Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 17, 2009, 8:47 AM   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
First, there's no EXIF data, so we can't tell what the settings were.

Second, there's a lot of motion blur due to subject movement.

Third, the vertical lines seem to be sharper than the horizontal lines, so I suspect there's a fair amount of motion blur due to camera shake as well.

Fourth, there's also a lot of noise.

So, a faster shutter speed would help with all the motion blur (camera shake and subject movement), which means you need a larger aperture and/or a higher ISO. Because of the noise, the ISO is already too high, and you probably can't open the aperture any further.
How do I make sure the exif is there? I just resized the photo and posted it as an attachment...
and yes, I'm not surprised there is camera shake (that's why I keep emphasizing the need for IS! and I think this camera has it!).
I know the photos are bad , I am posting them for a couple reasons: to give a reference for the person looking for a P&S, and to give a reference of the size and lighting of my gym. These were taken with my L14 P&S, so the aperture, ISO and shutter speed are limited.
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 9:17 AM   #232

OK, found the Nikon N80 photos (same gym--but these were taken from the parents' viewing room, not the upper level seating--so you see reflection on the glass), they were from 4 years ago LOL...
There is no data since they were scanned, but I am assuming I used 800 speed film. The first one I assume was not zoomed f2.8, the second probably had the zoom maxed out at 85mm f4; obviously f2.8 isn't even enough with 800 speed film...
I probably then manually overrode the settings because the shutter speed was too slow, so they are underexposed in order to get a reasonable shutter speed (which I of course don't recall the exact setting)...
obviously, not enough zoom for the situation but, again, just posting for reference...still pretty noisy
I did some PP in order to print a few of these, and was able to brighten them up at least
Attached Images

Last edited by javacleve; Oct 17, 2009 at 9:21 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 9:37 AM   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post
Even following her around with flash after class, the photos are marginal...is it me or the camera? (or both!)
Actually, technically, that shot is good. The aperture was f/3.1 and the ISO was 84, and while the shutter speed of 1/30 second would have been too slow, what matters is the duration of the flash which is fast enough to freeze the motion.

Last edited by TCav; Oct 17, 2009 at 9:57 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 9:42 AM   #234

Quote:
How do I make sure the exif is there? I just resized the photo and posted it as an attachment...
What program did you use to resize it. Some photo editting applcations strip out the EXIF data and some don't. The last image, the one where you used the flash, contained the EXIF data.

Quote:
and yes, I'm not surprised there is camera shake (that's why I keep emphasizing the need for IS! and I think this camera has it!).
But if you can use a shutter speed that's fast enough to freeze the motion blur due to subject movement, you'll usually freeze the motion blur due to camera shake as well.

Last edited by TCav; Oct 17, 2009 at 9:59 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 9:57 AM   #235

Quote:
OK, found the Nikon N80 photos (same gym--but these were taken from the parents' viewing room, not the upper level seating--so you see reflection on the glass), they were from 4 years ago LOL...
There is no data since they were scanned, but I am assuming I used 800 speed film. The first one I assume was not zoomed f2.8, the second probably had the zoom maxed out at 85mm f4; obviously f2.8 isn't even enough with 800 speed film...
I probably then manually overrode the settings because the shutter speed was too slow, so they are underexposed in order to get a reasonable shutter speed (which I of course don't recall the exact setting)...
obviously, not enough zoom for the situation but, again, just posting for reference...still pretty noisy
I did some PP in order to print a few of these, and was able to brighten them up at least
Actually, the EXIF data in these images show they were taken with a Nikon CoolPix 3200. The first was shot at 1/60, f/2.8, ISO 138, with flash, and a focal length of 5.8mm (35mm film equivalent: 38mm.) The second was shot at 1/60, f/4.9, ISO 200, with flash, and a focal length of 17.4mm (35mm flim equivalent: 115mm.) Since the flash was used, adjusting the shutter speed wouldn't have affected the results, and since you were behind glass, much of the flash would probably have been reflected back into the room. And what didn't wouldn't have reached the subject with enough of an intensity that would have made any difference. That's why these are underexposed.

Last edited by TCav; Oct 18, 2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 10:00 AM   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Actually, the EXIF data in these images show they were taken with a Nikon CoolPix 3200. The first was shot at 1/60, f/2.8, ISO 138, with flash, and a focal length of 5.8mm (35mm film equivalent: 38mm.) The second was shot at 1/60, f/4.9, ISO 200, with flash, and a focal length of 17.4mm (35mm flim equivalent: 115mm.) Since the flash was used, adjusting the shutter speed wouldn't have affected the results, and since you were behind glass, much of the flash would probably have been reflected back into the room. That's why these are underexposed.
hmm, I'm confused...guess I need to go back and look again (later)...but I used the same program to resize all of them! It was the Olympus Camedia software that came with my original digi cam
Old Oct 17, 2009, 10:13 AM   #237

Quote:
OK, this I am not understanding...the f stop is different on a P&S?
The correspondence of the f/stop is different between P&S and DSLR. If you check the new generation of P&S out there you'll find that in most brand/models the f/stop goes from f2.8 to f8 (some faster cameras the fstop starts at f2.0 but never goes pass f8) while DSLR lenses can go from f1.4 to f32 (I'm not sure there is any lens that goes beyond that).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 10:13 AM   #238

Quote:
hmm, I'm confused...guess I need to go back and look again (later)...but I used the same program to resize all of them! It was the Olympus Camedia software that came with my original digi cam
Then, perhaps, the EXIF data was stripped out of the other images before you resized them. That's too bad.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 9:10 PM   #239

TCav, I saved the image that is in my post, and the exif is missing, but if I open the file that I uploaded on my computer, it is there--weird! Should I try reposting those images, or can I just tell you what is there?

For example the one with her on top of the bars with the coach standing there, says it was taken with a Nikon L14, with flash ON (but I find that hard to believe, as this was at a meet?!), fnumber 4.6000, exposure time 0.022075, exposure level 2 (don't know what that means), ISO 1000, MaxApertureValue 3.300, Meter Mode 5, Flash 16, Focal length 12.3000

The one on the lower bar says flash on again, Meter Mode 5, ISO 640, exposure program 2, flash 25, focal length 12.3000, fNumber 4.6, exposure time 0.008333, MaxApertureValue 3.3000

The beam one also says Flash ON, fNumber 5.90000, ISO 1000, MaxApertureValue 3.300, exposure program 2, Meter Mode 5, flash 16, focal length 18.900

Last edited by javacleve; Oct 17, 2009 at 9:21 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 9:26 PM   #240

OK, I guess there was only a couple pictures in this folder from my Nikon N80, along with others from my old digicam, so that's what happened earlier...I THINK this is one of the N80 ones, no data because it was scanned...
Attached Images