Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 19, 2009, 12:26 PM   #261
Super Moderator

3200 is pretty much the ceiling for any aps-c.

noise difference between the canon 15mp sensors and the sony 12mp sensors is negligible.

and her aversion to the d90, and lack of focus motor on lesser nikons takes those out of the equation.

and her aversion to the price/size of 50d leaves that one out.

i think this is one question where there really is 1 answer. the canon t1i.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 9:57 PM   #262

Yeah, I think you are all correct. The only caveat is that, the T1i is still fairly large (although not too heavy) so with that being said, perhaps the 50D is still in the running. I was hoping the Nikon D5000 would be a contender but alas, no. It seems to be down to Canon!
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:01 PM   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Sorry if I've dampened your enthusiasm. During this entire post, you've made it clear as to what your image quality expectations were. That, and the fact that the primary purpose of this new camera was to photograph your daughter involved in indoor gymnastics. I thought it important that you know that there are better choices out there. I just don't believe you'll be happy with the results using the E-620.

Unless, of course you attach a 90-250mm 2.8 SWD Olympus lens to it. But then that sells for around 5,000bucks. On second thought.............. forget I said that.

Zig
no, it's not you, you just confirmed by experience what everyone else was saying. You are correct about my quality expectations and the gymnastics situation. The only thing that's really throwing me off is that gymnastics isn't the ONLY thing, and I probably can't afford the lens that I would need right now anyway. So, in the meantime, I will have a big camera that I will possibly not use because it is tucked away in my closet. Plus, I always threw my P&S in my purse, and took it with me often...with a big camera, I will have to haul around a camera bag, and I won't be able to leave it in the car for fear of it being stolen. I am not good about keeping track of my stuff, so I fear I will set the camera down and leave it or have it stolen, if I can't have it in my purse around my neck... THAT'S the downside to the T1i
Old Oct 20, 2009, 12:36 AM   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post
..with a big camera, I will have to haul around a camera bag, and I won't be able to leave it in the car for fear of it being stolen. THAT'S the downside to the T1i
Honestly, if you think about it, the size difference between the small E620 to the big D90..isn't THAT much when placed in a camera bag described above. It seem thast when you say you want small..its the P&S in the purse thats really gonna work for you.

Java, about a 1000 posts ago, ..I said that it was looking like two cameras for me. I ride horses and you can't keep track of your stuff, we have a lot in common lol...seriously we are having similar issues.We need a camera to

#1) catch that "oh my god, gotta get a pix of that"
and
#2) "I better take the camera , oh and that telly lens too, might have some neat photo ops tonight"

To me..its two cameras.
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2009, 4:02 AM   #265

Quote:
... The only caveat is that, the T1i is still fairly large (although not too heavy) ...
I beleive that's the first time I've ever read that someone thinks one of the Digital Rebels is large.

What you need is a lens that lets in a lot of light. That, all by itself, will make a camera bigger and heavier than the cameras you're accustomed to.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2009, 10:35 AM   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
Honestly, if you think about it, the size difference between the small E620 to the big D90..isn't THAT much when placed in a camera bag described above. It seem thast when you say you want small..its the P&S in the purse thats really gonna work for you.

Java, about a 1000 posts ago, ..I said that it was looking like two cameras for me. I ride horses and you can't keep track of your stuff, we have a lot in common lol...seriously we are having similar issues.We need a camera to

#1) catch that "oh my god, gotta get a pix of that"
and
#2) "I better take the camera , oh and that telly lens too, might have some neat photo ops tonight"

To me..its two cameras.
Yeah, I know, I know....you described the dilemma very well! I was just hoping that the newer dSLRs were small enough that I could get away with one camera, because in my limited experience, I rarely use the #2 camera (and because of the shutter lag of the P&S cameras, drives me crazy---maybe I should get a FILM P&S and stick with a digital SLR?!). Given that I already invested hundreds of dollars in my N80 system for that very situation, I'm hesitant to do the same thing again, and find that it sits on the closet, again...
Old Oct 20, 2009, 10:36 AM   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I beleive that's the first time I've ever read that someone thinks one of the Digital Rebels is large.

What you need is a lens that lets in a lot of light. That, all by itself, will make a camera bigger and heavier than the cameras you're accustomed to.
yeah, it's all relative. You're talking to SLR owners, I'm a P&S owner... Well, I do have an SLR, but I don't use it for the reasons already described at length
Old Oct 20, 2009, 10:48 AM   #268

Quote:
Yeah, I know, I know....you described the dilemma very well! I was just hoping that the newer dSLRs were small enough that I could get away with one camera, because in my limited experience, I rarely use the #2 camera (and because of the shutter lag of the P&S cameras, drives me crazy---maybe I should get a FILM P&S and stick with a digital SLR?!). Given that I already invested hundreds of dollars in my N80 system for that very situation, I'm hesitant to do the same thing again, and find that it sits on the closet, again...
Why film?? isn't that more costly in the long run??? Or did you mean the other way around?

If so, you could pack a digital P&S take pics to determine the settings etc for taking the pics with the Film Nikon for those special shots. And still have the small camera always with you for those 'capture the moment' shots.

Meanwhile...manufactures will be building smaller and better slrs (which won't be slrs per sec.) and you can purchase then..(plus maybe you won the lottery by then too)
Old Oct 20, 2009, 10:52 AM   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
Why film?? isn't that more costly in the long run??? Or did you mean the other way around?

If so, you could pack a digital P&S take pics to determine the settings etc for taking the pics with the Film Nikon for those special shots. And still have the small camera always with you for those 'capture the moment' shots.

Meanwhile...manufactures will be building smaller and better slrs (which won't be slrs per sec.) and you can purchase then..(plus maybe you won the lottery by then too)
I was kind of being tongue in cheek, but a film P&S doesn't have the lag time that I loathe, so that's why I said that...
I think I actually spend more on my pictures now that I am digital. The theory that I "don't have to print them all" has caused me to take waaaay more photos, and then I end up wanting to print a LOT of them
Old Oct 20, 2009, 3:33 PM   #270

Quote:
I was kind of being tongue in cheek, but a film P&S doesn't have the lag time that I loathe, so that's why I said that...
I think I actually spend more on my pictures now that I am digital. The theory that I "don't have to print them all" has caused me to take waaaay more photos, and then I end up wanting to print a LOT of them
I am sure there is 12-step program for that.

Hi my name is Java, I am powerless over printing photos...and my life is unmanageable.