Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:03 PM   #1

Default Camera for Father...

I am looking to purchase a camera for my father. He is fairly experienced with cameras (meaning he will utilize features) and also with software (for general editing purposes). Also, he will definitely research add-on options/upgrades etc if available. The majority of photos taken are family shots, but we do have some little ones involved in sports that are growing up fast. So, obviously there's nothing "high-speed", but some action shots will present from time to time. With that said, I am in the $500 range, preferably no more.
From what I can tell this seems to be the breaking point before stepping up to dslr, which I can't see being necessary for what we need. Being a first year medical student, I honestly don't have much time to research this myself, so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction at least! That said, if someone could give me the best options (at least a few) under $500 I would appreciate it. Thank you so much for your time. Take care.
future_osteopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2009, 1:16 AM   #2

You know...with going thru the debate myself...for myself...I can't imagine picking on out for Dad if he was fairly experienced...my suggestions...

1)Give him a gift certificate at a store that carries the major lines.

2) the web address for this site...
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 11:25 AM   #3

I definitely agree with you on that approach, however unless I literally hand him the camera I doubt he will use a gift certificate on himself. He's wanted a camera for several years now and has researched your site often. Also, my parents are coming to visit me at school in a couple weeks and I was hoping to have it by then. He has mentioned the Canon Rebel multiple times (or Pentax bc apparently he has a lens or two that will fit from an older camera), but ultimately wants a DSLR. Is this possible with a $500 budget?
Old Oct 8, 2009, 11:27 AM   #4

There are several other issues to deal with as well. (1) Is the camera's physical size an issue? (2) Those action photos of the children might take some zoom, how much zoom would be adequate for your Dad.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 2:29 PM   #5

The Pentax K2000 is under $500 (about $449, I think, at B&H at the moment) and the fact that your father has some Pentax lenses might make this your best choice, given your budget. You'd end up spending more for the Canon XS, which is about the only Canon that would be in your price range, and you wouldn't have the advantage of being able to use the older lenses. The Canon XSi would be a better choice for action, but definitely out of your price range.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 8:21 PM   #6

Ok, sorry to keep picking - I know ultimately I have to make the decision. BUT, what is the better choice between the Canon XS and Pentax K2000? Considering the fact that we have an extra lens or two is nice, but an extra lens is something that can easily be added for xmas (if necessary at all) or somewhere down the road.

So, assuming the previously mentioned are in fact the two best dslr options for a $500ish budget, which will be the better purchase?

Again, thanks for your help. This will be a much-deserved gift as he has waited for several years wanting to upgrade, but of course always putting the rest of us (family) ahead of himself! Take care.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 8:47 PM   #7

Either camera (the Canon XS or the Pentax K-200) are excellent suggestions. Personally I would be swayed toward the Canon XS, if the lenses your Dad already owns will fit the Canon XS model. I have attached a Canon XS informal portrait of my husband for your review.

Sarah Joyce

Sarah
Attached Images

Old Oct 8, 2009, 8:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by future_osteopath View Post
I definitely agree with you on that approach, however unless I literally hand him the camera I doubt he will use a gift certificate on himself. He's wanted a camera for several years now and has researched your site often. Also, my parents are coming to visit me at school in a couple weeks and I was hoping to have it by then. He has mentioned the Canon Rebel multiple times (or Pentax bc apparently he has a lens or two that will fit from an older camera), but ultimately wants a DSLR. Is this possible with a $500 budget?
Time for some Dad-Time.

Take him shopping. Even if you don't buy the camera at that exact moment he/you will be much more informed.

Personally, I don't like many small cameras as they don't fit my mid-sized man hands very well. And a comfortable camera is more likely to be a camera used by the owner.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 9:56 PM   #9

Stevie-

That is an excellent issue. How a camera feels in hand is really important. And you can only find out by taking the camera in hand and seeing how it feels.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 9, 2009, 11:24 PM   #10

Well, in case anyone makes it back to this thread I just wanted to let ya know I ended up waiting to make my purchase. I figured with black friday and the holiday season coming up I could save some $. And, I also came into a little extra cash so I decided to upgrade to the XSi package described below. I'm waiting until Thanksgiving to give it to him, so we'll see how it goes!

Amazon.com has a deal - Rebel XSi w/ extra lens (Canon EF-S 55-250mm) for $645 shipped. *The items must be purchased from Amazon (not 3rd party) for the discount to show up in the cart.