Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 8, 2009, 8:31 PM   #1

Default NIKON D60 or D3000

Just about to buy my first DSLR. I could get the D60 for about $430, but the D3000 (newest model) is 600$, i could wait a bit until it goes on sale I guess, no rush. But is it worth the upgrade for the "guide" feature, bigger screen and VR lens? I still want to be able to upgrade lenses in the future, get a good case and a large memory card. I want to get the best quality, I dont want to be buying a new camera all the time. But I am also on a budget, I would prefer not spending too much. Any other DSLR's that are easy to use and a good price? Looking below $600, thanks!
samar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2009, 9:31 PM   #2

Samar-

A big factor in a DSLR selection has to do with the kind of photos that you traditionally take or you might want to take in the future. For example, if photos taken under very low light conditions are high on your priority list, then neither the Nikon D-60 nor the new D-3000 cameras might be the best choice.

So, we would certainly appreciate some more information. Please tell us what type of photos you are currently taking, as well as the kind of photos you want to take in the future. Added information always helps in giving you a correct as very workable answer.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 9:51 PM   #3

Hi, thanks for your reply.
I'm new to this
I first bought the P90, hoping to get a camera between the DSLR price and a P&S. But my pictures were grainy and for a few dollars more I realized I could get a DSLR.
I mainly want to take family pictures, portraits and just family events.
Also maybe a few action shots, since a lot of my family plays sports.
Lastly, I would take scenery/nature shots.
I want a good camera for indoors, also decently easy to use. Since it is my first camera, I want to be able to understand it, I heard Nikon was the best brand for DSLR's and most affordable for entry level.
Any other questions lol, thanks again!
Old Oct 8, 2009, 9:57 PM   #4

do you know of any DSLR's that are easy to use, high quality and a good price? my budget is $600 or under, im not an expert yet, just want an entry level
and i heard the d60 was great for entry-level, so i figured the newer model d3000 was better.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 10:28 PM   #5

Thanks very much, Samar-

That information certainly does help a lot. Next question: will you be purchasing your DSLR camera in the USA or overseas?

Currently, here in the USA, the Sony A-230 is a best value DSLR camera. It comes with the Sony 18-55mm kit lens and when combined with the Sony 55-200mm lens, now selling for well under $(US)200.00, you have an excellent kit covering an effective focal length (in 35mm terms) of 28mm to 300mm. You should be able to purchase that kit, if you are in the USA, for a total of around $650.00 total.

The A-230 camera is a very capable DSLR camera. Here for example is a photo taken with the A-230 on stage at ISO 3200 without flash.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Oct 8, 2009, 10:56 PM   #6

Default Take a look at Pentax, too.

The Sony A230 is certainly a bargain. You might also, however, look at the Pentax K2000. You can get that camera with the 2 lens set (18-55mm and 50-200mm) for just over $500 at a couple of reputable etailers in the US. If you can wait and save a little money, you could get the Pentax K-x, which also has video capabilities, and higher ISO settings for low light photography. It will be selling for $649 with the 18-55mm kit lens and $749 and $849 for an additional 55-200mm or 55-300mm lens. It's coming out this month.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 10:59 PM   #7

Thanks Rob-

That is excellent input. I did not realize the Pentax K-2000 had come down that far. Thanks for calling it to our attention.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 8, 2009, 11:10 PM   #8

So, there you go Samar-

The Pentax K-2000 two lens kit at $(US) 509 with free shipping is another option for you. The ISO capability on the pentax K-2000 is not quite as high as the Sony A-230.

Here is a sample photo from the K-2000. it was taken with the Pentax K-2000 equipped with the Pentax 50-200mm lens at ISO 1600

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Oct 9, 2009, 4:07 PM   #9

Samar, if you're in the USA....I saw the Nikon d3000 kit at Walmart for $499 w/bag and 2gb memory included.
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2009, 8:48 PM   #10

Well, how about it, Anthony_b-

Did you go for the Nikon D-3000? I think that was the DSLR camera that felt best in hand (long fingers, you know!).

Have a great Holiday Weekend.

Sarah Joyce