Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 8, 2009, 12:40 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post
Actually, I'd be thrilled with a few "awesome" shots!
Wouldn't hiring a photographer be just as expensive as buying my own camera?! Especially if I wanted to do it more than once? It's a good thought, though (one we employed for our wedding ) In that case, though, he used a Hasselblad...
Actually, it isn't that bad. If this is club gymnastics you may very well find that a number of meets have a pro already working the meet. If it's HS gymnastics maybe or maybe not. But the key is to keep your eye open.
As an example, for something like a HS dual or tri meet where the entire meet is less than 3 hours I will charge $150 to cover a team and that team gets the DVD of all the edited images. For basketball or volleyball it's $100. Divided by 4 parents that's $20. Pretty cheap. Many sports photogs will simply charge by the image - they'll shoot for free and you buy the images either printed on site if they're a big outfit or sold on-line - the method I used to employ. Of course, if it's any type of money up front you'll want to see actual photos. But, be aware - photogs that employ this method aren't likely to return if they simply make $25. In my experience I find a LOT of parents that like to view photos but when it comes time to pry the money out of the wallet they're less interested.. That type of photography was referred to as "shooting on spec" (spec standing for speculation). So, even if you find a photog that doesn't charge up front money you still want to get other parents on the buying bandwagon. Otherwise if you want the pro back again they're going to decline because it isn't worth their time.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 12:43 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Actually, it isn't that bad. If this is club gymnastics you may very well find that a number of meets have a pro already working the meet. If it's HS gymnastics maybe or maybe not. But the key is to keep your eye open.
As an example, for something like a HS dual or tri meet where the entire meet is less than 3 hours I will charge $150 to cover a team and that team gets the DVD of all the edited images. For basketball or volleyball it's $100. Divided by 4 parents that's $20. Pretty cheap. Many sports photogs will simply charge by the image - they'll shoot for free and you buy the images either printed on site if they're a big outfit or sold on-line - the method I used to employ. Of course, if it's any type of money up front you'll want to see actual photos. But, be aware - photogs that employ this method aren't likely to return if they simply make $25. In my experience I find a LOT of parents that like to view photos but when it comes time to pry the money out of the wallet they're less interested.. That type of photography was referred to as "shooting on spec" (spec standing for speculation). So, even if you find a photog that doesn't charge up front money you still want to get other parents on the buying bandwagon. Otherwise if you want the pro back again they're going to decline because it isn't worth their time.

Where do you live? I'd hire you for that price! Not sure anyone around here is getting the results you are!
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 12:46 PM   #33

Quote:
Photos are always helpful. There used to be guidelines somewhere about file sizes but I can't find them anywhere. In general I wouldn't post anything larger than 400x600. If you have a site that hosts photos you could provide a link to a full size image. That way people can view the larger size if they choose but it doesn't clog up a page at Steves for people still using dial-up.
OK, I resized this so it's a tad grainier, but you get the idea...this is ballet, which is indoors but I can get closer. She's not moving much here, so it's not too bad to me (gives you an idea of how low my standards are?!). It's grainy but at least the pixels aren't discolored. Must have decent lighting in this studio...
Attached Images

Old Oct 8, 2009, 12:47 PM   #34

Quote:
Where do you live? I'd hire you for that price! Not sure anyone around here is getting the results you are!
I appreciate the compliment. I happen to live in NE Ohio. Where do you live? It's possible there's another sportsshooter member in your area. Can't guarantee it but it's possible.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 12:51 PM   #35

Another thing I love to photograph...flowers. This one was indoors at a zoo Rainforest. I am not too unhappy with this photo, though I'm sure it could be waaay better and if I compared it to someone else's photo in the same situation I'd be disappointed (usually what happens--I think mine are okay until I see someone else's!)
Attached Images

Old Oct 8, 2009, 12:52 PM   #36

Quote:
I appreciate the compliment. I happen to live in NE Ohio. Where do you live? It's possible there's another sportsshooter member in your area. Can't guarantee it but it's possible.
OMG, I am in NE Ohio!!! I live in North Ridgeville, the gym is in Avon Lake (would that be a "club" gym? it's not hs, she's 7 )
Old Oct 8, 2009, 12:56 PM   #37

This one is a good example of how BAD I am Indoors with a flash, why the heck it's blurry is beyond me...perhaps because of the lag, I moved the camera before it took the picture. I def don't have the steadiest hands...

looking for a gymnastics photo still, I'm on the wrong computer so I'm looking at CD's of pictures I've taken to print
Attached Images

Last edited by javacleve; Oct 8, 2009 at 1:00 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 1:21 PM   #38

OK, found one...obviously, rather far away and dim light = super grainy and blurry. YUCK.
Attached Images

Old Oct 8, 2009, 1:22 PM   #39

Quote:
Actually, I'd be thrilled with a few "awesome" shots!
Wouldn't hiring a photographer be just as expensive as buying my own camera?! Especially if I wanted to do it more than once? It's a good thought, though (one we employed for our wedding ) In that case, though, he used a Hasselblad...
Well. there's my point...buy a 'cheaper' camera...shoot away..you'll get some great shots..and a bunch of so-so...that the beauty of digital...no processing costs.

And for the special event you can enjoy the show...while John here is climbing all over the jumps and trampolines etc. getting that 'perfect' shot just for you....
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 1:24 PM   #40

Quote:
OK, found one...obviously, rather far away and dim light = super grainy and blurry. YUCK.

BUT...preserves the future memory right? ...(maybe I am the only one here, but i have a hard time deleting photos...a bad photo is better then no photo.. )
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote