2.8 as it wasn't HUUUUUGE like the Nikon f2.8 one was LOL
That would be the 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 (eq 100-400mm) SWD lens. It's about $1200. The non SWD version is about $1000.

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:40 PM   #222
Super Moderator

jesus. that 35-100 2.0 is a 2,000 lens. well, not surprising considering the optics required to pull off something like that.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 7:58 AM   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
jesus. that 35-100 2.0 is a 2,000 lens. well, not surprising considering the optics required to pull off something like that.
  • Good
  • Fast
  • Cheap
Pick any two.
I forget who here said that, but it stuck.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 8:03 AM   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
  • Good
  • Fast
  • Cheap
Pick any two.
I forget who here said that, but it stuck.
oooh, that's perfect. succinct.
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 8:05 AM   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiro1963 View Post
That would be the 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 (eq 100-400mm) SWD lens. It's about $1200. The non SWD version is about $1000.

- Hiro
I forget, what is SWD? I neglected to ask the store manager the price But I DID tell him upfront that I thought I would have to save up for the gymnastics lens. It seems that no matter what system I look at, though, with gymnastics in the equation we are looking at a lot of cash for the lens. The sweet thing about the Oly one is that it was not too big. Of course, it is 3.5 at the zoom end, not 2.8....
Old Oct 17, 2009, 8:27 AM   #226

Quote:
I forget, what is SWD?
"Supersonic Wave Drive"

From the Olympus website:

"Olympus-proprietary SWD technology has enabled an ultra-fast, whisper-quiet, high-precision AF system. Two compact, high-powered SWD devices power autofocus at an ultra-high speed by exciting unique elliptical oscillations, while an ultra-compact 5.3mm x 4.3mm optical encoder detects and controls the lens drive position using direct rotation detection without reduction gear. This enables it to achieve a level of precision that's accurate to 5 microns (5/1000 mm). When used in combination with the new E-3, which offers improved AF computation and lens-body communication rates, the SWD motors provide the fastest focusing speed of approximately 170 ms (0.17 seconds)."

Quote:
I neglected to ask the store manager the price But I DID tell him upfront that I thought I would have to save up for the gymnastics lens. It seems that no matter what system I look at, though, with gymnastics in the equation we are looking at a lot of cash for the lens. The sweet thing about the Oly one is that it was not too big. Of course, it is 3.5 at the zoom end, not 2.8....
... which means even longer shutter speeds in low light, and so even more motion blur due to subject movement.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 8:27 AM   #227

OK, just for kicks, since I am on my other computer today, I'm going to try and post some more (lousy) gymnastics photos, as a reference... first off, for reference, the beam one is the same photo as before but with no PP other than resizing to post here (not even cropping)...these were taken from the upper seating area rail, so I could get closer if I was in the floor seating area, if I could be in the front row.
This gives an idea of how close I could get, the lighting, and the ability of my current P&S (Nikon L14)
The floor routines would be behind the lower bars but more directly in front of me instead of angled to the left (from the upper level; from the floor seating, they'd be hard to see because the bars would be in the way) (this is an older photo, same camera and vantage point)

Trying to find the ones taken with my N80...
Attached Images

Last edited by javacleve; Oct 17, 2009 at 8:34 AM. Reason: add pic
Old Oct 17, 2009, 8:39 AM   #228

First, there's no EXIF data, so we can't tell what the settings were.

Second, there's a lot of motion blur due to subject movement.

Third, the vertical lines seem to be sharper than the horizontal lines, so I suspect there's a fair amount of motion blur due to camera shake as well.

Fourth, there's also a lot of noise.

So, a faster shutter speed would help with all the motion blur (camera shake and subject movement), which means you need a larger aperture and/or a higher ISO. Because of the noise, the ISO is already too high, and you probably can't open the aperture any further.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 8:40 AM   #229

Even following her around with flash after class, the photos are marginal...is it me or the camera? (or both!)
Attached Images

Old Oct 17, 2009, 8:44 AM   #230

I'll have to come back later and look for the N80 photos, gotta go to a bday party...(I had them put on CD when developed)