Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 20, 2009, 3:37 PM   #271

Java...see this..http://forums.steves-digicams.com/1011207-post18.html.
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2009, 4:31 PM   #272

littlejohn-

If you are referring to the HDR feature of the Sony A-500, it does work via the Exposure Compensation feature, it is a separate feature that takes the clipped highlights out of photo by combining two photos together.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2009, 4:39 PM   #273

Hello again, javacleve-

Yes, the Canon XSi arrived this morning (10/20) right on schedule. It looks to be light, fast, and quite handy. I will have to get my head into the documentation to give the camera a fair shake. However, this is one of the DSLR cameras we promised to look at in depth. In fact, I was quite surprised at how in weight and how compact the Canon XSi really is. Still, keep in mind the top of the shop on ISO settings is ISO 1600.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 20, 2009, 8:56 PM   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
I am sure there is 12-step program for that.

Hi my name is Java, I am powerless over printing photos...and my life is unmanageable.
bwaa haaa haaa! It wouldn't be the only 12-step program I should be in, unfortunately
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2009, 9:01 PM   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Hello again, javacleve-

Yes, the Canon XSi arrived this morning (10/20) right on schedule. It looks to be light, fast, and quite handy. I will have to get my head into the documentation to give the camera a fair shake. However, this is one of the DSLR cameras we promised to look at in depth. In fact, I was quite surprised at how in weight and how compact the Canon XSi really is. Still, keep in mind the top of the shop on ISO settings is ISO 1600.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
yay, I can't wait

On another note, I brought my N80 with 85mm zoom to the gym this evening just to give it the old college try...fuggeddaboudit. From the parents' viewing room, the bars are directly outside those windows, and I still had the whole high bar in my viewfinder when zoomed out.
What I did realize, though, is that there is NO WAY I would be lugging around an EVEN BIGGER lens! It was hard for me to hold this one still as it is. My neck hurt after an hour, and I certainly wouldn't want to be setting it down. Everyone commented on how massive my camera was, and I felt very conspicuous. I just really don't see it happening unless I do decide to try and sell some of them--and even then, the learning curve is going to be very steep, I fear. I'm not sure I'm up for that.
I think getting a smaller, more useful camera, and hiring someone for the gymnastics might be the best solution after all. This gym does not hire a photographer, so I am not sure if they'd allow floor access, but it's worth asking...
Old Oct 20, 2009, 9:05 PM   #276

Oh, one thing I should add, that I found there were 2 different focusing modes on my N80, and I had selected one a long time ago for reasons I don't recall...BUT for kicks I tried the OTHER mode (don't know the name but I'm thinking it was spot mode) and it was MUCH faster at focusing! I played with both settings, and the mode I had it in kept hunting, whereas the new mode just went right to the thing I was pointing it at...so that does help explain some of my complaints about the Nikon "focus hunting."
It helps to play with the camera settings
Old Oct 20, 2009, 9:40 PM   #277

Well, of course, javacleve-

The choice is entirely up to you. You asked, and we attempted to give you the needed answers. Thanks for giving it a good try.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 20, 2009, 10:06 PM   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post
On another note, I brought my N80 with 85mm zoom to the gym this evening just to give it the old college try...fuggeddaboudit. From the parents' viewing room, the bars are directly outside those windows, and I still had the whole high bar in my viewfinder when zoomed out.
What I did realize, though, is that there is NO WAY I would be lugging around an EVEN BIGGER lens! It was hard for me to hold this one still as it is. My neck hurt after an hour, and I certainly wouldn't want to be setting it down. Everyone commented on how massive my camera was, and I felt very conspicuous. I just really don't see it happening unless I do decide to try and sell some of them--and even then, the learning curve is going to be very steep, I fear. I'm not sure I'm up for that.
I think getting a smaller, more useful camera, and hiring someone for the gymnastics might be the best solution after all. This gym does not hire a photographer, so I am not sure if they'd allow floor access, but it's worth asking...
First, the Canon T1i is a good deal smaller than your N80, and it's lighter too.

Second, by virtue of its crop factor of 1.6X, a Canon 100mm f/2.0 lens would have an angle of view identical to the first of the two photos the other parent took with her LZ5. Also, a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 lens would have an angle of view that is actually smaller (greater magnification) than the second of the two photos from the LZ5.

Because of the T1i's crop factor, your test of the angle of view was actually not a valid comparison.

In other words, you can get some of the same types of photos that other parent is getting, but yours will be A LOT BETTER! Yes, your gear will cost more, and be bigger, and weigh more than her LZ5. But the results will be worthy of framing.

Last edited by TCav; Oct 20, 2009 at 10:11 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:20 PM   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
First, the Canon T1i is a good deal smaller than your N80, and it's lighter too.

Second, by virtue of its crop factor of 1.6X, a Canon 100mm f/2.0 lens would have an angle of view identical to the first of the two photos the other parent took with her LZ5. Also, a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 lens would have an angle of view that is actually smaller (greater magnification) than the second of the two photos from the LZ5.

Because of the T1i's crop factor, your test of the angle of view was actually not a valid comparison.

In other words, you can get some of the same types of photos that other parent is getting, but yours will be A LOT BETTER! Yes, your gear will cost more, and be bigger, and weigh more than her LZ5. But the results will be worthy of framing.
OK, so are you saying, never mind the advice for getting GREAT photographs of gymnastics, and just go with a good system/lens that will give me GOOD photographs (way better than I am getting)? ie forget the 200mm f2.8 lens? and it will still be better than anything a P&S will get? That's kind of what I was asking for, actually...

good point about the crop factor, I had forgotten about that...so my 85mm N80 would be more like a 50mm lens on the T1i?
Old Oct 21, 2009, 1:43 AM   #280

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
littlejohn-

If you are referring to the HDR feature of the Sony A-500, it does work via the Exposure Compensation feature, it is a separate feature that takes the clipped highlights out of photo by combining two photos together.

Sarah Joyce

No actually I was referring to a comment made here in this forum. It was suggested that +-5 Ev was best for HDR...
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote