Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 11, 2009, 2:51 AM   #1

Default Need a Camera Suggestion

Hey

My sister asked me to look at cameras for her to buy. Her needs are simple but I would like a few required features for her.

Some things I prefer is something that is durable and simple to use, with decent battery life. Also I would like for her to have a camera that uses AA's since she won't be using it all that much and it's a nice feature to have. Megapixels are relatively unimportant and the only other requirements is optical image stabilization (do any cameras not have that anymore?) and at least a 4x zoom.

Her budget is around $150 but it can be stretched closer to $200 if absolutely necessary.

The cameras I have considered so far is the Canon A1100IS but a turnoff is the low quality screen and it feels a little cheap in the hands. Also, the "comes in 4 colors" gimmick makes me suspect of it as well. On the plus side it is a relatively new model and has the Digic 4.

The other camera I considered was the Canon A2000IS. It seems to be a better all around camera with a larger, higher resolution screen. But the downside is the higher price at $180-$200, it is pretty much a year old model already and it has Digic 3.

So does anyone have suggestions on what else I should look at or have opinions with the above cameras?
RoGuE1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2009, 11:12 AM   #2

Also wanted to add I will look at suggestions of other brands than Canon.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 1:23 AM   #3

Sorry, but "other brands" for compacts will almost certainly mean not AA batteries. The AA requirement pretty well locks you into Canon. Which may be why this thread has not gotten a lot of response.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 11:04 AM   #4

Interesting, why is that Canon is the only company that makes compacts with AAs?

Regardless, of the Canons, any opinions?
Old Oct 13, 2009, 1:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Interesting, why is that Canon is the only company that makes compacts with AAs?
Good question actually. If I may be so lame as to fall back on automobile terms, the Canon A-series has grown into the Chevrolet of cameras. Well known, very good value, which is still enough reason for a fair number of buyers. The other brands gave up trying to compete with this Chevy, instead are off making sexy ultracompacts. Which are too small to have the volume inside to accommodate a couple of AA batteries. Of course that begs the question for the larger superzoom cameras, such as the Panasonic ZS3. For that market my guess would be that the other brands are dodging the curse of getting a reputation for eating batteries. Most of those old cameras that ate batteries were being fed cheap AA batts. With a dedicated ion batt there is no chance it will be a cheapo, with short life. Of course there are AA powered SLR-like ultrazooms, so that requires another twist of logic.

no help Kelly
Old Oct 14, 2009, 1:01 PM   #6

My main reasoning for wanting a camera with AA batteries, is overall camera longevity. Over the years, the unique battery will become more expensive while AAs will always be available. In my sisters case this will be a camera she will keep for many years.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 1:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoGuE1230 View Post
My main reasoning for wanting a camera with AA batteries, is overall camera longevity. Over the years, the unique battery will become more expensive while AAs will always be available. In my sisters case this will be a camera she will keep for many years.
I don't know about your sister, but I eventually drop every one of my P&S cameras, and they get so much better so quickly anyway, that she may find she wants/needs another camera in a few years anyway. That's just me, but thought I'd put the 2 cents in, because you have to weigh how important that battery issue is.
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 1:13 PM   #8

Over many years, the electronics or mechanisms inside the camera will almost certaily fail in any case. Today's digital cameras do not give anything like the service life of a classic, high quality 35mm camera. Call it future shock.

Kelly
Old Oct 14, 2009, 1:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook View Post
Over many years, the electronics or mechanisms inside the camera will almost certaily fail in any case. Today's digital cameras do not give anything like the service life of a classic, high quality 35mm camera. Call it future shock.

Kelly
exactly, well said
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2009, 9:07 AM   #10

Ok, let me ask this. Forget the AA requirement. What cameras would meet the other requirements well?