Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 21, 2009, 6:52 AM   #281

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post
OK, so are you saying, never mind the advice for getting GREAT photographs of gymnastics, and just go with a good system/lens that will give me GOOD photographs (way better than I am getting)? ie forget the 200mm f2.8 lens? and it will still be better than anything a P&S will get? That's kind of what I was asking for, actually...
Sorry. No. I'm saying that you should follow the advice to get GREAT photographs. You seem to be balking at the idea of a larger, heavier camera, and I understand that. But it's not as bad as your test probably led you to beleive. And I'd like to add that the obvious quality of the resulting images will far outlast any discomfort you might feel resulting from carrying and handling the gear.

Quote:
good point about the crop factor, I had forgotten about that...so my 85mm N80 would be more like a 50mm lens on the T1i?
In round numbers, yes.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 8:56 AM   #282

Put simply, if you'd be happy with photos similar to those the other parent sent to you, then by all means get another LZ5. What hasn't happend here is that you haven't said whether or not you think those photos are acceptable.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:45 PM   #283

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Put simply, if you'd be happy with photos similar to those the other parent sent to you, then by all means get another LZ5. What hasn't happend here is that you haven't said whether or not you think those photos are acceptable.
hmm, that's a good question...I do think they are way better than MINE, but they don't thrill me.
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:47 PM   #284

Quote:
Sorry. No. I'm saying that you should follow the advice to get GREAT photographs. You seem to be balking at the idea of a larger, heavier camera, and I understand that. But it's not as bad as your test probably led you to beleive. And I'd like to add that the obvious quality of the resulting images will far outlast any discomfort you might feel resulting from carrying and handling the gear.

In round numbers, yes.
Ahh, but with the 200mm f2.8 lens, it WILL be worse than my test scenario. That's the rub. Perhaps a 100mm f2.8 lens would be okay, I haven't seen one... I know you are correct about the image quality; it's just a matter of whether ANY pictures get taken due to the size of the camera....
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:51 PM   #285

Quote:
... it's just a matter of whether ANY pictures get taken due to the size of the camera....
No one can answer that for you.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:57 PM   #286

Quote:
hmm, that's a good question...I do think they are way better than MINE, but they don't thrill me.
How did you feel about the photos posted in those Sports threads I provided links to?

See National Gym Challenge

See Daughters gymnastics compitition

See Gymnastics

See Gymnastics Event (2 tiring days)

Because that's the quality we're talking about here. A Canon T1i with a 100mm f/2.0 lens or a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 lens will produce those kinds of photos.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 1:08 PM   #287

oh, yes, those photos were awesome for sure...but like I said before, the equipment was pretty pricey for most of the shots! I didn't see any that were specifically the T1i with a 100mm lens...I'll have to check them out again don't forget about the skill of the photographer, too--I'm not sure I will get photos like those, even with the awesome camera!
Old Oct 21, 2009, 1:21 PM   #288

Quote:
oh, yes, those photos were awesome for sure...but like I said before, the equipment was pretty pricey for most of the shots! I didn't see any that were specifically the T1i with a 100mm lens...I'll have to check them out again
But of the many differences between the cameras they were using and the Canon T1i, image quality isn't very high on that list.

Quote:
don't forget about the skill of the photographer, too--I'm not sure I will get photos like those, even with the awesome camera!
But that will come with time as long as your equipment isn't holding you back, and you've got an incentive: you want to take good photos of your daughter doing gymnastics. If you use the right gear and take a lot of photos, trust me, occasionally, you'll screw up and get a few good ones. Those are the successes you can build on.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 1:24 PM   #289

Quote:
Ahh, but with the 200mm f2.8 lens, it WILL be worse than my test scenario. That's the rub. Perhaps a 100mm f2.8 lens would be okay, I haven't seen one... I know you are correct about the image quality; it's just a matter of whether ANY pictures get taken due to the size of the camera....
Here's the whole thing in a nutshell - you need to handle the T1i with kit lens. THen and only then will you be able to decide if that camera / lens is too bulky for your normal shots. You've already indicated you'd be happy with built in flash. So, handle the camera and decide. If you think it's too big then this is all moot. It simply doesn't matter - you won't use the camera. And, another 2 dozen posts back and forth here still won't help you decide - TCAV, Sarah, myself - no one hear can help you decide if it's too big.

NOW, I would suggest that the bulk of a lens for gymnastics not be a huge consideration. You're only going to be using the lens for 'special occasions'. If you think you're likely to leave a lens home instead of taking it on the handful of occasions to the gym then this is again a huge waste of time and energy. You have to decide for yourself if you can accept that amount of slight inconvenience.

I would suggest that if you can accept the size / weight of T1i and kit lens and you're willing to pull out a larger lens for gymnastics then it's simply a matter of COST and EXPECTATIONS. When this all started I explained you're going to be constrained by distance. I would suggest that a sigma 70-200 2.8 ($820) is your best bet. Short of that (in terms of $$$) the next step down is the Canon 100mm 2.0 ($450) - but I'll suggest again that after 30 feet don't expect good results.

At this point you're just not going to get more useful suggestions from members here. Your other alternative is to keep looking at photos from other moms and when you find photos you can accept, buy the gear they're using. But in all honesty this is going around in circles here. Any "good" shot shown/linked to was taken with a DSLR at least as big or bigger than the T1i and was either taken with a 70-200 2.8 type lens or a shorter lens (like the 85mm 1.8) but closer than you'll be.

So, if you can't make up your mind on the size/weight then keep looking at photos from other parents until you see photos from a digicam that are good enough for you. We can't judge 'good enough' for you.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 1:25 PM   #290

Quote:
But of the many differences between the cameras they were using and the Canon T1i, image quality isn't very high on that list.

But that will come with time as long as your equipment isn't holding you back, and you've got an incentive: you want to take good photos of your daughter doing gymnastics. If you use the right gear and take a lot of photos, trust me, occasionally, you'll screw up and get a few good ones. Those are the successes you can build on.
ok, good point. The 100mm is the part that concerns me, though...seems like 200mm is what is recommended (and that makes it humongous!!!)